This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 31st, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,795 Users
  • 2,269,776 Discussions
  • 7,916,827 Comments

Discussions

Should I strive for 11g or 12c certification(s)?

TonyTime
TonyTime Member Posts: 31

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting and I wanted to get some insight on whether I should strive for Oracle 11g or 12c certs. I just got a DBA internship at a large company that is using 11g and I'm not sure whether they're planning on upgrading at any time soon. Although, for the best of me I'm kind of leaning towards 12c. I'd like to get your input whether I make the decision of sticking with 11g or moving to 12c. If you need anymore insight from me please let me know. I'm looking forward to this discussion!

7c60198f-5edc-4cfd-8201-26d5ff80561bHemant K ChitaleRigoberto

Best Answer

• sysassysdba
    sysassysdba SPAINMember Posts: 459 Silver Badge
    edited Jun 24, 2015 5:02PM Answer ✓

hello 2978139, Sorry , I don´t mean start form oracle8i and upgrades to ,9i --> 10g ( this is my certification path...from 2003 until now!!!) ..Today, you only can start from 11g and upgrade to 12c. I think that it is the best way by now, if you really want to learn how oracle (11g and 12c) works.

Regards and good lock with your certifications.

Answers

• Matthew Morris
    Matthew Morris Database Engineer / Author Orlando, FloridaMember Posts: 1,880
    edited Jun 24, 2015 11:41AM

A little over two years ago, I wrote an article about picking 11g vs 12c when choosing a DBA certification path. Looking back at that article now, it is sadly dated and I really need to create a follow-on post.  The post brings up four points, but only the final two have any relevance today.

Oracle Certification Prep: Should I Get Certified as an Oracle 11G DBA or as a 12c DBA?

That said, the third point hits right on your situation.  The organization you are interning with is using 11g. The capabilities of 11g are really what you need to know right now. If you you start learning Oracle at 12c, it is not really going to be clear to you which of the capabilities you are learning about have no relevance to your current situation.  However, if you earn the 11g DBA certification and then take the 12c upgrade, you will have a clear picture of what changes were made between 11g and 12c. I think that there is more overall value in earning the 11g and then upgrading to 12c.  However, there is also more investment involved (both money and your time spent studying).  Ultimately you have to decide if the additional value is worth the additional investment.

Hemant K ChitaleTonyTime
  • sysassysdba
    edited Jun 24, 2015 12:54PM

Hello,  i think that today, the majority are bbdd 11g against the Oracle DB 12c.  If you want to learn and you don't mind to an additional exam. I suggest you that you start with 11g OCP and then upgrade to 12c (1z0-060).

I think that you learn  a lot when you are studying for an OCP exam.

in my personal case, I started with OCP 8i and i have done upgrade exams for 9i and 10g. Now I am preparing for 11g upgrade (1z0-050) although  I would have done upgrade from 9i to 11g or from 10g to 12c, i prefer do 1z0-050 and then 1z0-060,.

My personal opinion is that is better for you pass through all versions in that you are working. (the versions that are not  obsolete...)

Regards

TonyTime
  • TonyTime
    edited Jun 24, 2015 4:53PM

@sysassysdba I've been leaning to learning 11g first and then upgrading to 12c. The money is not a problem. I guess thinking now it makes more sense to learn 11g and also learn it while I'm at my internship and then go for the OCP 50 exam series. Now when you say that your personal opinion is better for me to "pass through all versions in which I'm working", do you mean start from the very first exams like 8, and 9? Or start with 11g and then if needed upgrade to 12c. My gut is telling me to go 11g first.

• sysassysdba
    edited Jun 24, 2015 5:02PM Answer ✓

hello 2978139, Sorry , I don´t mean start form oracle8i and upgrades to ,9i --> 10g ( this is my certification path...from 2003 until now!!!) ..Today, you only can start from 11g and upgrade to 12c. I think that it is the best way by now, if you really want to learn how oracle (11g and 12c) works.

Regards and good lock with your certifications.

• TonyTime
    edited Jun 24, 2015 10:17PM

Thank you everybody for contributing to this discussion. I'm going to begin with the 11g certification process and worry about 12c in the future. If anybody has any tips, or informational resources for the 1z0-051 please feel free to message me.

