Forum Stats

• 3,709,668 Users
  • 2,241,354 Discussions
  • 7,841,320 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are comments to an idea still a valid mission?

L. FernigriniL. Fernigrini Database Practice Lead - Posts: 3,457 Bronze Crown

I have seen that there is a mission on OTN about commenting an idea:

pastedImage_0.png

I remember I have earned some points when I was starting in this community, but I'm pretty sure than for at least one year I did not get points for commenting on existing ideas not creating new ones. If the mission is not available anymore, shouldn't be removed from the list, or at least the "Earn Again" message should be removed if you get the mission only once...

Maybe this (the mission not being valid anymore) has been explained before but I do not remember about that...

Jim-DKayKL. FernigriniTimo HahnLaurence 'GreenReaper' Parry

Answers

• L. FernigriniL. Fernigrini Database Practice Lead - Posts: 3,457 Bronze Crown
    edited October 2019

I've opened the profile of the last user that appears to have completed the mission (clocking on his avatar on the Mission), and it is from 5 months ago...

pastedImage_0.png

edited October 2019

Yes, it must be broken from some time, I did just notice it.

I knew that there are no points for creating individual ideas, only when you reach 10, 50, etc... But I kind of remembered that commenting on the ideas gave some points, the mission is still there, but there must be a problem there on the platform...

Let's wait if we hear something from Oracle team...

Jim-D
  • Jim Finch-OracleJim Finch-Oracle Moderator Posts: 528 Employee
    edited October 2019

We are experiencing issues with the gamification module. If someone has earned a badge and wasn't granted the badge, they can DM me directly and I'll add it.

Best,

Jim

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

Jim-DL. Fernigrini
  • Stefan JagerStefan Jager Posts: 1,748 Silver Trophy
    edited October 2019
    James M. Finch-Oracle wrote:We are experiencing issues with the gamification module. If someone has earned a badge and wasn't granted the badge, they can DM me directly and I'll add it.Best,Jim

For months now already. Missions only appear to be granted here in the Community forum, but nowhere else. You can see that when looking at the Reputation tab in the profile: Awarded missions have a red icon, not-awarded missions have a grey icon. If you look at mine it's easy to see, and I've noticed that since early this year.

To be honest: I don't care much either way, but am of the opinion that something either works, or should be disabled.

L. FernigriniL. Fernigrini
    edited October 2019

Look at the screenshot below, blue arrows pointing out what I refer to as "icons":

AcitivityIcons.png

From what I can see, the red ones add to mission counts, the grey ones don't.

KayK
    edited October 2019

I have a lot of "grey" icons for the Database space and they counted towards the missions in the OTN-Database space (at least most of them... I do not track the status but from time to time I enter the reputation section and I saw that missions advance, at least since the last time it was broken a few months ago...

The icons changed when they "fixed" the mission problem, at the end of last year or beginning of this one, and now there are two different ones (grey and red) but they seem to have the same behavior, but for different spaces

edited October 2019
    Dude! wrote:I have a bunch of those grey trophies too, but I can't find the appropriate mission. As far as I recall, however, the corresponding points were added..What does "marked Correct in an OTN-Database Community" mean. What is the OTN-Database community?

Those are the PL/SQL, Spatial communities. There are a number Helpful marks, and there is a mission called "Extremely Helpful in OTN". That one has been sitting (for me) at 97%, until I received that las Helpful, when it jumped to 98%. So to me that seems any Helpful marks on the OTN side don't get counted anymore, but here they do.

I guess the OTN-Database community is this one: , but I'm not sure.

edited October 2019

The old OTN sàce now is Groundbreakers, as you already know.

There are missions generic to the community (OTN --> ODC --> Groundbreakers) for correct / helpful :

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

And there are missions that are specific to some spaces of the community, like reaching helpful + correct answers:

Database:

pastedImage_0.png

Cloud Computing:

pastedImage_4.png

Applications:

pastedImage_5.png

Mobile:

pastedImage_7.png

Systems:

pastedImage_8.png

Java:

pastedImage_9.png

BI:

pastedImage_10.png

Middleware:

pastedImage_11.png

And those points also sum on the "Places" section of the reputation

pastedImage_12.png

edited October 2019

It's not "so" complex. On a "general" level (OTN) you get points for correct or helpful answers, and when you reach specific number of them (5, 10, 25, 50, 100) you also get points because you accomplished a mission and receive a badge) .

