Forum Stats

• 3,702,038 Users
  • 2,239,552 Discussions
  • 7,835,729 Comments

Discussions

Transition Feedback Thread

Comments

• L. FernigriniL. Fernigrini Database Practice Lead - Posts: 3,433 Bronze Crown

1) The "reply" is actually using the "Quote" option:

2) You can see what categories you are following by filtering them :

Besides that, is useles because you need to "enter" on each of them to get new threads and comments...

Jim Finch-Oracle
  • AndrewSayerAndrewSayer Posts: 12,998 Gold Crown

I've noticed that many questions claim to be Answered when they have not been. Previously, a question is only marked as answered when the questioner has marked a reply as the correct answer - now it seems like a single comment is sometimes enough to mark it as answered.

I've just typed a reply to another thread and the editor appeared to bold some of my words out of nowhere:

When I submitted the post, the words appeared as normal (I think went to edit and they're bold again in the edit window). Highlighting them comes up with the option to Bold them so it seems like it's a display issue somewhere.

Glen Conway
  • mathguymathguy Posts: 9,245 Gold Crown

Screenshots of butchered code blocks from the old platform. To be clear (please make sure the developers understand this): these "code blocks" were tagged as "quotes", not as "code blocks", on the old platform (due to the many defects of the "code block" tagging on the old platform).

The best solution would be to maintain the EXACT formatting of all old "quotes" from the old platform; it will probably be difficult to identify which "quotes" were actual quotes and which were in fact "code blocks". Also important to understand that many of the most advanced participants in SQL and PL/SQL used "quotes" in this manner; this affects many, many old posts.

One image is a screenshot from my laptop (Windows 10/Firefox) - the one with the long horizontal scroll bar. The other is from my iPad (iOS 14/Safari). I hope your devs have access to the OLD pages (as they were on the old platform) to see what the block looked like then.

Thank you! - mathguy

• Jim Finch-OracleJim Finch-Oracle Moderator Posts: 506 Employee

Andrew,

What browser/browser version/Operating System are you on?

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Unable to log in on iPhone

I did a quick search, I didn't find any mention of this; sorry if there is one and I missed it.

I find myself unable to log in to the new platform on my iPhone (iOS 14/Safari). I am, however, able to log in on my iPad, with the same OS and same browser (or so Apple says). And, I believe, the user settings are the same on both.

Here's a screenshot from my iPhone:

I was able to get all the way to the Groundbreakers page, with the Log In button on it. I tapped Log In and I got this empty, narrow pop-up box (whatever that is), with just the "x" to close the pop-up and nothing else.

Thoughts? Thanks - mathguy

edited October 2

Not sure. I was able to get in on my iPad and my Note 9 Plus.

I have a similar report from a non-iPhone user.

They were set to reindex the site tonight. It might be causing the wonkines.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

I just tried again on my iPad. I am able to log in from the “Log In” link at the top of the page, but if I try from the Log In button under “Hello Stranger” instead, I get the same behavior as on the iPhone. How did you log in on iPad?

As you can, perhaps, see on the iPhone screenshot, it only has the blue “Log In” button, but no Log In link at the top...

So, then, there are really two problems with this, not one. Log In button doesn’t seem to work, and no Log In link at the top on iPhone. Log In link at the top of the page on iPad works as expected.

I got the top link to work on both ipad and my phone.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• Sven W.Sven W. Posts: 10,489 Gold Crown

I currently have 3 notifications. I click on one, but the message stays and is not marked as read.

And no, I do not want to mark all as read. only those that I did indeed read. How?

AndrewSayer
  • Timo HahnTimo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Moderator Posts: 36,451 Red Diamond

This is a known problem (mentioned earlier in this thread) which hopefully gets fixed.

Sven W.

Just a heads up that the site may see some extra wonkiness this weekend as it's in the process of being reindexed. Should be done by Monday.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• Oleh TyshchenkoOleh Tyshchenko Posts: 642 Silver Trophy
    edited October 3

I don't know whether this has already been reported but I have just noticed that during the transition at least some my comments lost links contained in the text. Here is an example: https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/comment/15360968#Comment_15360968

There used to be a link (I still can see some remnants of it in edit mode) to another comment in a different discussion with a solution for a problem. Now it gone and my comment looks useless.

