Forum Stats

• 3,873,762 Users
  • 2,266,638 Discussions
  • 7,911,626 Comments

Discussions

Transition Feedback Thread

Comments

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 38,907 Red Diamond

Just enter something into the search field and hit enter. This will get you to the search page.

Timo

• Joel Acha
    Joel Acha Member Posts: 1,373 Gold Trophy

I totally agree with @Christian Berg. I would really like to understand the rationale behind breaking up one website into several needing different log ins, notifications etc.

Christian Berg-0racle
  • Jim Finch-Oracle
    Jim Finch-Oracle Member Posts: 564 Employee

Tech MOSC Partners etc. are nodes. They are on the same server but run independently of each other and may have different profiles, different gamification, etc. They're self contained.

They house sub-communities. Apps & Infrastructure, Groundbreakers, and Welcome are our three sub-Communities on this node. They share gamification, e-mail, alerts, but have some separation (which you'll notice why your bookmarks for Groundbreakers don't work in Apps & Infra, for example, because they're different spaces).

Sub-Communities house Categories and Groups. Categories and sub-Categories are basically topics that equate to the areas we had on the old system.

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

• Jim Finch-Oracle

As far as is this thread the best to give feedback?

Yes. As I'm doing back end work I'm coming back to this thread as the main one I'm following as I work. I'm your customer service support (along with our volunteer moderators) so yup, best place.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• Jim Finch-Oracle

There was an issue where top level areas are not displaying posts as they should be when they have content and sub categories under it.

https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/categories/3057-machine_learning was one of those areas. I've moved the sub-category so you can see all of the content again.

I'm troubleshooting the rest of the server but that content is back.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

Gianni Ceresa
  • AndrewSayer
    AndrewSayer Member Posts: 13,007 Gold Crown

This is going to take some getting used to. I'm glad General Database Discussions has found it's way back, but it was not intuitive how to find it at all. I also had some issues earlier with the top menu bar buttons disappearing randomly, it looks like that's cleared up now.

You already know this, but the new site is still very slow, taking about 10 seconds to load a page enough to see it and then another 8 or so to be fully loaded.

It looks like spaces I was following before have been unfollowed and notifications of posts I was following that were updated has disappeared. Hopefully that is recoverable as it's hard to remember what threads I was involved in before everything went read only last week.

Our profile pictures are no longer there, I wouldn't mind so much if there were some default ones I could choose from instead of having to upload a custom one.

I'm not a fan of the like button looking like it will post to Facebook. Additionally, the mouse-over brings up information that doesn't fit in the box that appears.

Not to be that guy, but have points been migrated across as expected? Looking at the leader board on the bottom of https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/ quite a few people have 45K points exactly, it doesn't look right, one of the links points back to my own profile but I only have 30K points. I assume there's been a scale down of some sort as I look to have a fraction of my old points?

Positives: It looks like comments are now slightly easier to recover from drafts.

Hopefully this is a good opportunity to make these spaces more accessible for newcomers, it's been the same people answering questions on most spaces for a long time.

• Jim Finch-Oracle

Points were converted to the first applicable rank in the new system. So everyone is starting at the base point values of the rank they've achieved based on their previous jive points. You're seeing exactly 45000 because those folks were awarded that rank in the conversion of their Jive points and have yet to sign in (where they would be awarded the rest of the badges.

The rest, we're working on. Please hang in there.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• AndrewSayer
    AndrewSayer Member Posts: 13,007 Gold Crown

Thanks Jim, I see from doing my first new post I was awarded a few badges for all the posts I've done over time. I guess I'll also get a bunch of other badges like that the first (next) time I get a post liked and marked correct.

Also another small issue, when quoting your post: clicking on Quote opens the "Leave a Comment" box then scrolls up to before the post I clicked on - I'd expect it to scroll to Leave a Comment box

• Jim Finch-Oracle

Andrew, looks like the spam filter is being a bit over-zealous. I've deleted the other copies of this and restored this one. Shouldn't happen again for you.

I'll see if the scrolling is a "feature" or a "bug." Either way, we'll see what they say in the morning. :)

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

AndrewSayer
  • Another Dude
    Another Dude Member Posts: 24 Blue Ribbon

Sorry for my lack of finding a better expression, but I think it's clear what I mean.

Oracle had lots of time to be constructive. I don't need to be constructive, especially when all regular users earn and experience here are loss of reputation and disrespect for past accomplishments. It seems commitments and assurances of past community management have zero value. What am I going to do with some arbitrary ribbons and badges? How does this translate to any specific Oracle product or related technical expertise in any of the forums?

I find it funny how people seem to approve and try go along with just about anything, and try hard to see everything Oracle positive. Sorry if I cannot. And frankly speaking, I find all the self-appraisal of the Oracle community team and developers very odd. The user interface and experience is terrible. The community "editor" or whatever you call it doesn't even support basic features such as undo.

I can solve technical problems and usually find my way around, but this is too much. I click on notifications and see 47 new objects without any reference to what forum it corresponds to. It's too simplistic on one hand and becomes impractical, forcing me to work in a linear single-task fashion. And on the other hand, navigation is a circle to nowhere.

Trying to find any discussions forums is nothing but a very tedious process. All I can find here is Jim Finch. But all the technical and navigation issues aside, destroying people's past reputation is a disgrace. I haven't even seen any apology for any of the inconveniences caused.

This discussion has been closed.
welcome