• 2,250,248 Discussions
  • 7,867,143 Comments

Discussions

Transition Feedback Thread

Comments

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 41,298 Red Diamond
    edited Sep 30, 2020 9:11PM

So, for those people struggling to find where things are, one of the key things to note is that, by default, you seem to land in the "Welcome Community" (where this thread is).

If you click on the planet (next to the magnifying glass) at the top of the page, you'll see that the Welcome Community is now distinctly different to the Groundbreakers community (and there's also the Applications and Infrastructure community).

So, when looking for the place to post, you first need to make sure you've gone to the correct community.

So, click on e.g. Groundbreakers Developer Community inside that planet, to get yourself in there and THEN click on the "categories" in the menu bar.

There are just a few categories and things have been "simplified" (though still not sure it's completely logical myself :D)

If you're looking for something like Apex, then that's a development tool, so, ignoring the category heading of "Oracle Cloud Infrastructure" (because not everyone is in the cloud LOL!) click on "Application Development Software" and then the page you get will have Apex listed.

If you're looking for SQL and PL/SQL, then that's part of data processing, so, again ignoring the category heading, click on the category of "Big Data". In there we have data related things such as SQL and PL/SQL (the SQL space really needs merging or removing IMHO) It also has SQL Developer and SQL Developer Data Modeller which, personally I would have had as development tools...

What about General Database Discussions, which used to be a neighbour of SQL and PL/SQL....? Well that's in the Applications and Infrastructure community now... category... "On Premise Infrastructure" - "Database Software", and sits alongside Database Security, Data Warehousing, Performance and Availability etc.

I think there's some logic to it... but we could do with a community tree diagram, just to help us get used to where things are.

Certainly though, once you get your head around the initial split communities via the planet icon... you're half way to finding things. ;)

Edit: I see the spaces are being moved about a bit... the above may not necessarily hold true. :D

PhHeinBluShadowNoel Issac-Oracle
  • John_K
    John_K Member Posts: 2,498 Gold Trophy

The swirly background is awful - makes reading very hard. Also it's not very intuitive. I just about managed to find (what was) the old SQL forum, but I've no idea how to get to the other bookmarks I had.

• John_K
    John_K Member Posts: 2,498 Gold Trophy

Me too - it's terribly difficult to navigate. No idea where to find anything and am halfway to just giving up.

mathguy
  • I was looking for the APEX forum. I can get to APEX but no posts at the highest level - just a sub-category of 'Packaged Applications'.

• Jim Finch-Oracle
    Jim Finch-Oracle Member Posts: 564 Employee
    edited Sep 30, 2020 2:50PM

Hi John,

It wasn't like this in pre-production so the devs are tracking it down now. No ETA but it's a a bug and being fixed.

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 41,298 Red Diamond

They just need to apply the attribute size=10% to the background... that's should do it. Or just make it plain white or grey or something. Too busy with patterns. :D

• InoL
    InoL Member Posts: 9,207 Gold Crown

I was looking for the APEX forum. I can get to APEX but no posts at the highest level - just a sub-category of 'Packaged Applications'.

Same here, I can't find any Apex posts.

• acowling-Oracle
    acowling-Oracle Posts: 12 Employee
    edited Sep 30, 2020 3:11PM

Good news - I have unearthed some APEX post by clicking on content tagged 'APEX'

Bad news - However, this appears to be limited to a single screen with no pagination.

Pavel_p
  • InoL
    InoL Member Posts: 9,207 Gold Crown

Like many other I can't find any Apex posts, except for the Packaged Application sub-category.

Another thing is that I don't see an option to format text (bold, italic, font etc.)

I like the new Quote, as you can hide most of the quoted text. Quotes used to bloat posts in the previous forum.

This discussion has been closed.