Forum Stats

• 3,836,836 Users
  • 2,262,198 Discussions
  • 7,900,127 Comments

Discussions

New Rules aka Rewards and Recognition Program

Timo Hahn
Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE DirectorMember, Moderator Posts: 38,552 Red Diamond

Well, I start this discussion because the new Document () doesn't allow comments.

This is the first time we see the whole picture of the new reward and recognition program. I scanned the new rules and directly stumbled over

Can multiple replies to the same question be marked as “Correct or Helpful”?

Yes, there can be one correct and multiple helpful replies within a single thread. The original poster will receive 50 points for marking a reply correct and 25 points for marking a reply helpful. The original poster can mark as many replies helpful as is appropriate but can only mark one reply as correct. They do get points for every reply marked as helpful.) The user who replies gets 100 points for providing a correct answer or 50 points for providing an helpful answer.

We had a discussion on this when @moniquevdb-oracle introduced the first version. However, this is what I call a nightmare.

A poster gets 25 points per answer marked helpful? So it's easy to pile up points for nothing?

I understand the incentive behind this, but if you can get more points asking then answering questions, I start asking (no I will not ). This goes into the wrong direction.

Timo

Timo HahnGiancarloB-Oracle1063652JeromeFrKayKBoneistZlatko Siroticmoniquevdb-OracleBluShadowDude!Kevin PinskyAbhishek Singh 'J_IDM'BeGinMartin PreissRakesh G TripathijgarryMarwimLevi Pereira[Deleted User]mohajaDanielD77773nath -OracleZorn's Lemma

Comments

• Brianw-Oracle
    Brianw-Oracle Member Posts: 254
    edited Feb 1, 2015 9:48AM

I'll let Monique respond further, but we will be monitoring usage and we may change this in the future if it does indeed become a problem.  If certain individuals abuse it, then we will take appropriate action

DanielD7777
  • Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,830 Black Diamond
    edited Feb 1, 2015 10:08AM

I actually don't fully understand this sentence. Who is "they"? Is is the thread owner getting 25 points for marking every helpful answer, or is it the participant, who gets 25 points for every response marked as helpful? Based on the context I think it presumably means the later.

Btw, . Has the problem been fixed, or can people still accumulate points for each helpful answer they make in a single thread, like having 4 helpful answers in one thread resulting in 100 points? In which case it could be tempting for some people to gamble the system by creating a new account to ask questions and then to provide answers to their own thread.

3nath -Oracle
  • moniquevdb-Oracle
    moniquevdb-Oracle Member Posts: 2,126
    edited Feb 1, 2015 10:22AM

Thank you for starting this thread; I updated the Rewards FAQ with a link.

We actually did find a way to limit the points you get for marking Helpful answers, and we lowered the points for marking an answer Correct. I believe it's limited to five times a day on the former but I will confirm and then let you know. Obviously I will also update the FAQ.

For providing a Helpful answer you get 50 points and for providing a Correct answer you get 100 points. I don't believe this is limited but I will double check.

We will definitely be on the lookout for any abuse or gaming of the system. We can manually deduct points from users or suspend or ban their accounts.

• moniquevdb-Oracle
    moniquevdb-Oracle Member Posts: 2,126
    edited Feb 1, 2015 11:17AM

You can now see your global rank on the community welcome page.

sdureja-Oracle
  • Dude!
    edited Feb 2, 2015 4:24AM

I just created a test post an used another account to provide 6 answers. Then I marked all answers as helpful and the last one correct. Btw, it is still possible to mark answer as helpful and correct, which has not been fixed yet. The person providing the answers recevied 400 points ( 6 x 50 + 100).

The limit for getting points for the first 5 responses marked as helpful may apply to the OP (which I forgot to test), but there seems to be no limit how many points someone can get for providing helpful answers. So 10 helpful answers in one thread can get the poster 600 points. Doing this in a couple of different forums and people can be experts in minutes.

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 42,110 Red Diamond
    edited Feb 2, 2015 4:28AM

Well, if the person answering has really been that helpful and given a correct answer, then sure, why shouldn't they earn that many points.  Often though, the correct/helpful points are awarded amongst various people, and the person with the correct answer may just get the one correct marking or maybe a correct and helpful etc.  It would be the exception where they've made that many helpful/correct posts to earn so much.

The issue here however is what the OP earns from marking the posts as correct/helpful, which can easily result in them gaining more points than the individual people who've helped.

• JeromeFr
    JeromeFr Data Integration Consulting Solutions Architect | A-Team Cloud Solution Architects Member Posts: 1,697 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 2, 2015 6:31AM

This is pretty bad.

In the old system I've already seen a few people who earned the "Expert" level only by asking questions. Which makes them nothing but an expert. I think these news rules are even worst.

One more time, levels are an indicator of expertise so it shouldn't reward anything that is not linked to expertise. No point for posting or marking something as correct. No point for submitting an idea, voting or uploading an avatar... Give badges if you want, I don't care, but not points. This is so misleading.

1063652KayK
  • Dude!
    edited Feb 2, 2015 5:04AM

Actually I don't really care if the OP gets 1000 points for marking answers and I only get 100 points for providing a correct response, but it would rather bother me if someone else providing helpful responses gets 400 points. In such a system it makes more sense to create questions than answers, but hat is a different question. People will just mark the respones of all their friends as helpful so they can get lot's of points, or people may even gamble the system and respond to their own questions.

I also think that the person providing a correct answer should get more points than the person providing helpful answers. Therfore, there needs to be a limit not only for the OP marking questions, but also for helpful responses, like 2 helpful and 1 correct, or 50 points for helpful and 150 for correct.

Jive does actually not provide a concept of helpful answers, only correct. And as I learned from a previous discussion, OTN is using their own module to have helpful and correct responses. The module needs to be fixed, but please fix both ends.

KayK
  • Christian Berg-0racle
    Christian Berg-0racle Everything Analytics And Data Member Posts: 9,646 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 2, 2015 5:18AM

"Pretty bad" is an understatement. According to this

The original poster will receive 50 points for marking a reply correct and 25 points for marking a reply helpful.

Now anyone can just keep asking questions of the "I don't want to read the manual" and "Do my homework. Now. URGNET!!1!11!" type and get more points than bloody Conchita Wurst at the Eurovision in a day...

JeromeFr
This discussion has been closed.