Forum Stats

• 3,708,580 Users
  • 2,241,084 Discussions
  • 7,840,459 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...

2»

Answers

• BluShadowBluShadow Moderator Posts: 40,816 Red Diamond
    edited October 2018
    Robert Angel wrote:Hi,on recognition we are providing free support to the wider Oracle community, how about you provide free training in leaderboard subjects (if you are on the leaderboard you get one online course in that subject to use at your discretion per year) so we always do it well, if it was online this would have minimal incremental cost to Oracle. Also, how about allowing us access, via a controlled interface, to the developers to feed in our ideas for the product in question, so we are also good ambassadors who are fully bought in to the development process.Also, merge MOS and OTN (Call it what you will) and stop this two tier nonsense.Customers still have the option to waste their time logging an SR via MOS....

For that, the leaderboards would have to be reliable.

• Robert AngelRobert Angel Posts: 4,533 Bronze Crown
    edited October 2018

lol - for all the wrong reasons!!!

• Zlatko SiroticZlatko Sirotic Posts: 2,130 Gold Trophy
    edited October 2018

(Very short) manifesto against fragile software / hardware marketing:

Working software / hardware over marketing slogans.

That is, while there is (some) value in the items on the right, we value the items on the left (much) more.

Notes:

1. I wrote the above text as proof that we, software / hardware engineers, can also write slogans. But, it is much harder to write a code, especially the one that is correct.

2. I know the term "fragile marketing" (already) exists, with meaning that is not (completely) the same as the one I used above.

• Chitrasai1-OracleChitrasai1-Oracle Posts: 1,534
    edited October 2018
    That is, while there is (some) value in the items on the right, we value the items on the left (much) more.

Agile Manifesto

• jgarryjgarry Posts: 13,842
    edited October 2018
    Robert Angel wrote:Wow, sincerely very sorry if I rubbed lemon juice in that wound, I know people who miss their ex-dog more than their ex-spouse...I would have guessed great dane from the head shape.Sorry for your loss, as someone said on a tribute site to Charles M Schulz - thank you for sharing your dog with the world.

I also thought Dane.

edited October 2018

I am honored to be an exception, especially as it started with my size ten foot in mouth....

• KayKKayK Posts: 1,608 Bronze Crown
    edited October 2018

Just found here the following:

Wednesday Keynote: Groundbreakers: The Code Avengers     https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=0FlHWdcViB0

Jump to 41:05, do we all need some kind of superhero costumes now ;-))  

• MarwimMarwim Posts: 3,620 Gold Trophy
    edited October 2018
    do we all need some kind of superhero costumes now ;-)) 

Perhaps that's meant by

We are working on bringing something which is valuable for our users contributions.

SCNR

• EdStevensEdStevens Posts: 27,790 Gold Crown
    edited November 2018
    Dude! wrote:... we're committed to continuing to make changes that improve the site for our members. As always, we welcome your ideas and suggestions and look forward to hearing what you have to sayIf Oracle was committed as outlined, shouldn't the results be different? How does Oracle evaluate the situation and verify success? If I consider the current status quo and developments this year, there is almost no more point logging in as overall participation, usability and exchange of information have finally come to a halt.

Witness last week's fiasco with the inbox and other feeds, on both OTN an MOSC.

The interface at OraFAQ may be clunky, but it is rock solid.  Can't remember ever having an issue there.

Kind of reminds me of an episode of 'Car Talk'.  One of the brothers (I can't remember which) made the comment that it took the Japanese auto manufacturers to show the American manufacturers how to build quality into a car.  The other brother replied that no, the Japanese only showed the Americans that it could be done.  The Americans still refused to learn.  (that was particularly interesting to me because at the time I was working at a US assembly plant for a Japanese auto company).

So, in the same vein, OraFAQ has shown that a reliable, stable, and popular product forum can be created - and without a rewards/gamification/social media slant, to boot..  But Oracle hasn't learned the lesson.

edited November 2018

Okay that is so ugly my eyes are now bleeding BUT - it runs fast, it does not freeze on a page, it has not told me that it is not currently available for the 2nd time as many days - in short - I have to agree with you, why can't Oracle do that?

edited November 2018

Because it is not eating its own dog food.

edited November 2018

"Ask Tom" on Apex used to be okay for me....

edited November 2018

Yes, several people have suggested using APEX (and even volunteering to do it IIRC).  Asktom originally was very hierarchical - Tom's baby, even - I'm glad to see the way it got distributed.  I also still like how you can follow threads for years, though I wish I could come up with some suggestion to notate version specificity and deprecation issues.

Here we have a much more network organization (and I mean that in the database sense of many people contributing in an egalitarian manner).  There is much hazy in the actual goals of the site.  Us techies want it to be an interactive knowledge base that can serve both newbies and and advanced issues.  Oracle wants... what, marketing?  Cheerleading?  Free work?  We can guess that Jive wants an income stream and perhaps an exit strategy.

EdStevensKayK
    edited November 2018

Why evaluate? We had a reorganization of different computing centres into one. Since the powers to be said that it will be a success it had to be a success. If you evaluate it afterwards you might find that people are not happy because of latencies, poor support, etc. Therefore no one will ask.

Dude!
    edited November 2018
    Robert Angel wrote:"Ask Tom" on Apex used to be okay for me....

Login at Ask TOM is not trivial

• Press Sign In
    • Get a page your session has expired
    • "Click here to get a new session" gets you a refresh without being logged in
    • Press Sign In again.

Now open a linked page (same page or a new tab) -> not logged in

edited November 2018

Not been there for a while.... perhaps I remembered it better than it was.... or it used to be better?!

edited November 2018

I go there almost daily to read new posts.

It is still very good to find answers, yet the procedure sometimes deters me from adding a comment

edited November 2018

I think there's a space around here somewhere to make comments about asktom.  You can contact those guys directly, too, through several means.

• top.guntop.gun Posts: 3,666 Gold Crown
    edited November 2018