Forum Stats

• 3,722,216 Users
  • 2,244,253 Discussions
  • 7,849,707 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CAPTCHA

Paulzip
Paulzip Member Posts: 8,170 Gold Crown

Why am I getting asked to complete a CAPTCHA when I reply to a post over a few lines in length? Couple that with the CAPTCHA failing!

Answers

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle
    Leigh.Burke-Oracle Community Experience Manager Posts: 212 Employee
    edited March 30

@Paulzip

Can you please let me know exactly where you are trying to post and getting a CAPTCHA? As I'm not sure why you are seeing it.

Thank you,

Leigh Burke

Community Experience Manager

• Paulzip

It's happening if I post on https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/categories/sql_and_pl_sql and it's more than a few lines of text, for example, source code.

I've tried with and without formatting and on both Chrome and Firefox and in incognito mode and it happened regardless.

I tried posting on this thread, it failed multiple times after making me answer 2 CAPTCHAs each time, giving a permissions error until @Jennifer B-Oracle sorted the permissions. However, after the permissions fix, it was still making me answer CAPTCHAs to post the last reply I made.

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@Paulzip

Interesting I'm not having any issues. Can you please try again and take a screenshot of the captcha so I can work with our team to try and figure out what is happening. You can share it in this thread or send me a private message with the image if you prefer.

Thank you,

Leigh

• Paulzip

Hi Leigh

I'm not seeing CAPTCHA any more at the moment, but if I do I'll screenshot it.

• mathguy
    mathguy Member Posts: 9,609 Gold Crown

I've been having the same problem for the past few days. Probably started the same time as Paulzip noticed it (and very likely other participants at least on the SQL and PL/SQL forum, one of the most active if not the most active of your forums).

I didn't think to capture a screenshot of the CAPTCHA screen, but I will get many more chances - perhaps even when posting this reply I am typing now. I did capture a screenshot of something infinitely worse - if this doesn't stop, this will indeed be the end of my involvement with this forum. Namely, - something that never happened before - after I finish performing the CAPTCHA tasks, I get an error message and my post is gone forever. It feels like I am on the Work In Vain Cooperative, not a professional discussion forum.

The attachment has a timestamp of when this happened (U.S. PDT time zone). The thread I was posting a reply to was

but this has happened in several other threads. The common factor is "when" (past few days), and perhaps the content of the post and of the overall thread, not "where" (not a specific thread, or a small number of specific threads).

My browser is Firefox 78.8 for Oracle Linux, on top of Oracle Linux Server 7.9.

• mathguy
    mathguy Member Posts: 9,609 Gold Crown

Sure enough - I was asked to complete a CAPTCHA when I posted the reply just above this one. Note that it doesn't contain any code (obviously), and it is in a different area of your site (it is not on the Groundbreakers domain). At least, in this case my post wasn't lost, as it was earlier this morning.

• Solomon Yakobson
    Solomon Yakobson Member Posts: 18,195 Black Diamond

I am running into the same issue for the l;ast 2 days. Same like Paulzip mentioned CAPTCHA pops up when I'm posting larger snippets of code.

SY.

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@mathguy Thank you for the screenshot that is very helpful. I'm working with our teams internally to investigate as my understanding is you should not be seeing any Captchas when posting.

As soon as I hear back I will let you.

Thanks again,

Leigh Burke

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@mathguy , @Paulzip or @Solomon Yakobson the next time this happens could you please grab a full screenshot with that includes the IP and rayID at the bottom of the notice and either post here or send it directly to me so we can further investigate why this is happening.

Thank you,

Leigh Burke