AndrewSayer

OK, I found it. On the iPhone (unlike the iPad), the login link at the top right is an icon I hadn't seen before; I wonder if it's new in iOS 14 or what else it may be. It looks like a right-pointing arrow entering a checkbox. After I saw it (and realized it's what gets me to the login page) I Google-searched for about 10 minutes to see what that icon is, but I couldn't find anything. It's not a high priority, but perhaps your developers can quickly answer if that's a standard iPhone thing vs. something they have done.

You didn't answer my other question though. What happens when you click on the Log In button under "Howdy Stranger"? It still doesn't work on my iPhone and iPad. If it's not supposed to work in the first place, then why is it there at all?

Best - mathguy

Screenshot showing the login icon at the top, and the login button under Howdy Stranger:

That link is supposed to be working, so I'll pass it on when I can sit down with our list for Monday.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

I edited this post as it screen shotted material from a private area.

There was a bug reported on Friday where members were able to see material from private areas. Attempting to access those areas brought up the error message you're seeing as members were never supposed to have access to those areas.

The vendor was able to fix the error late Friday night and the site reindexing should prevent this from happening again.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Scott Wesley

User,

Just to follow up, based on your experience, I've re-enabled the pop-up for Newbie level. The pop-up message explains that they're a prohibitional member, why they can't post (but can reply, etc.), and what they need to do to bypass the level (follow the link, read the guide, follow the instructions).

It had previously been causing problems with the design post-launch, but looks like it's been fixed.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

edited October 4

Hey all,

Just letting you know that we've made a Weekend Update list featuring what we are implementing this weekend.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• AndrewSayerAndrewSayer Posts: 12,998 Gold Crown

For the benefit of others, “Weekend Update” in that post is a link.

Jim, are there any plans to put General Database Discussions back in the Groundbreakers Community? I can’t keep up with the politics of what this is supposed to mean? General Database is essentially SQL performance help and DBA help (which involves a lot of SQL). it’s already gone from Oracle Technical Network (which still makes the most sense to me) to Oracle Developer Community to Oracle Groundbreakers in a very short space of time.

Previously you asked what browser I was using that had the weird bold word glitching, it’s Chrome on Windows.

Sven W.

Until they fix the colors on links, I'm just going to use bold for my links. I've made the change in the post above and in the weekend update.

I'll pass on the General Database discussions request. I should have an answer tomorrow.

Thanks for the browser info, please let me know if it's still glitching.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• John_KJohn_K Posts: 2,496 Gold Trophy

Why, when in my preferences I've selected to not receive any email notifications, is my email inbox being bombarded with email notifications from this thread, just because I posted in it?

Hi John,

Apologies it's happening to you. That sounds like an advanced notifications setting. Advanced notifications are where you'll be able to get e-mail or pop-up notifications for sub-categories. The vendor is working on a fix with privacy issues related to them and I'll enable them (hopefully) tomorrow when the work is done.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• fac586fac586 Senior Technical Architect Posts: 19,082 Black Diamond

I'll pass on the General Database discussions request. I should have an answer tomorrow.

If the answer is "no" then a detailed explanation of why would be appreciated.

The apparently almost complete separation of APEX, SQL & PL/SQL, and SQL Developer from all of the other database categories makes no sense whatsoever. None of these tools can be used without an Oracle database.

Here APEX is clearly described as actually being part of the database by Oracle themselves:

Did you know that if you have Oracle Database, you already have Oracle APEX? It's one of the most popular features of Oracle Database — the most complete, integrated, and secure database solution for any scale deployment.

and

Oracle APEX has been an included no-cost feature of Oracle Database since 2004. That means, if you have Oracle Database, you already have Oracle APEX! 

It also makes it clear that APEX cannot be defined by where it is being run:

Oracle APEX runs anywhere that Oracle Database runs, whether it is on-premises, Oracle Cloud, or anywhere else.

