Forum Stats

• 3,708,573 Users
  • 2,241,083 Discussions
  • 7,840,450 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transition Feedback Thread

Comments

• Jim Finch-OracleJim Finch-Oracle Moderator Posts: 524 Employee

Paul,

Thank you for your comments, I'm passing them on up to the appropriate teams.

I will be following up with the vendor this morning as to the weirdness with that thread. If anyone else is still getting the "you've been banned" screen, please reply to the thread and I'll add your info to the vendor report.

Screen in question:

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

• SFFD2SFFD2 Posts: 4 Blue Ribbon
    edited October 2020

How come there's no option for sorting by date?

You don't really think everyone wants to have to roll through your pagination just to get to the latest info, do you?

That makes re-anchoring to the forum a nightmare, too.

• sgeorge_otnsgeorge_otn Posts: 7 Green Ribbon

Has anyone noticed searches bring back results that are not very useful in the new forum. I'm almost sure I got better results in the old forum. Also I see that search doesn't show older posts (prior to migration), is this expected?

• Billy VerreynneBilly Verreynne Posts: 27,960 Red Diamond

Yep - I could not find code examples I posted some time ago to refer a poster to. Not even Google'ing helped - which often worked better than the old Jives search.

sgeorge_otn
  • Mint-InnitMint-Innit Posts: 371 Silver Badge

I'm finding the new site deeply frustrating to use. The faqs have not been any help. I have manage to save a link to the apex community or group or category or whatever it is now. But you can no longer search just apex you have to search the entire site (which makes it basically useless). Hopefully I'm just not seeing something obvious in how it is supposed to work. I'm just sad that the most useful resorce on apex is now lost to me :-(

• Mint-InnitMint-Innit Posts: 371 Silver Badge

Yes I found that, but there's no way to search just that comminity (that I can see, anwyay). I hope I'm wrong!

• PhHeinPhHein Moderator Posts: 7,141 Silver Trophy

You might be. Go to https://community.oracle.com/hub and serach everywhere for places:

But it's buggy.

@Jim Finch-Oracle : Search on hub: select everywhere:

takes you to https://community.oracle.com/hub/search?query=apex and everywhere is lost:

Regards, Phil

Well, there's a difference. Hub is just the log in area. There's no content there.

The lower pull down menu supersedes the upper one, so it's searching on the hub, where there's no content.

You can still search "everywhere" from any hub (like doing it natively here on tech) and that search is for all nodes.

But investigating the rest and revisiting search threads we have on the vendor site.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Still , if i'm selecting everywhere in the top toolbar here in tech it jumps back to tech in the results page, which is not easy to spot, unless you know it's strange.

• Timo HahnTimo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Moderator Posts: 36,620 Red Diamond

If you want ot search just the 'Apex Dicussions' forum you can do that from the search place too.

Select 'Discussions' and on right side in category field 'APEX Discussions' and click filter

The you search inside this category.

Timo

mathguy
  • fac586fac586 Senior Technical Architect Posts: 19,187 Black Diamond

And don't you find it odd that searching for "apex" in APEX Discussions only returns 4 results, all from the last three days?

Year Zero?

• Timo HahnTimo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Moderator Posts: 36,620 Red Diamond

Well, it's an image that is misleading. I just filled the values without searching, and the other results are cropped when I did the image.

Timo

Well, it's an image that is misleading. I just filled the values without searching, and the other results are cropped when I did the image.

That's why I continually protest at the posting of cropped screenshots...

When I run that search with "Sort By: Oldest" I get 64 results , with the earliest from 9 May 2020, which is still hopelessly deficient.

Like @Mint-Innit I am currently trying to research some APEX topics and getting no results when searching for content that I know exists—for example, searching for "english" in "APEX Discussions" does not return this post:

https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/3700429/how-using-different-success-messages-for-insert-update-delete-apex

That's why I continually protest at the posting of cropped screenshots...

In this case, taking the full screen wouldn't have helped as there are more results than fit on one screen. There is no visual indication that more results are coming. 

Anyway, the search result thing is a different problem. I just wanted to add the info that a forum can be searched.

Timo

• Mohamed HouriMohamed Houri Posts: 1,186 Bronze Trophy

Hi all

I am completely lost with this new forum. I was having a couple of friends I was following their interventions in this forum. Whenever they answer or ask a question I was receiving a notification by e-mail. I lot this!!! how can I re-establish it?

I lost also all my points.

Thanks for your answer

The 'following people' feature isn't currently available. I don't know if it will be back.

You did not lose your points. The old system points have been sent through an algorithm, and now you have 5710 points. Look at your profile.

Timo

• Andrew WatkinsAndrew Watkins Posts: 174 Bronze Badge

I am still trying but not getting far!

