Forum Stats

• 3,769,290 Users
  • 2,252,943 Discussions
  • 7,874,980 Comments

Discussions

Cannot navigate to 'General Database Discussions' easily

martin75
martin75 Member Posts: 189 Bronze Badge

Why on earth is 'General Database Discussions' classified under "Groundbreakers Developer Community" ?

How can a user who is new to Oracle communities (not sure what is the new name of Oracle forums) navigate to 'General Database Discussions' using plain logic and without googling ?

Answers

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 37,666 Red Diamond

Where have you looked for the 'General Database Questions'?

Which category would you like it a sub-category from?

The easy answer is to use the search feature of the community (the magnifier glass).

Right now, as the whole forum is still in an phase of switching, there isn't a right answer. The categories are not chisel in stone (I guess). The 'General Database Discussions' first was under a different category, where you couldn't find it either.

Give the admins and the developers some time to get everything running. The categories and how you navigate them will change. There are multiple mentioned of this in the

thread. Sorry, it is very long and hard to read because to merging some threads together.

Timo

• Jim Finch-Oracle
    Jim Finch-Oracle Member Posts: 564 Employee

Go here: https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/Categories

Scroll down, General Database Discussions is a category.

Click the category to find the sub-category filled with discussions. Or just bookmark: https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/categories/3063-general_questions1

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

martin75
  • EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,525 Gold Crown

Timo -

I'm sure things are in flux for a while. Both necessary and maddening. Necessary because we expect there to be lessons learned and adjustments made. Maddening because in the mean time, everything is a moving target.

That said, part of the 'lessons learned' is getting exactly this kind of feedback - people point out how hard it is to find something and how non-intuitive a lot of this new platform actually is.

As for the OP's specific issue, I had exactly the same one. I would not expect 'database - general' - which is almost exclusively a DBA area, to be under a 'Developers' heading.

martin75
  • EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,525 Gold Crown

Jim -

While providing the url and a few navigation hints addresses the OP's immediate question, it doesn't leave a high hope that the site will ever become more intuitive or easy to navigate. I had exactly the same question as the OP a couple of days ago. And while I now have that discussion area bookmarked (until it possibly gets relocated again), I would likely have never found it without some help. 'Database - General Discussion' is almost exclusively a DBA concern. And as a DBA, I would never think to look for it under a heading of "Developers".

martin75