This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,967 Users
  • 2,269,775 Discussions
  • 7,916,823 Comments

Discussions

practice exam tests

gregory_lesko
gregory_lesko Member Posts: 31

hi all,

i have found on oracle official website following info:

"Practice tests are one of the most effective ways candidates can prepare for Oracle certification exams. Authorized practice exams, like those offered exclusively by Kaplan SelfTest, help candidates to self-assess their knowledge using realistic exam simulations. These practice exams utilize best-in-class practice exam tools including: Learning Mode (fully customize your own practice exam preferences), Certification Mode (simulates a real, timed testing situation) and Flash Cards (self check on key topical concepts)."

does anyone tried tests from www.selftestsoftware.com recommended by oracle ?

thanks in advance for answers.

Answers

• Matthew Morris
    Matthew Morris Database Engineer / Author Orlando, FloridaMember Posts: 1,880
    edited Feb 18, 2016 7:51PM

Oracle's preferred vendor is Kaplan, which includes both Self Test Software (STS) and Transcender.  The quality of both is essentially identical.  The difference is that Transcender practice test for a given exam costs a bit more and has three practice tests instead of a single one.  I have not used STS for Oracle tests. I last used them about 8 years ago for the Linux+ test.  The product at that time was reasonably good. As part of my research for study guides, and hanging around on certification forums, I hear a good bit from people who have used both STS and Transcender and in the main people agree that their Oracle offerings are of good quality.

Most other 'practice test' vendors for Oracle offer brain dumps, which are of low quality and use of them is both prohibited and can cost you your certified status if you are caught.  The exceptions are uCertify and the practice exams that I created as an offshoot of my Oracle Certification Prep study guides that are available on OCPExam -- Practice tests for Oracle certification exams. I have heard mixed reviews of uCertify, but have never used them myself. I have heard that they contain a lot of material, but that it has lots of typos and other errors.

• Hemant K Chitale
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle DBA OCP OCE SingaporeMember Posts: 15,759 Blue Diamond
    edited Feb 18, 2016 9:18PM

I have used Self Test Software, Transcender and uCertify for Oracle 11g and 12c exams.

On occasion, I find that I disagree with what they mark as the "Correct" answer.  Maybe I should have been providing feedback to them.

I don't not recommend them -- i.e. I do recommend them.

Hemant K Chitale

• gregory_lesko
    gregory_lesko Member Posts: 31
    edited Feb 19, 2016 3:01AM

so, do you recommend the tests or not ?

• Hemant K Chitale
    edited Feb 19, 2016 4:08AM

Figure it out

Yes

Hemant K Chitale

• user6862024
    user6862024 Member Posts: 124
    edited Feb 19, 2016 12:06PM

I have probably used about 15 of them for Oracle DBA over my life time.

The last time I used them was for Oracle 12c Upgrade (1z0-060).

I strongly recommend them.

Roger

• user6862024
    user6862024 Member Posts: 124
    edited Feb 19, 2016 12:07PM

Hi,

I meant to say Transcender and Selftestsoftware.

I like to pay a little more and get transcender.

Roger

• dvz
    dvz Member Posts: 1
    edited Feb 24, 2016 4:08PM

Two comments.  Pearson-Vue offered a package that included the exam voucher I wanted, and the Kaplan / Selftest practice exam.  After my purchase, I saw on Kaplan their guarantee to refund the practice tests' costs should one fail two consecutive times.  Small print?  Offer not valid for third-party packages.

Secondly, I sat for IZ0-052 just a few hours ago, and regretfully just missed passing.  Selftest provided 140 practice questions, which I had worked through enough times to consistently pass with few errors.  About 8 to 10 of the 140 practice questions were on the actual exam.  Unfortunately, the remaining 60 exam questions came from "advanced" topics that Selftest didn't go near enough: flashback, ORAnet, Resource Manager, ASM, ADDM, RMAN bad-file recovery scenarios.

At least I can take the failed exams as itemized tax deductions......

• Hemant K Chitale
    edited Feb 24, 2016 9:54PM

selftest wouldn't be having the same questions as are on the real exam.  If any questions are the same they would be coincidences.

But the topics covered by selftest for 1Z0-052 should have been correct.  I am surprised that you find selftest didn't cover the "advanced" topics.  I think that you expected selftest questions to appear in the real exam.  That is a wrong expectation.

Hemant K Chitale

• Matthew Morris
    Matthew Morris Database Engineer / Author Orlando, FloridaMember Posts: 1,880
    edited Feb 24, 2016 9:59PM
    I am surprised that you find selftest didn't cover the "advanced" topics.  I think that you expected selftest questions to appear in the real exam.  That is a wrong expectation.

I read "... that Selftest didn't go near enough..." to mean that he felt that the STS questions on Topic X, Y , and Z were much easier than the actual exam questions on those same topics.

• jaramill
    jaramill Member Posts: 4,299 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 26, 2016 2:57PM
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:

I have used Self Test Software, Transcender and uCertify for Oracle 11g and 12c exams.

On occasion, I find that I disagree with what they mark as the "Correct" answer.  Maybe I should have been providing feedback to them.

I don't not recommend them -- i.e. I do recommend them.

Hemant K Chitale

Hemant:

With regards to providing feedback, specifically to uCertify, don't bother.  I have done it several times, and although they email me back that they will fix the glaringly obvious typos, errors, they only fix part of the bugs/errors I found.  With uCertify they are just unintentionally leading you down the wrong path in certain questions.  I do love that they have LOTS of content but unfortunately, 25% at least is incorrect.  In some crazy way, it helped me know that the right answer "they" said was right, was actually the "wrong" answer when I confirmed by looking at the Oracle documentation, and running sample queries in an Oracle database.

This discussion has been closed.