Comments

• Jim Finch-OracleJim Finch-Oracle Moderator Posts: 505 Employee

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

Mathguy,

I will pass your comments on to the designers.

From my understanding, we need to be in compliance with the Oracle style guide. However, the way the graphic was rendered pre-migration didn't have the weird gaps or look as intrusive as it does now. It does look a little better on the overnight, but will pass the feedback on that they've got some ways to go.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Hi OracleUser,

The "Ask a Question" graphic at the top left of the page is actually a drop down.

However, since you are a Newbie (brand new to the site), you are limited from starting converstations until you earn your first 100 points.

Please see this for more details: https://community.oracle.com/tech/apps-infra/kb/articles/6-newbie-level-limitations

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Hi Greg,

Some years back, the two communities were merged onto the same platform in order to unify community under the same platform. It was the best solution at the time, however, it proved problematic as there was a lot of confusion between content that was open to all and content that required a dedicated membership role to access it. As our Community has grown and we've switched platforms (all running on the same platform, which is consistent with the original decision), the decision was switch the partner areas back to separate parts of the community in order to manage their content and memberships better.

I thank you for expressing your concerns and I'll pass them up to the management team.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• BluShadowBluShadow Moderator Posts: 40,794 Red Diamond

So just for clarity Jim, how do newbies earn their 100 points if they can't post a question? I would have thought many newbies come to the community because they have a question to ask, so a bit of a catch 22.

Obiously I understand it's to help prevent spamming, but would perhaps be good to advertise to those who aren't bots what they need to do to get the 100 points so they can then post. ;)

Ahh, now you're asking.

Posting first reply, posting first comment, earning points from having both liked, there's lots of ways to earn 100 points quickly and easily and the points for firsts are a bit rigged to make that newbie level as short as possible while doing the setup most members do when they start on a site such as this.

But agreed to the points guide, I'll have a newbie points guide up soon to address it.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• Sandeep Kumar skSandeep Kumar sk Posts: 482 Bronze Badge

Is the transition to new Portal done? Where is the Identity Manager discussion, I cannot access it anymore? can someone help please?

• GregVGregV Posts: 2,991 Gold Crown

thanks Jim for the explanation. Doesn't that mean more maintenance and work for the team in charge?

It actually makes my life and my team's lives a lot easier. The other nodes have dedicated folks doing the day to day administrative stuff and can focus on giving the experience they want to give without needing me as much.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

GregV
  • AndrewSayerAndrewSayer Posts: 12,998 Gold Crown

I realise this is a tricky problem, but I think this way round we will just see question hi-jacking or frustrated users that will just go elsewhere.

I'm not sure what other platforms do to address this but there must be other ways to limit spam. My naive suggestion would be: make sure new users have verified their email addresses, limit them to one new question per day (or other period), automatically flag posts with links to be reviewed by a moderator (and make it clear to the user that this has happened - I only noticed I was tripping the spam filter earlier on my last attempt to post a comment when a tiny box popped up in the bottom left for a small amount of time).

I imagine there are some better suggestions here though.

edited October 1

Thanks, Andrew, I will take everything under consideration, however, the problem solves itself with a little reading and one simple action by the newbies.

Newbie Guide <-- check it out. Yes, non-newbies can participate in it as well.

(and it's an easy way to earn our first custom badge!)

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• Christian BergChristian Berg Managing Director Posts: 9,358 Gold Crown

Obvious downside:

I can't see what I am following across the board anymore. So in order to catch up, I must log on and go to

Hub -> Apps / Infrastructure -> Discussions -> View -> Following

then

Hub -> Developer -> Discussions -> View -> Following

then MOSC. Then Partner.

If the idea was to get mileage on my mouse and wear out the click button, then the goal is achieved. But it also achieves the goal of me not wanting to participate anymore unless absolutely necessary since this painful UX is streamlined to drive people away. It's not functional, it's not usable and in every single respect a humongous step backwards into the dark ages.

L. FernigriniJerry Casey
  • AndrewSayerAndrewSayer Posts: 12,998 Gold Crown

Separate feedback, the mobile site doesn't include the Globe button on the top menu for switching between Spaces. This means navigating on an iPad is very difficult without searching for specific places. The notification bar is also missing.

Thanks Andrew, I'll pass it to the devs. I know they're still working on mobile.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• User_WLPNVUser_WLPNV Posts: 10 Newbie

That's the problem there is no 'Ask a question' - who tested this application before putting it live?

• GregVGregV Posts: 2,991 Gold Crown

Yes I understand better now, it's worse than I thought. Not only there are separate portals, but also separate spaces, each with their "following" logic. So even for the "free" communities you have to select your product:

And each of them has the following contents. Ok I can understand the MOSC/non-MOSC separation, but this is a real pain. It means you need at least 3 browser tabs to monitor the communities you follow, plus one tab for MOSC, and more tabs for other hubs I guess!

L. Fernigrini
  • mathguymathguy Posts: 9,245 Gold Crown
    edited October 1

From my understanding, we need to be in compliance with the Oracle style guide.

