Forum Stats

• 3,782,434 Users
  • 2,254,645 Discussions
  • 7,880,078 Comments

Discussions

meaning of background colors

This may have been asked earlier, but there were so many issues/questions with the rollout of the new platform - and many in a single thread, that it seems reasonable to open a new, specific question.

What is the meaning of the various colors used in thread listings? For instance, I open a category, and some threads are listed with a white background and others with blue/grey background:

And some flash a black background when the cursor moves over them.

And in some listings, the thread title may be bold or not bold:

So what are these different colorizations supposed to be telling me?

Answers

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 37,782 Red Diamond

My findings are:

a thread you have already visited turns black when you hoover over it.

I don't see white/grey background (using chrome and brave) for threads.

I see bold thread titles for thread I have not visited, normal font for threads I visited (kind of the same as the black hoover).

Timo

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,611 Gold Crown
    edited Dec 3, 2020 8:55PM

Timo - have you been able to determine if the 'normal font for threads I've visited' goes back to bold if there is new content since my last visit?

Interesting that you don't see the grey vs. white background. I use Firefox, FWIW. A little more experimentation seems to indicate that the 'grey' background means the same as the black flash background. I seem to only get the black flash on those threads that have the grey background. I just tried it with Chrome, viewing exactly the same category listing as in FF (side by side) and in Chrome do not see the grey background, NOR the black flash.

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 37,782 Red Diamond

Yes, the font changes back to bold (tested with this thread 🙂) and the hoover color is not black in this case either.

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,611 Gold Crown

OK, I need to retract my earlier statement about seeing none of this in Chrome. I just realized I simply went to a copied URL, but was not actually logged on through chrome. Once I logged on, the rest became visible.