• 3,815,595 Users
  • 2,259,055 Discussions
  • 7,893,182 Comments

Discussions

Oracle RDB - Cannot backup AIJ due to hard data loss

user4168370
user4168370 Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon
edited Nov 4, 2019 10:03AM in Social Groups

I have an Oracle RDB 7.3 database (Integrity VMS 8.3 1H1) with fixed size AIJs that cannot be backed up due to hard data loss. We have dropped the AIJs, completed a full online backup of the database and rebuilt /enabled AIJs but still cannot back up the AIJs. Same message - hard data loss.

The database  is now running without AIJs and verifies cleanly except for a few spams.

An earlier post indicates a rmu/convert step as part of the solution. Why?

Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 41,872 Red Diamond
    edited Nov 4, 2019 3:13AM

Welcome to the community.  The "Getting Started" space is a great place to introduce yourself and get to learn about using the community platform; however you are unlikely to find specific product experts here who will be able to answer your question (unless you're lucky).

I've just looked up what AIJ is, so I'm guessing it's the "After Image Journal" you're referring to, which seems to relate to Database Administration as well as Backup and Recovery.  In which case your question is probably best asked over in the (if you're using RMAN for your backups) or the more general .

However, you say you're on an Oracle 7.3 database, which to my knowledge (going back my early days of Oracle) has been out of support for around the last 20 years, in which case it's a good lesson in why databases should be upgraded, as you'll be lucky to find anyone with a database that old, with current knowledge, who will be able to assist.  You're best bet would be to raise a support ticket with Oracle support (support.oracle.com) in that case.

• Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,828 Black Diamond
    edited Nov 4, 2019 7:22AM

Oracle RDB for OpenVMS is a very different product compared to Oracle Database and does not use RMAN.

A full database backup is required after your disable or enable AIJ to establish a new recovery point.

Anyway, you will probably have more luck asking Oracle support or try the Oracle RDB mailing list:

Oracle Rdb List Server - JCC Consulting

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 41,872 Red Diamond
    edited Nov 4, 2019 8:00AM

Interesting.  Thanks Dude, I wasn't aware there was a specific Oracle RDB product that isn't the Oracle Database.  Learn something new every day.