Then, some specific areas (those that I mentioned) have additional missions/badges that also gives points, and I understand the idea is to specify in which particular product/area the user has experience. If I post an answer on Mobile, someone may believe that I'm an expert just because I have 40.000 points (that does not mean anything, I may have get all the point just from making questions!!!!) but actually I do have 0 points on mobile, since my area of expertise is Database most of the points / badges I have come from those spaces.

edited November 2019

I now have access to the MOSC community, and in that community the "Guide in MOSC" badge does not have the "earn it again" message. Probably the mission could be earned many times and was changed to only once, but the "earn it again" message was not removed on OTN (Groundbreakers)...

pastedImage_0.png

edited November 2019

I was wrong, I have just commented on my first idea on MOSC and the badge now shows the "earn it again" message:

pastedImage_0.png

The 5 points were awarded to my reputation:

pastedImage_2.png

If I comment on other Idea I will check if MOSC still awards 5 points for each comment on Ideas...

• Jim-DJim-D Posts: 584 Bronze Crown
    edited November 2019

@L. Fernigrini - When I look at my profile (and yours), I see that the "Guide in MOSC" mission includes the text "EARN AGAIN".

pastedImage_0.png

edited November 2019

Yes, I had never commented on MOSC ideas, that's why the uncompleted mission did not show the message. After the first post I saw a new idea that I considered worth commenting (https://community.oracle.com/ideas/26396#comment-1059582 ) and after my first comment the badge was updated, as I mentioned on my next answer ( )....

So I will check next time I comment an Idea on MOSC if it awards points and, if that is the case then the "OTN" places are not working as expected and not giving 5 points award for each comment (I do not dislike that, just think that it need to work as it is explained, I would probably prefer that award to be given only once to avoid non useful comments made just to get some points)

Jim-D
  • BluShadowBluShadow Moderator Posts: 40,816 Red Diamond
    edited November 2019

Please don't try and compare MOSC gamification to OTN gamification.  The rules are different between the communities.  Some things may be the same or similar, but just because something works, or works differently on MOSC is no reflection of what is on OTN (or Groundbreakers, or whatever we call this place now)

Timo Hahn
    edited November 2019

I know the rules are different. Right now, for that particular mission, both MOSC and OTN say that they should award points after each comment is done. In OTN that does not work, it may be an error on OTN gamification or, a change that was decided but the mission description was not corrected / updated.

I just want to check if the same happens on MOSC ( that would mean that the error is "global") or if it works as expected on MOSC that would confirm that is an error on OTN or a change in gamification that was not updated on the mission description.

• BluShadowBluShadow Moderator Posts: 40,816 Red Diamond
    edited November 2019

There are known issues with the gamification recently.  The admin are working on things.  That's all I know.

L. Fernigrini
    edited November 2019

AFAIK, comments on ideas do not award points in MOSC for more than 1 year.... I remember that I had checked after that some comments I added did not added me points while I was working on my previous job, and I changed company on May 2018...

As a personal opinion, I believe it is ok not to award points just for commenting (many comments are just a "I like it"). But the mission should be updated to reflect that, or the issue should be fixed.

As Stefan mentioned some posts ago:

To be honest: I don't care much either way, but am of the opinion that something either works, or should be disabled.
    edited November 2019

@L. Fernigrini - Looking at my activity, I've earned the "Guide in MOSC" 18 times in the last 6 months, so it seems to have been working for me.  The badge was recently reduced from 30 points to 5 points.  If you're missing some points, I suggest reaching out to Oracle with specific examples.

edited November 2019

Yes, MOSC seems to be working OK, the issue I believe is on the OTN space, that comments do not get awarded. Here is the sample form my history, were I got the 5 points in the MOSC space:

pastedImage_2.png

I expanded my activity history on the reputation page to show all the reputation activity for the las 6 months and I do not have a single "Guide in OTN" award. I comment from time to time (when it is worth) and I'm pretty sure I've made some comments on the last six months.

I've checked Dude! reputation history (I know he participates a lot on the Ideas space) and I can confirm that OTN is not awarding the 5 points

pastedImage_1.png

I do not worry about the problem, I do not care too much about points, but I believe that if the platform has gamification feature it should work as expected, and when something does not work it should be fixed...

edited November 2019

Seeing that there is only one user listed as "RECENTLY COMPLETED" is another sign that this is broken.

pastedImage_0.png

• 41509544150954 Posts: 1
    edited January 2020

The old OTN sàce now is Groundbreakers, as you already know. I find it nonsense and counterproductive. The more complex and complicated the fewer people will understand. It seems such a mess, like unfinished or incorrect configurations. To be honest: I don't care much either way but I am of the opinion that something either works or should be disabled. Plus Metals have a bunch of those grey trophies too, but I can't find the appropriate mission.