Finally—and most importantly as far as I am concerned:

Because Oracle APEX is native to Oracle Database, you have direct access to all of Oracle Database features and capabilities. This means that APEX developers can use all of this functionality to build and deploy their applications.

(emphasis added)

Just as APEX developers have direct access to database features when creating applications, we also need direct access to discussions and resources associated with all of those database features when exploring solutions in our community.

When responding to a post about APEX, what use are the links currently shown in the sidebar on this page?

Node.js, SQL & PL/SQL, and SQL Developer certainly, but the rest can be considered irrelevant. On the other hand, leveraging other database features like Advanced Queuing, Scheduler, Spatial, Text, and Workspace Manager plays a big part in APEX development.

As things stand the My Bookmarks link on that page isn't going to give access to any content I have saved from those areas because they arbitrarily exist in a different "sub-community".

Access to my own questions through My Discussions is less useful than access to my responses to previous questions.

Best Of... is spectacularly useless. There is no indication of why the featured content exists on that page, how it got there, nor where it came from.

Groups doesn't seem to be of much use when you are focused on answering a technical question. Why should it be included there instead of Events or Recognition?

The sidebar would be better used for a customisable set of personal links, especially if the current artificial separation of content is maintained.

Scott Wesley

Database Discussions has been moved by popular demand.

I will pass suggestions on for the sidebar, not something I can change.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

GregVAndrewSayer
  • PaulRowePaulRowe Posts: 5 Blue Ribbon

Because most of us are very busy and don't have hours to spare trying to find our way around even the basics of things that don't make sense.

• Billy VerreynneBilly Verreynne Posts: 27,734 Red Diamond

Does not require hours. Just some critical thinking, an open mind, and a willingness to learn. The lack of which explains much everything from religion to climate change denial.

Scott Wesley
  • Christian BergChristian Berg Managing Director Posts: 9,358 Gold Crown

I take it that flag means that somebody really didn't like that ;)

Scott Wesley

Not to miss an opportunity to educate, details on what the numbers mean here.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Christian Berg
  • Christian BergChristian Berg Managing Director Posts: 9,358 Gold Crown

Thank @Jim Finch-Oracle I was searching for that exact explanation post.

• sgeorge_otnsgeorge_otn Posts: 7 Green Ribbon

As a newbie I kindly request that newbies be allowed to ask questions without needing to accumulate points. Why make it more difficult to use Oracle 😉 You can still put limits on number of questions, links etc. to avoid spammers.

Jim Finch-Oracle
    edited October 5

Hi @sgeorge_orcl ,

Go here. Follow the guide.

You'll be no longer a newbie in about a minute.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• sgeorge_otnsgeorge_otn Posts: 7 Green Ribbon

Hi Jim,

Thank you for getting back. I did post a comment here, answered/commented on a couple of questions but I'm still on newbie level. Regardless, my feedback was to allow users to post their question without needing to do all that. I'm sure there is a good reason for it, but my opinion is that it is unnecessary. Have a good day!

Jim Finch-Oracle
    edited October 5

@sgeorge_orcl Read the very last line of the Newbie Guide. You'll earn an exclusive badge for 20 seconds of work.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

sgeorge_otn

Is there really no way to stop this?? I'm sick of receiving them, especially when I've opted not to get any emails. Why is it only seemingly affecting me and not everyone else?

Hi John,

Go to your profile and click "edit profile."

On the new screen, click "Notification Preferences" then uncheck all of the e-mail preferences.

If it still persists after that, please let me know.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with your request. The "agree" part is entirely based on the observation that a lot of "spam" is posted by (incredibly many) repeat offenders, who have been members of the forum for many years and who posted a lot of questions and comments in total violation of every rule in sight. They won't be stopped by the new measures. ☹️

However, there needs to be some (relatively low) threshold for newbies. I never liked it in the form of a minimum reputation score requirement (the tradition on Stack Overflow and now introduced here as well). Rather, I would require all new members to meet mandatory requirements: in a space just for newbies, they should be required to post a question where they create a meaningful question title, they state their Oracle version, they post code formatted as code, they post a small CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements, etc. The skills without which one cannot ask a question properly. (My examples are perhaps not relevant to all "categories" - they are what I would require for the SQL & PL/SQL forum.)