I would like to get email when people add comments /discussions to :

https://community.oracle.com/tech/apps-infra/categories/solaris_11 (last post 26th October)

or and of the sub discussions of

https://community.oracle.com/tech/apps-infra/categories/13305-solaris

At the moment I get OracleDB stuff but nothing from the above. He is what I have selected any ideas?

I guess there would be GREAT if the above would tell you what discussions groups they are referring to.

Thanks and I still trying to use this new forum..

Andrew

• mathguymathguy Posts: 9,311 Gold Crown
    edited October 2020

Fixed width font for code blocks

@Jim Finch-Oracle

Hi Jim,

If I am not mistaken, when the issue of fixed width font was brought up, you told us it's not a matter of people not understanding the need before the launch, but rather that code blocks were indeed supposed to use fixed width font, but something went wrong after the launch. And that it would be fixed.

It's many weeks later and nothing has changed. Can you please update us on that?

Also, perhaps it is not clear (to you or to others) what a big deal this is. If it is clear, then what's taking so long? How can this be something that is taking weeks to fix - especially if, indeed, this is how it was SUPPOSED to work, and indeed it did work in testing, before the launch? On the other hand, if you or others don't understand why this should be top priority (TOP OF THE LIST), please take a poll of the most senior forum participants in any "category" that has to do with coding. I only participate on SQL & PL/SQL, but I am sure there are many other categories that deal with code, and that have many veterans who will tell you the same thing.

As an aside - there have been folks in this thread and elsewhere who speculated that this is Oracle's way of killing the forum, because Oracle would rather make money through paid support and not have people get free support here. I don't believe that for a second (I believe Oracle is smart, and it knows it benefits from a lot of free advice given here rather than having their support people swamped with questions), but the effect is there nevertheless. I participate (much more now!) on Stack Overflow. Since your launch, I have seen several veterans of the SQL & PL/SQL forum posting on SO, who are either new there or who have participated very sporadically in the past. I predict that if you guys don't address at least the most basic issues very soon (fixed font being definitely among them), you will see more and more defections. Too bad; this was a really good place.

Best - mathguy

PaulzipPavel_p

Hi Mathguy,

I hear you and the font issue has again been escalated.

I will post an update when I hear updates from the dev team.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• InoLInoL Posts: 8,712 Silver Crown

A request from a veteran for newbies: can the external link posting restriction be lifted?

Too often I see "I am not able to post a link" which is certainly a problem in the Apex forum. People are requested to re-create their problem on apex.oracle.com, but are then not able to post the url to their application.

L. Fernigrini
  • BluShadowBluShadow Moderator Posts: 40,816 Red Diamond

Hi @InoL, that restriction is there to help prevent spam as a lot of it is obviously fly by posting with a link to some website.

I'm not sure if @Jim Finch-Oracle can see if the developers can open that up to allow links to oracle.com sites regardless, as obviously they wouldn't be spam links.

• L. FernigriniL. Fernigrini Database Practice Lead - Posts: 3,456 Bronze Crown

I agree, there should be a list of enabled sites, obviously anything from Oracle.com shoyuld be allowed but there are also many blogs and sites that we use frequently to recommend solutions that shouldn't be blocked...

• BluShadowBluShadow Moderator Posts: 40,816 Red Diamond

@L. Fernigrini the limitation is only on new members (if I recall correctly), so if you're a regular long time member, I don't think you should have any issues posting links to blogs/sites that support your solutions.

L. Fernigrini

Good to know! I had forgotten that (I've been quite busy last couple of weeks and could not follow up the community as I did before)

• MarwimMarwim Posts: 3,620 Gold Trophy

We already discussed that it is almost impossible to follow who answered to which post *. The only hint might be the order within a thread. But now I found that an accepted answer is taken even from this weak context and put at the top.

* I don't think that partly visible full quotes qualify as acceptable visual clues.

But now I found that an accepted answer is taken even from this weak context and put at the top.

There is already an Community Idea asking for this to be fixed. Please upvote it.

Marwim
    edited October 2020

We've made a quick change (on a vendor call now), the accepted answer now shows at the top of the thread in a separate area, a copy of it remains in the thread without being moved to the top in order to preserve the conversation structure.

Please let me know your feedback on this and I'll have the vendor shut it off if the community doesn't like it.

This is for the Tech Node only as an experiment. I will suggest it to the other nodes, should we get positive feedback here.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Billy VerreynneTimo HahnL. FernigriniMarwim

Work well in my view. Voting up.

• mathguymathguy Posts: 9,311 Gold Crown

@Jim Finch-Oracle - yes, that makes much more sense. That's how it was on the old platform, and I don't think anyone had an issue with that arrangement.