• Matthew Morris
    edited Jun 24, 2015 8:59PM

You should never put email addresses in public forums.  It is only an invitation for spammers.

That said, you can find links to certification-safe study materials at the 1Z0-051 page of the Oracle Certification prep website:

Oracle Certification Prep: Exam details and preparation resources for 1Z0-051

Rigoberto
  • TonyTime
    edited Oct 14, 2015 9:49PM

I just thought I'd let you guys know. I took my 1Z0-061 certification exam last Saturday. Unfortunately, I didn't pass the exam. I don't think I've prepared myself well enough for the certification exam. I can use SQL pretty well in an everyday environment, but I struggled when I was tested on it on the Oracle certification exam. I read the 1z0-061 Oracle Press book, and I took 2 practice tests that was provided by the cd in the book. Does anyone recommend any other strategies or practice tests? How are the Kaplan or Pass4Sure practice tests for the 1Z0-061?

• Matthew Morris
    edited Oct 14, 2015 11:08PM
    I read the 1z0-061 Oracle Press book, and I took 2 practice tests that was provided by the cd in the book. Does anyone recommend any other strategies or practice tests? How are the Kaplan or Pass4Sure practice tests for the 1Z0-061?

I always start out (and mean it) when I say that Oracle Press certification books are good at covering the topics that will be on the exam. Their practice tests, however, have little in common with the real exam and do not provide any measure of how ready you are to take it. They help to determine your reading comprehension of the material in the book.

Kaplan tests are Oracle's recommended provider and most people consider to be good. Pass4Sure is a brain dump provider and if you use them, you can lose both your certification and your ability to certify in the future. uCertify is a valid practice provider, but I have heard many people complain about their quality.

You can find links to a great deal of study materials for the 061 exam on my website, including articles and videos free of charge.

Oracle Certification Prep: Exam details and preparation resources for 1Z0-061

There is also a practice test available for 1Z0-061 on the site which is not free.  However, it is cheaper than you will find anyone else (including illicit brain dump providers) charging. The people who have contacted me after taking my practice tests tell me that they tend to score very close on the real exam to what they score on mine... which was my goal.

Rigoberto
  • jaramill
    jaramill Member Posts: 4,299 Gold Trophy
    edited Oct 15, 2015 12:52PM

Also to add to Matthew's comments, the other "recommended" provider for practice tests is Transcender https://www.transcender.com/

Transcender and Kaplan are BOTH owned by the same company. The only neglible difference is that Transcender provides a few more questions (say 15-30) and a few more exams.  But the format and style is the same as Kaplan's Self-Test software.

And I agree also with the practice exams on the CDs from Oracle's Press books.  They are NOTHING like what you'll face in the real exam.

uCertify....well do NOT get me started on how bad they are (typos, syntax errors, grammar errors, etc....) but they are legitimate though not on Oracle's list of recommended.  The only PLUS I can say about them is that they have A LOT of content.  Plenty enough that their errors ironically helped me study more because I focused on their errors and knew what was WRONG when I knew I was right in answering a question.

And finally....RTM (Read the Manual) for the topics of your exam.  I know after taking 2 exams (OCE-SQL, OCA-PL/SQL) that had I done that I would've had an even higher score, but still passed.  Studying for my final one (OCP-PL/SQL) I am definitely reading the online documentation first then books.

Rigoberto
  • TonyTime
    edited Oct 15, 2015 2:29PM

Thanks a lot for your input guys. I'll look into Transcender and Kaplan SelfTest.  I was completely unaware that using Pass4Sure was illegal for Oracle cert's. I'm glad I was able to hear that now, before I use it later haha. I haven't really focused on studying the Oracle Manuals. I understand the concepts, I just never got super in-depth as it was when I was tested on the exam. I'll be sure to focus on the oracle manuals and use a legitimate and recommended testing provider such as Kaplan, or Transcender. Yeah @matthewmorris, I was completely shocked when I came into the test because the practice exam they gave me was a whole different story on the actual 1Z0-061 exam. I'll be sure to check your website out. Thank you everybody, you guys are awesome. I'm going to try to take it again within a month of pounding my head with studying.

This discussion has been closed.