Of course, this is additional development work, and will likely never be undertaken. As it is, though, it seems that the "points" requirement is not onerous by any means. It WILL, perhaps, deter those (again not a small number!) who create a new user every week or two. THAT definitely has to stop. Most importantly, there are many other issues related to the transition to the new platform that should get higher priority in the allocation of limited time and resources.

edited October 5

Mathguy,

It's 100 points. You can get it from your answer + your first comment, or by following the instructions in the Newbie Guide to bypass it completely (100 points). Newbies get a nag screen literally imploring them to click the link and bypass the level. It literally takes 30 seconds. Not much more I can do here...

Edit, since we do have so many coming to this thread to complain instead of following the guide...

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

This is a test of the feedback system.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

The side benefit of the 100 point requirement, which I don't really mind (I hope I didn't give the wrong impression with my earlier comment), is that, one way or another, it forces newbies to spend a little time - even as short as 30 seconds - trying to figure out the site. On the old platform it wasn't unheard of new users to find our forum somehow (perhaps through Google search) and to start typing a question, sometimes even about things unrelated to Oracle in any way. I don't expect that to happen anymore, with the new system.

edited October 5

That's what we're trying to do with true newbies. Get them to look around, read the guide, get some idea of how things work, etc., but most of the complaints are from long time users who don't feel that they need to do it. So for them, this thread is the place to go for now. I'll hide other ways in other threads. :)

And FYI, you and I are the only ones to get the badge at that points value. I did tweak it slightly.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• Billy VerreynneBilly Verreynne Posts: 27,734 Red Diamond

Christian, if someone is offended by facts, then that someone is on the wrong side of them.

Scott Wesley
  • KeyserKeyser Posts: 829 Bronze Trophy

within 5 minutes of using it I feel nauseous

who thought a swirly background was a good idea? please have a plain background

"quick links" and "categories" fill my page on every page, i have to scroll down to get to the content that i want to see

there might be an option to change all this but i can't find it as i'm constantly throwing up due to the swirly background

I had done that, saved, however when I just went in now they were all checked again! I've unchecked and saved, so hopefully it'll persist this time..

• Stefan JagerStefan Jager Posts: 1,743 Silver Trophy

What does it mean when a discussion is categorized as "Answered"?

This particular thread doesn't have an accepted answer, and is still under discussion. At least I can't see if the OP accepted an answer as "the" answer or marked one as such. Yet in the list of discussions it is marked as Answered, which is a bit confusing imho.

• Timo HahnTimo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Moderator Posts: 36,451 Red Diamond
    edited October 6

From my understanding it just means that there is an answer (not accepted) to the thread. And yes, it's very confusing :(

Timo

Gianni CeresaL. Fernigrini
  • chris227chris227 Posts: 3,510 Bronze Crown

You really killed this place.

I was a regulary participant in the sql/plsql forum, since 20 years.

It was an valuable resource for me also.

You crushed it totally.

Threads are simply unreadable. Code snippets in answers are stripped of linesbreaks and put on just one line.

Totally unreadable.

I cant find any of my own acitvity any more in my own profile.

It seems to be that i never answered any question correct (though in fact that might be the case after supervisioned ;-)

The last transition was something to get warm with it, but at last it worked.

But this time you lost me.

cormaco
  • fac586fac586 Senior Technical Architect Posts: 19,082 Black Diamond
    edited October 7

Fonts are broken:

The browser is showing several 404 errors:

• Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 /tech/welcome/addons/themes/oracle-theme-groundbreakers/design/fonts/OracleSans/OracleSans_W_SBd.woff
    • Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 /tech/welcome/addons/themes/oracle-theme-groundbreakers/design/fonts/OracleSans/OracleSans_W_It.woff
    • Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 /tech/welcome/addons/themes/oracle-theme-groundbreakers/design/fonts/OracleSan/OracleSans_W_Bd.woff

Also note the error in the Categories sidebar: the categories are indented instead of the subcategories.

This discussion has been closed.