Forum Stats

• 3,723,821 Users
  • 2,244,627 Discussions
  • 7,850,722 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Oracle XE sufficient to prepare for OCA and OCP certification?

879836 Member Posts: 2
Hello Community,

I would like to become an Oracle DBA. I am very interested in the Performance Management path and the Data Warehouse Administration path. I'm sure there are other excellent paths to follow in addition to these but these are the areas I have become interested in during my twenty+ year IT career.

My question: Does Oracle XE running on Windows XP provide the necessary environment to practice the skills necessary to achieve the OCA certification? I know that in itself will not make me an accomplished DBA but I presume it is the first step.

Best Regards,
Duane
Tagged:

Answers

75407 Member Posts: 2,237
    user13263002 wrote:
    Hello Community,

I would like to become an Oracle DBA. I am very interested in the Performance Management path and the Data Warehouse Administration path. I'm sure there are other excellent paths to follow in addition to these but these are the areas I have become interested in during my twenty+ year IT career.

My question: Does Oracle XE running on Windows XP provide the necessary environment to practice the skills necessary to achieve the OCA certification? I know that in itself will not make me an accomplished DBA but I presume it is the first step.

Best Regards,
    Duane
    While Oracle XE is typically good for development certifications, IMHO enterprise edition is more recommended for aspiring DBA's (Oracle XE tends to hide some things under the covers).

If you are using XP it must be Professional (not home) edition .. an alternative is to use a virtualization technology ... vmware server ... virtualbox ... but you do really need sufficient RAM.
    879836 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply.
This discussion has been closed.