Forum Stats

• 3,758,107 Users
  • 2,251,330 Discussions
  • 7,870,033 Comments

Discussions

I am not able to Share or Claim My Certificate

User_HHLYL
User_HHLYL Member Posts: 1 Employee

I just completed my OCI Certification on Architect Professionals.

From CertView I am able to download the Certificate but I am not able to Share or Claim it from Certview.

I am not seeing the option at all, which I see in my Associate and Foundation Certifications.

Please help me on this...

Answers

• Sarfaraz1235
    Sarfaraz1235 Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon
    edited Aug 11, 2021 7:43AM

Certificate validation errors are a frequent cause of issues when dealing with APIs and Web services calls, especially when self-signed certificates are used.

The error message is usually javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed.

How to Troubleshoot

Run your code with the following system property: javax.net.debug="ssl,handshake,trustmanager". This trace will provide the most relevant output. You may want to save the entire output to a file.

At the top you will the exact trust store file used by the JVM as well as the available certificates:

javax.net.ssl|DEBUG|01|main|2019-07-24 16:11:55.923 EDT|TrustStoreManager.java:112|trustStore is: ./src/test/resources/com/myarch/sec/cryptofiles/app_truststore.pkcs12

Later on, after "ServerHello", you will see the Java certification chain (could be a single certificate too, in the case of a self-signed certificate, it's always one cert) presented by the server:

javax.net.ssl|DEBUG|01|main|2019-07-24 16:11:56.511 EDT|CertificateMessage.java:358|Consuming server Certificate handshake message (

"Certificates": [

"certificate" : {

"version"            : "v3",

"serial number"      : "00 FD FF 7C 02 1F DF B2 51",

"signature algorithm": "SHA256withRSA",

"issuer"             : "CN=Go Daddy Secure Certificate Authority - G2, OU=http://certs.godaddy.com/repository/, O="GoDaddy.com, Inc.", L=Scottsdale, ST=Arizona, C=US",

"not before"         : "2017-10-27 19:32:01.000 EDT",

"not  after"         : "2019-10-27 19:32:01.000 EDT",

"subject"            : "CN=myarch.com, O=My Arch Inc., L=Centreville, ST=Virginia, C=US,

To see an abbreviated list of serial numbers of certificates in the trust store and certificates from the server, run:

cat log_file | grep  "serial\|ServerHello"

The output will look like this

"serial number"      : "00 86 9A E3 5A 4D FE 72 BA",

javax.net.ssl|DEBUG|01|main|2019-07-24 16:11:56.415 EDT|ServerHello.java:866|Consuming ServerHello handshake message (

"ServerHello": {

javax.net.ssl|DEBUG|01|main|2019-07-24 16:11:56.416 EDT|ServerHello.java:962|Negotiated protocol version: TLSv1.2

"serial number"      : "00 FD FF 7C 02 1F DF B2 51",

"serial number"      : "07",

"serial number"      : "1B E7 15",

"serial number"      : "00",

One of the certificates (and one of the serials) in the trust store must match one of the certificates from the server.

How to Fix

You have a choice of adding the end entity's certificate (with the subject's CN usually matching the domain/hostname) or one of its issuers to the trust store.

Going with the end-entity certificate is more secure, however, you will need to update it when it changes/expires on the server. CA certificates have a much longer validity period, but having the CA cert in the trust store will make ALL of the certificates issued by that CA trusted by default (unless it was revoked by the CA).

The easiest is to obtain the certificates from the server is by using openssl:

openssl s_client -connect myarch.com:443  -showcerts

Copy the certificate that you want to import (starting with "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----" and including "-----END CERTIFICATE-----") into a file. This gives you a PEM-encoded certificate.

Import the certificate into the truststore:

keytool -import -alias cert_alias -file cert_file -keystore truststore_file