@Jim Finch-Oracle

I am sorry, I don't understand. What "Oracle style guide"? Is this something new?

I don't see a watermark, for example, here:

Is that a violation of the Oracle style guide?

Hi Oracle User,

As per the newbie guide, you won't see that button. You're able to reply and take part, just not start new discussions.

Please take a look at the guide, which includes exactly what you need to do to get past Newbie level.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

We do have internal style guides, which we must be in compliance with.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

That's ridiculous; I had an issue, I wanted to raise a query. I don't need a settling-in period.

I raised discussions before in the older system and had no issues in doing that.

Surely everything gets reviewed before being visible on the board to see that it is appropriate.

I also agree with another comment - the squiggles in the background are very annoying and make it harder to read the text.

It should be a plain background! Again, I come back to my earlier point, who tested this site and who approved the layout?

Thanks

• BluShadowBluShadow Moderator Posts: 40,794 Red Diamond

It's only a small step to get the button to appear. I've done it, even as a moderator, and it took just a minute. Now I don't have to concern myself with it.

No, everything is not reviewed before being visible on the board. There are thousands of people posting across multiple places, and the moderating team (most of whom are volunteers with their own jobs to do) wouldn't have time to check everything. We have to have measures in place to try and prevent automated spam. On the old community new members had to wait for moderators to approve their first post, but this community doesn't support that. So, other measures are in place.

Ignore the squiggles in the background. Jim has already said that they shouldn't be big and distracting like that. It wasn't like that in the test environment and something has gone wrong somewhere; and it's being investigated. It will be fixed in time.

Thanks BluShadow- perhaps you can explain (i.e. give instructions) of how to 'get the button to appear' - i.e. 'add a post'.

Or, since I'm classed a newbie, am I not allowed to start a new discusssion?

Hi User,

I'm sorry you're experiencing a problem. Simply read the user guide in order to bypass the newbie level. The instruction you've requested is there.

As soon as you follow the instructions in the guide, you'll bypass the level and the button will appear.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

mathguy

Hi Jim

I don't know why everything is so difficult? why don't people explain in simple terms

BluShadow never explained how to add the button

Now you've not explained WHERE is the user guide;

A simple link would suffice.

Thanks

By being economical with your answers may suit you best but not when people havce to keep coming back for more information.

Hi User,

We're simply asking you to follow the link and read the guide. It's less than 10 or so lines long, along with the link that will allow you to completely bypass the newbie level. Please, click the link, follow the instructions there. It will literally take you 30 seconds.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• User_OCZ1TUser_OCZ1T Posts: 1,917 Gold Badge
    edited October 1

@Jim Finch-Oracle I had posted one of the thread(as below) in wrong category. Its related to Oracle performance issue. And in this new forum we don't have privilege to move the threads across different category. Would you be able to move it to correct place. I believe it should be either in "general database discussion" or "sql plsql" or if any Oracle performance specific category in this new forum.

https://community.oracle.com/tech/apps-infra/discussion/4475739/high-checkpoint-waits#latest

edited October 1

Hello Jim,

BluShadow sent me a link, namely:

EDITED.

Is that the link you are referring to? if not, then why can't you just post the link in your reply and send it to me, otherwise, I don't have a clue what link you are referring to? - sometimes I despair!

Hi user,

That was indeed the link. I've edited your post as we don't want that information in this public forum. Hence, the newbies should be going to the newbie guide.

Thanks!

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Ah OK, Thanks Jim, sorry about that!

• user10472047user10472047 Posts: 162 Red Ribbon
    edited October 1

Hi @Jim Finch-Oracle ,

we used to subscribe/follow few individuals, whom we admire the most as per their knowledge and thus if any post/reply comes in the community from those individual ,we used to get alerts/email notifications. that was a nice way to follow someone whom you like and want to follow their post/comments. But it seems in this new forum that subscription is missing. Can you confirm on that?

• Gianni CeresaGianni Ceresa Managing Director | Oracle ACE Director Posts: 6,028 Gold Crown
    edited October 1

Hi @Jim Finch-Oracle ,

Will it be possible to make links more "visible" ?

Right now they are difficult to see (= impossible to see without moving your mouse around the text).

When a full link is posted like https://community.oracle.com/tech/apps-infra/kb/articles/6-newbie-guide we can guess it's a link, but when it's added to a text like this, no way to see it: on my screen it just looks like normal text.

Sorry if it's something already reported, I probably missed it earlier ...

AndrewSayerScott Wesley

Hi Gianni,

I don't think it's been discussed here, but yes, I have it on my list. I've compiled the top issues and will be sharing those with the team today.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Gianni Ceresa
  • Jim 13131Jim 13131 Posts: 57 Red Ribbon

How do I find the SQL Developer discussions?

Click by click instrucitons would be great. I'm finding almost nothing here

• Madhusudhan. MMadhusudhan. M Posts: 1,882 Bronze Trophy

getting blank when select My Discussions, May be, Still Oracle is in progress to link them.

