• 3,757,562 Users
  • 2,251,245 Discussions
  • 7,869,866 Comments

Discussions

Platform performance

Comments

• Paulzip
    Paulzip Member Posts: 8,445 Blue Diamond

I'm seeing this hanging, delayed response issue YET again, too. I'm absolutely gobsmacked that it's still a problem and can't be addressed given it was probably first mentioned over a year ago.

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle
    Leigh.Burke-Oracle Senior Product Manager Posts: 261 Employee

@BluShadow and @Paulzip

I'm sorry to hear you are still experiencing issues and I'm currently working with our internal teams and the vendor so we can resolve this for you. I just have a couple of questions to help me/us investigate the cause of the issues.

• Have you seen any improvement with the updates we have made in the past?
    • Is there a specific page/thread/category/community where you are seeing this?
    • Do you notice any difference in location/time/day/etc anything where things are improved or worse? i.e. it's worse in x category or it seems better during this time frame.

Personally I am not seeing this kind of issues when I'm on our VPN and logged into my account - the post comment only disables for a split second when the draft autosave runs, but i'm not experiencing the hanging issues you are describing. So I want to make sure when we try and test other cases such as outside of the VPN we're using similar scenarios as what you are experiencing.

Thank you,

Leigh

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 41,383 Red Diamond

Hi Leigh :)

• Have you seen any improvement with the updates we have made in the past? Not really, but I don't know when you're doing the updates. If I'm providing a short answer then it seems to be ok most of the time but, for example, I was just replying to someone with quite a lengthy answer, including some code blocks where I was just typing some example stuff (nothing copy/pasted in) and it took me half an hour or so to type, and as I was nearing the end it started getting slow on the draft saving to the point the browser asked me if I wanted to wait... but it did come back long enough for me to just finish what I was typing and submit it. If you ask me, it's something to do with the length/complexity of the content.
    • Is there a specific page/thread/category/community where you are seeing this? Tricky to answer as most of my contribution is over in the SQL and PL/SQL space. Not any one specific thread or anything. This last time I was the first person to be answering the OP, so it's not like the thread itself was long. Just regular question/discussion threads.
    • Do you notice any difference in location/time/day/etc anything where things are improved or worse? i.e. it's worse in x category or it seems better during this time frame. Time of day doesn't seem to make a difference as far as I can tell. Obviously I'm only here during normal working hours when I can be, not all the time and not after work. The other day it was happening in the morning for me, and just now it's early afternoon (British Summer Time - if you can call it summer with all the cloud ha!) From experience it does seem to relate to length/complexity of response.

Personally I am not seeing this kind of issues when I'm on our VPN and logged into my account - the post comment only disables for a split second when the draft autosave runs, but i'm not experiencing the hanging issues you are describing. So I want to make sure when we try and test other cases such as outside of the VPN we're using similar scenarios as what you are experiencing.

Indeed, in the early stages of responding the post comment does only disable for a split second (though annoyingly if I'm in the middle of typing something inside a code block, after saving the draft the cursor jumps to the start of the code block - that's another bug!), but after a while as the response grows it seems to slow down. The example of the last one I had it happening on is my post (the first reply) on here: https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/4486704/reg-need-conceptual-understanding-on-window-functions-joins-sub-queries

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@BluShadow - thank you very much for the detailed reply. I just took a look at the link you shared to get an idea of the length of post/reply so I can do some testing based on that - normally I'm doing shorter replies so I honestly haven't experienced an issue with longer replies.

One more question - are you only seeing this on replies? Do you ever see it when you start your own thread?

Finally - I'll not the code block issue in a separate task with our internal team and will follow up if we have any additional questions regarding that bug.

Thanks again,

Leigh

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 41,383 Red Diamond

I'm not really one for starting my own threads that much (except occasionally in the mods forum). I tend to be more of a "helper" than a person needing help (any help I need would require a doctor 🤣) I'd have to try it and see.... if I get time to.

To replicate the code block issue:

1. type something, highlight it, then use the icon to the left to open the menu and select the quotes and then code block
    2. position cursor inside the code block and keep typing
    3. as has just happened to me, when the draft gets saved the cursor jumps to the top of the code block and I have to re-position the cursor to continue typing where I want.
    (Currently I am using Chrome browser if that makes any difference)

• Paulzip

@Leigh.Burke-Oracle

Thanks for your reply. I was able to replicate and experience the issue easily, within a few minutes of trying, so I'm really baffled why Oracle devs or the site vendors can't replicate.

I replied to this thread. I quoted someone, (BubleBoy 10:40am) typed a few paragraphs of text. Created a code block and pasted a bit of sample code (40 lines), another couple of paragraphs, then another code block (50 lines). Autosave time increasing non-linearly as the reply got longer. I kept typing and et voila, Autosave taking an age, page non-responsive.

Pick a thread with quite a few replies, with code blocks and quotes in. Try keeping the reply open for a while and keep typing, adding a few code blocks.

Also, maybe try concurrently with someone else replying to the thread whilst you do.

I'm even experiencing it with this reply now, huge delays - 100% CPU usage in Chrome Task Manager, Page Unresponsive Warning.

Replies to your questions :

• Have you seen any improvement with the updates we have made in the past? No, not really
    • Is there a specific page/thread/category/community where you are seeing this? No, anywhere on the site.
    • Do you notice any difference in location/time/day/etc anything where things are improved or worse? i.e. it's worse in x category or it seems better during this time frame. No, can happen at any time

• Paulzip

My reply above took over 2 minutes to post....

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@Paulzip

Thank you very much for the additional detail. I don't generally post code in my replies, so that is very helpful. Based on the information from you and @BluShadow it seems like length of the reply and possibly including code blocks are adding to the issue. Have you noticed issues when you do short replies with code blocks? What about short replies with no code blocks?

I think we are definitely narrowing down the issue and we are working with the internal team as well they are working with the vendor.

I appreciate all of your help and again apologize for the continued issues.

Thanks again,

Leigh

• mathguy
    mathguy Member Posts: 10,069 Blue Diamond

You asked if we notice changes (improvements or the opposite). We do, cyclically.

The computer freezes started again two days ago. Things were OK for a while. If I am not mistaken, the other issue - the focus jumping to the beginning of the code block - has been happening continuously for some time, and it's not dependent on browser (mine is Firefox on top of Linux).

The symptoms, I am sure of it, are the same for all users, regardless of platform and browser. If you post a "site admin question" on the SQL and PL/SQL forum and ask people to vote, you will quickly see that. Most people just don't bother - they assume there will be enough others who will report the problem so they don't need to do it themselves.

It is pretty obvious that someone is making changes to the software infrastructure; often, it seems, old issues reappear - it's not a matter of new issues we had not seen before. So, the vendor (or whoever) fixes some of the issues, then a change is made later that un-does the fixes.

• Paulzip

@Leigh.Burke-Oracle People are still experiencing this issue (me included). Any feedback on when Oracle and / or the vendor might finally fix it?!