Forum Stats

• 3,701,275 Users
  • 2,239,336 Discussions
  • 7,835,154 Comments

Discussions

toggling reply "helpful" flag awards points every time

JarekWJarekW Posts: 8 Blue Ribbon

Hello!

it seems that one can farm "Marked Helpful in %" awards simply by toggling "helpful" flag of the comment "on" and "off" several times (it works on Firefox at least) - is it correct operation? I wonder how it is behaving from author's side - is it awarding several "Helpful in %" missions for one answer?

regards,

Jim-DRojy Thomas-Oracle

Answers

• BluShadowBluShadow Moderator Posts: 40,785 Red Diamond
    edited November 2019

a) You don't (or shouldn't) get any points for marking your own questions/responses - If that's the case, there's a bug that the admin need to fix.

b) If you are (or you notice anyone else) marking helpful repeatedly in order to gain points in such a way, then please report it.  Such people will be dealt with by the Admin.

• JarekWJarekW Posts: 8 Blue Ribbon
    edited November 2019

I think it is some sort of unintended feature that can be prevented by portal's code - one should get only one mission for marking particular reply helpful: either by not awarding additional missions or removing mission when helpful is revoked... Is this correct place to report this sort of unexpected operation?

• Jim-DJim-D Posts: 584 Bronze Crown
    edited November 2019

When user A provides helpful information and user B marks it helpful, user A gets the badge and points.

When user B removed the helpful mark, I believe the badge and points are not removed from user A.

Then, if user B marked it helpful again, user A might get the badge and points a second time.

• edited November 2019

Hi, I do not see the Helpful flag in the comment. Where do I find it?

JarekW
    edited November 2019
    Jim-D wrote:When user A provides helpful information and user B marks it helpful, user A gets the badge and points.When user B removed the helpful mark, I believe the badge and points are not removed from user A.Then, if user B marked it helpful again, user A might get the badge and points a second time.

When Helpful/Correct is removed from a response, the points should be removed.  What isn't removed is the reputation trail shown in a person's profile that shows they were awarded the points; so it will still look like they got the points even though they've been removed again.  There's nothing in that reputation trail to indicate when points are removed again.

So, it can look like a person is being awarded multiple times for the same thing, if someone is repeatedly doing that action for the other person, but the actual points shouldn't be increasing any more than they should (though we know there are problems with the gamification system at the minute, so anything is possible)

JarekWJim-D
    edited November 2019
    Rojy Thomas-Oracle wrote:Hi, I do not see the Helpful flag in the comment. Where do I find it?

It does appear to be missing at the minute.

The admin may have removed it whilst they look at gamification issues.

edited November 2019

It is still working through inbox

edited November 2019

I have just marked/unmarked this comment more than once and got +20pts increase (with two awards in history).

BTW. Could someone remove additional points from my score once this debug is over?

edited November 2019

@James M. Finch-Oracle just pinging you to make you aware of this issue. 

• edited November 2019

I am still not finding the Helpful flag. Do you require any additional setting to make it visible?

• Timo HahnTimo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Moderator Posts: 36,424 Red Diamond
    edited November 2019

No, Oracle is working on the system in the background. Once they'll finish working we get the 'helpful' back.

Timo

Jim Finch-OracleRojy Thomas-Oracle
  • Jim Finch-OracleJim Finch-Oracle Moderator Posts: 503 Employee
    edited November 2019

Just following up. Yes, we're experiencing on-going issues with the gamification system and this has been reported to the service provider.

During this time if we notice wide-spread abuse of this feature or a workaround can't be found, we'll either limit the maximum amounts awarded from the helpful flag per day or disable it completely.

Best,

Jim Finch

Oracle Community Associate

System Admin

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

Jim Finch-Oracle
    edited November 2019

BTW. What is a correct way of reporting bugs in portal? On second thought reporting them through support forum can be suboptimal...

• edited November 2019

Thanks a lot.