• 3,701,864 Users
  • 2,239,504 Discussions
  • 7,835,593 Comments

Discussions

How to find older threads?

Older links to OTN that link to pages with /thread/ still work

--https://community.oracle.com/thread/3560274

becomes

--https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/3560274/first-value-in-order-by-different-from-min

But links with /message/ no longer work

--https://community.oracle.com/message/9932503 (Won't work, but I could find it using Google because I had additional information.)

Since the search does not work and the title is not always specific, it is hard to find the content. Is there a way to find it using the link information?

Marcus

Tagged:

Answers

• Timo HahnTimo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Moderator Posts: 36,444 Red Diamond

The '.../message/...' means that you are looking for a private message to yourself or which you sent?

If yes, where is google pointing to?

Are the old private messages still available?

Timo

• MarwimMarwim Posts: 3,620 Gold Trophy

I don't know what the difference between message and thread was.

the /message/ link from above is most likely this thread:

https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/3600329/join-multiple-versioned-tables

To me there is no visible difference

• Timo HahnTimo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Moderator Posts: 36,444 Red Diamond

OK, now I get it.

I guess the difference bewteen thread and message is, that 'message' points to an answer inside a thread and 'thread' is the whole thread (in the old jive software).

It looks like the migration took the thread id and assigned the same id as part of the new discussion. The answers were added to the new discussions without such a mapping.

If I'm right, I don't see how links to answers inside a thread can be reconstructed. This would be really bad. I'm sure there are many links in blogs or bookmark lists of users pointing to specific answers in old threads.

Timo

• andreml-xandreml-x Posts: 17 Blue Ribbon

Hi Timo,

If this contribution is meant to be a kind of apology, it is very well hidden...

It is a tragedy that such a renowned organization is so bumbling and short-sighted in such a migration.

Sorry, can't be more gently.

Regards

Andre

Where do you read something about an apology?

It isn't. I don't know what to apologize for. I'm not an Oracle employee and have nothing to do with the migration. All I try to do is to analyze the problem in detail.

Timo

Hi Tmo,

so you did not want to apologize on behalf of Oracle. That reassures me, because I would have found that strange.

What worries me is that nobody from Oracle says anything about this hint and the questions.

This is not the only post where this is the case.

So why do people like you have to do this job?

Unfortunately I have the impression that the whole thing (Transition Feedback Thread) here is like writing letters to Santa Claus. And if there is actually an answer, it is often just a egging around.

Regards

Andre

• Jim Finch-OracleJim Finch-Oracle Moderator Posts: 504 Employee

Hi Andre,

Timo is a Community Moderator, he's part of a team of volunteers who help answer questions and move, redirect and remove posts that don't belong in our areas. While a volunteer, Timo or any of the moderators do not speak for Oracle, nor should their answers be taken as official Oracle responses. They're here to help and are valuable assets in our community.

If you're looking for someone official, then look no further, what can I help you with today?

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

Hi,

there are so many things bad and worse with this "new" forum.

So many (also commonly known and communitywide accepted persons) said and wrote so much.

I won't repeat none of them. I do think, if you want to know these criticisms you will find them for sure.

Only this - what I found right now.

Why is my name gone and where and how can I make it appear to other users again? - And I really don't want to know why it's gone suddenly...

Regards

Andre (that's my name)

I do not want to be addressed with a number...:

• PhHeinPhHein Moderator Posts: 7,125 Silver Trophy

Hio Phil,

well what I see there *is*:

However, this display name is not shown in the forum...

And now?

Regards

Andre

It might take a bit (Batchläufe sind lahm) to be taken over into the communities. Just wait until tomorrow. If it doesn't change, we'll ping Jim.

@Jim Finch-Oracle : Any idea why Andre`s new user name doesn't show up?

No, no, that's *not* right.

This username (display name) is used by me for many, many years.

However, it is no longer displayed.

I think this happened sometime during this week, but I can't give an exact date.

(Maybe this info helps with troubleshooting.)

Regards

Andre