Forum Stats

• 3,770,778 Users
  • 2,253,164 Discussions
  • 7,875,581 Comments

Discussions

New, annoying pop-up

While typing a response, this popped up:

I couldn't clear it, and it was on top of what I was trying to type. Could only clear it by leaving the page.

And 'browser slowdown' persists.

Comments

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 37,675 Red Diamond

Did you use an '@' in your response?

The popup looks like the dialog to select another user to mention her/him.

I only get it once I type the '@', but it closes itself by either selecting something from the popup or type a space.

Timo

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,537 Gold Crown

Did you use an '@' in your response?

I don't remember, but its quite possible. Yesterday I was helping people with tns connection syntax, which uses that symbol. And now that I test it, yes, that is it. And now that I see it, I have to say that is a horrible feature in the context of this forum, where that symbol is a standard part of oracle syntax used frequently.

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle
    Leigh.Burke-Oracle Senior Product Manager Posts: 261 Employee

@EdStevens the '@' to mention people is a fairly common configuration in communities, if you are using the @ in the context of code is it still doing it when you use the code formatting? (click the paragraph icon to the left of the comment box, then the quote and select code block)

Thanks,

Leigh

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,537 Gold Crown

I know that it is common on other forums, but other forums don't specialize in a subject where the '@' sign is a common part of code being presented and discussed. And it looks like it has just begun in the last day or so.

The problem occurs while typing the text .... BEFORE one gets a chance to select the text for code formatting.

• fac586
    fac586 Senior Technical Architect Member Posts: 20,144 Red Diamond

The problem occurs while typing the text .... BEFORE one gets a chance to select the text for code formatting.

And if you format the code in the middle of composing the post you'll awaken the CPU-eating JavaScript monster...

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@fac586 - hmm I thought our devs were working on this issue and had address some it - I'll follow up with them on that - thanks for the reminder to check in with them.

Leigh

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@EdStevens - ok I have noticed when I type the @ and then just keep typing the pop up goes away then comes back a couple of times until I'm about three or 4 spaces (not just characters) away. I''m trying now with @orcl to see if it will clear out as well or if the pop up remains and for me the pop up has cleared, but it will be interesting to see if it tags anyone when I post this.

Let me know if the pop up ultimately goes away for you if you just keep typing and do not select anyone to at mention.

Finally, I don't have an immediate suggestion for how to change the way to tag someone in a thread only within our community, since as you mention the @ is used quite a bit and this platform is used by many communities, but I will certainly try to think on this with our devs.

Thanks,

Leigh