Forum Stats

• 3,760,410 Users
  • 2,251,702 Discussions
  • 7,871,108 Comments

Discussions

New to Oracle - Questions from a beginner

Hello everyone,

Miguel here, brand new to Oracle and really like it. I just got out of college and I am landed a positional as an application analyst mainly working with Oracle JDE and various other software. I really like working with Oracle and the servers on the back end. One of the senior guys said I should look into some certifications in Oracle. After searching this site and looking at other threads. I am leaning to starting with 1Z0-071 - Oracle Database Administrator 12c Certified Associate. I am hoping I could get some advice on my plan to study and certify.

I have two study guides - 1) OCA Oracle Database SQL exam guide by O'Hearn and 2) Study Guide for 1Z0-071 by Morris. I also purchased a course through Udemy on this particular test (1Z0-071). I plan on taking the test at the end of July to early August depending on availability. Is there anything else that you recommend I do to study/prepare for this exam?

Also, if and when I pass the exam. What next step would you recommend I do? I would like to be in a Application developer or database administrator position someday. However, I like oracle and would like to stay with it, is there other software/coding/anything else you all would recommend me looking into?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Best Answer

• Maicon Carneiro
    Maicon Carneiro Member Posts: 3 Red Ribbon
    Accepted Answer

Hi, I was at your place a few years ago.

The 1z0-071 exam is a good independent starting point if you want to proceed as a developer or database administrator.

The syllabus would include putting together an excel sheet with the exam topics currently appearing on the Oracle website. In this worksheet, you would put a column beside how comfortable you are with the topic, giving a grade from 0 to 10.

It is also important to check exam topics frequently and not confirm 100% in the guidebook as they can become obsolete over time (this happened to me at OCA 12c 1z0-062).

I recommend you practice a lot and become familiar with the results of SQL functions, SQL exams usually charge a lot for this type of domain.

After the exam next steps:

Here you will have to choose whether you want to be a PL/SQL developer or a database administrator, although they work with the same technology, they have very different responsibilities.

If you really enjoy developing code more, then I would recommend following the OCA and OCP certification path in PL/SQL (assuming you want to work with this language).

If you want to be a database administrator, I would recommend you tread the OCP 2019 (1z0-082 and 1z0-083). Also, it's important to start learning a little about Cloud and I would recommend OCI: Autonomous Database, Database Cloud Services, etc.

You can get more free knowledge at Oracle LiveLabs and suddenly doing some of these workshops, help you identify with what kind of task you really enjoy doing (developing or administering databases).

https://apexapps.oracle.com/pls/apex/dbpm/r/livelabs/home

Answers

• Maicon Carneiro
    Maicon Carneiro Member Posts: 3 Red Ribbon
    Accepted Answer

Hi, I was at your place a few years ago.

The 1z0-071 exam is a good independent starting point if you want to proceed as a developer or database administrator.

The syllabus would include putting together an excel sheet with the exam topics currently appearing on the Oracle website. In this worksheet, you would put a column beside how comfortable you are with the topic, giving a grade from 0 to 10.

It is also important to check exam topics frequently and not confirm 100% in the guidebook as they can become obsolete over time (this happened to me at OCA 12c 1z0-062).

I recommend you practice a lot and become familiar with the results of SQL functions, SQL exams usually charge a lot for this type of domain.

After the exam next steps:

Here you will have to choose whether you want to be a PL/SQL developer or a database administrator, although they work with the same technology, they have very different responsibilities.

If you really enjoy developing code more, then I would recommend following the OCA and OCP certification path in PL/SQL (assuming you want to work with this language).

If you want to be a database administrator, I would recommend you tread the OCP 2019 (1z0-082 and 1z0-083). Also, it's important to start learning a little about Cloud and I would recommend OCI: Autonomous Database, Database Cloud Services, etc.

You can get more free knowledge at Oracle LiveLabs and suddenly doing some of these workshops, help you identify with what kind of task you really enjoy doing (developing or administering databases).

https://apexapps.oracle.com/pls/apex/dbpm/r/livelabs/home

• WizKid1904
    WizKid1904 Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Thanks! This is a big help. I appreciate you taking the time and sending me this information.