"On the Tech Node only as an experiment" - WHY? Did anyone complain about the old arrangement, as it existed before the migration? Did ANYBODY ask ANY of the forum participants (even in the non-Tech Node nodes) what they thought, before making this change in the migration process? I have an exceptionally hard time understanding the logic.

• InoLInoL Posts: 8,712 Silver Crown

Great solution. The accepted answer right after the OP is clear, and also it's original position in the thread. That would have saved me one posting, as mentioned by fac586 in his voting post 😀

edited October 2020

The nodes are run by different stakeholders and each node has its own needs. I'm implementing it here as it fits our needs, but I can only suggest it to the other stakeholders running their nodes. That is a decision they'll have to make for themselves.

As it's a new feature within this forum (yes, the old platform had something similar but this is a new implementation of it on a new platform), I'd also like us to kick the tires on it to make sure it's working properly before making the suggestion to the other stakeholders.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Seems exactly what I would expect. The "best" answer appears at the top, making simple to find it, but maintaining it on the thread allows to read it completely without loosing context.

Corporates are known for fixed and rigid areas of ownership and responsibilities, and loads of red tape when it comes to changes to operations. And I speak of personal experience. So I understand all too well the constraints that Jim needs to work under.

In cases like these, you do not get to pick the battles you are prepared to fight. You get thrown into senseless battles and need to fight it as best you can under the constraints you are, with the weapons available. And logic and critical thinking are seldom useful weapons in this case.

Scott WesleyMarwimBluShadowTimo Hahn

FYIW, I did present to the other stakeholders and Netsuite and MOSC want it on. So you should be seeing those changes on those nodes.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

BluShadow
  • EdStevens-OCEdStevens-OC Posts: 50 Silver Trophy

"And logic and critical thinking are seldom useful weapons in this case."

Unfortunately, that appears to be increasingly true in most areas of life. :-(

L. FernigriniBilly Verreynne
  • AntiksonAntikson Posts: 5 Green Ribbon
    edited November 2020

Javascript errors on Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined, in a browser console. Why do you use jquery? 🤔

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• PaulzipPaulzip Posts: 8,017 Gold Crown

@Jim Finch-Oracle

Is the non monospace font for code blocks issue ever going to get fixed?! It's been weeks now.

And yet it seems that should be very easy fix. Someone else has already pointed out that its a simple change to a style sheet.

Thank you for your question and your patience. This issue is in front of the developers now and I've seen the beta fix on the test server. When I have an ETA on the fix going to production, I'll announce it.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Paulzip
  • GregVGregV Posts: 3,008 Gold Crown

What about the painfully slow process when replying? I'm replying to a thread I created and this is going horribly slow, now the page has gone blank with a looping icon:

I hear the CPU's fan going crazy.

Test.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

I was replying to the same thread as GregV and hitting the same issue. For every reply in the thread it seems to be getting worse, CPU going through the roof, auto-saving taking an age.

• Stefan JagerStefan Jager Posts: 1,746 Silver Trophy

What really gets me is that as far as I can tell so many of the issues reported here could have been caught by a solid system test followed by a thorough beta test with a number of users. The fact that there are some threads that cause cpu spikes (it really makes you wonder how Vanilla is dealing with code in posts - is it trying to execute it or something?) for example, and fixed-width fonts for blocks of code (BB already managed that one already I don't know how many years ago). No offense to you Jim, but I think this whole transition could have been executed a lot better than it has been. Of course there are always going to be glitches and little bugs after going live, but some of this stuff is pretty major - stuff that when coming up in my beta tests would require going back to the drawing board...

The biggest consequence for me is that I've really lost interest. I used to stop by daily, now barely once a week. And that pains me, because the discussions here have always been great to follow and participate in. I've learned a lot here, it's always been a superb resource (and not neccessarily just about Oracle - frequently much more generic as well, or stuff that could equally be applied elsewehere). I really hope things will get better...

Paulzip

"The biggest consequence for me is that I've really lost interest."

I posted another thread on that exact subject. A lot of the stuff can be classified as 'minor annoyance'. But even a lot of those makes one wonder "what were they thinking?" And I never know if "they" are Oracle or Vanilla. But the real killers pushing me away are:

1) lack of an effective Inbox ('nuff said)

2) lack of mono-space fonts for code ('nuff said)

3) strict chronological listing of thread list in a catagory. There might be a slightly older thread, three pages down, with new content. But unless I'm willing to page down, looking to see if somthing might have a 'new' flag, I'd never know it. This, of course, goes back to lack of inbox. Even the 'work around' is fatally flawed.

4) cpu-sucking editor. Now I tend to write my posts in Word, then only after I am completed, copy and past the whole thing into the comment area.

As much as I dislike the overall format at Stack Exchange/Overflow, I find myself going there first for my daily reading.

Stefan Jager

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

It was this thread, Jim.

This discussion has been closed.