Thanks,

Mady

• Timo HahnTimo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Moderator Posts: 36,451 Red Diamond

This depends on where you had posted them. The new software is layouted different from the old one. We now have 4 different nodes (or what they are called) running on the same server. Each node (partner, developer, customer) can have different communities.

Speaking of the new developer node, there are three communities.

In each of these nodes you are a different user.

Now, you posted your question in the 'Welcome Community'. If your old posts are in e.g. the customer node you don'T see them when you click 'My Discussions'. If you do it in the node where the posts where posted, you should see them

This is what I get when clicking on 'My Discussions'.

So, if you posted in the e.g. 'Topliners' community, you have to go over to the customer node and select the Topliner community and check there.

The other option you have is to search for your posts. If you know some phrases or words you can enter them into the search field and hit enter. This will get you to the search page where you can add other filters to your search.

Timo

Madhusudhan. M
  • Timo HahnTimo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Moderator Posts: 36,451 Red Diamond

@Sandeep Kumar sk You are hijacking a thread for a qusion which has nothing to do with the original question!

OK, everything is new, so the answer to your question is https://community.oracle.com/tech/apps-infra/categories/identity_management_2

Timo

• Madhusudhan. MMadhusudhan. M Posts: 1,882 Bronze Trophy

Hey, got it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks,

Mady

• Glen ConwayGlen Conway Posts: 858 Gold Badge

And I found the SQLcl forum for the command line interface at https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/categories/sqlcl

So there is a method to this madness! Hope we get some reasonable navigation capability at the upper level of the site soon!

• Sandeep Kumar skSandeep Kumar sk Posts: 482 Bronze Badge

@Timo Hahn Thanks Timo. I needed to get to the Portal so I can test out the Image loading issue. That was the primary reason for opening this Discussion! So all good, now I can get to my Identity Management Portal, your inputs are helpful. I will test out the Image loading and let the thread know of my results 🙂

• BurkinaoneBurkinaone Posts: 12 Green Ribbon

good

• Sree ASree A Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

I followed the SuiteAnswers  Answer Id: 76913, but still unable to resolve. Any other suggestions?

• Court_Court_ Posts: 126 Blue Ribbon

make a left at the Johnson's house. A mile down from there, you will see a large rock. The answer is there.

edited October 1

Since this thread seems to be a better place than asking a new question in the community feedback:

1.) Is there really no chance to have a easy and straightforward way of seeing a news feed of all the places you follow? Are we asking for too much?

Previously we had this: https://community.oracle.com/news?streamSource=connections&streamID=MyIDGoesHere

And that pulled all info across all paces.

As Greg stated in my initial question, we can go to a place and then use "View" - "Following" but as I said earlier (yesterday) in this thread here, there is no easy, central way of seeing this.

2.) Next issue that I also created an own question for but will ask here since it seems a more visible place:

I know the design aims to be edgy and modern and what not, but functionality should win over style. Why are correct answers not colour coded anymore? Any UX designer should comprehend, that seeing a green colour takes a millisecond for our brain to process without effort wheras reading a word require effort. It's basic neuroscience.

What's wrong with green?

3.) Why do we have to scroll, scroll, scroll through the Notifications to see the "Mark All As Read" button? Again - that's not smooth, usable UX

Scott WesleyKayKL. Fernigrini

Is there really no way anymore to respond to a specific comment in a thread?

Previously we had "In response to...." and now we're just adding comments to a thread. Completely without conversational context. So when 5 people participate it's impossible to know who responds to whom when.

Like so many things that's ancient tech which worked before the 2000's and it's just a shame to see a ove to a new tool cut the functional scope down below the bare minimum of a forum.

Pavel_p

It looks like you have posted this in the wrong community. I guess you want to ask this over in the NetSuite community

As this community is on another node it can't be moved over :(

Timo

Lost formatting for code blocks in old posts

@Jim Finch-Oracle -

Please take a look at the following thread, which I started a month or so ago, on the old platform.

https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/4344746/les-amis-de-mes-amis-sont-mes-amis#latest

Please find the long, one-line, horizontal-scroll bits in the original post. Those were code blocks. They were formatted as "quotes" rather than "code", because the "code" formatting on the old platform suffered from many shortcomings. Many users, including I, posted code formatted as "quotes" rather than "code blocks" for that reason.

Obviously the translation to the new platform got something wrong - it removed all newlines from the old "comments". Can that be fixed?

(Sorry if this has been asked before - I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, and I didn't check to see if there are other threads reporting it.)

Thank you, - mathguy

Worse yet... On the old platform, the "replies" were numbered sequentially, so one could at least respond to "Reply 8". On the new platform, unless I went completely blind (a distinct possibility), that is no longer the case. Nor can we identify replies by timestamp (a poor substitute for reply numbers) because posts that are not from "today" only show the post date, but not the time-of-day.

Whoever thinks of such "improvements"... (and/or whoever tested the new platform and didn't find issues with these changes...)

Marwim
This discussion has been closed.