Forum Stats

• 3,827,258 Users
  • 2,260,753 Discussions
  • 7,897,193 Comments

Discussions

'@' is now a meta-character, causing issues in creating examples

OK, so recently I've noticed that if I type an '@', the platform will start suggesting usernames that match whatever follows. Nice, if you are trying to tag another user.

Not so nice when the character is part of example code, like in a connect string.

Which is more important in a technical forum that exists to discuss coding?

Similar issues with 'greater than' and 'less than' symbols. Trying to write code that includes comparisons results in the comparison disappearing and the code getting formatted as a quote.

Again, what feature is more important in a forum that spends a lot of time discussing and showing code?

Best Answer

Answers

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 38,461 Red Diamond

I don't see this happen if I put the @ in a code block

@test without meta character expansion 
    <= symbol 
    >= symbol 

Outside a code block, the behavior is different.

Timo

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown

That means creating the code "block" before actually writing the code ....

OK, I see that now. I'd never tried creating a block without actually having selected text to format ....

Thanks.

L. Fernigrini
  • L. Fernigrini
    L. Fernigrini Data Engineer Sr Consultant Member Posts: 3,839 Silver Crown

I agree, I usually start writing and then apply the format, but seems to be a reasonable workaround that allows to have both the option to "tag" someone on normal text and use the symbol in code.

• EdStevens

I agree, I usually start writing and then apply the format, but seems to be a reasonable workaround that allows to have both the option to "tag" someone on normal text and use the symbol in code.

Agreed. Being able to tag someone is a nice feature. I just wasn't aware of the work-around.

That said, I'm not sure what to make of the treatment of the 'greater-than' sign as a meta-character, turning the text into a quote. And it does that even if I've already designated it to be code.

For instance, for the following line I started on a new line, selected to make it code, then, as code, started typing "where my_col {'greater than symbol' here} your_col". You can see the result. It dropped the greater-than, and turned the paragraph into a quote, replacing the code designation.

where my_col your_col

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 38,461 Red Diamond
    where my_col > your_col

Well, you are right that it's hard to type the 'greater than' into a code block.

next_try > 5

It works if the characters are added between existing characters. I typed 'next_try 5' and added the 'greater than' between the 'y 5' after that.

Timo

• EdStevens
    edited Nov 2, 2021 3:33PM

Hmm. The work-around for the '@' seems reasonable.

The work-around for the comparison seems more like a work-around for a bug that should be addressed. The paragraph has already been designated, and recognized, as code. Then the editor decides it is smarter than the person writing the code and overrides their explicit designation. Definitely a bug.

• Timo Hahn
    Answer ✓

Right, but we are waiting for a long time for the fix already.

Timo

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 41,978 Red Diamond

With the buggy nature of the forum, I have my code written in my own editor (notepad, TOAD or whatever), then on the community editor, I simply type a single character, highlight and turn that to a code block and then copy and paste in my code to that.

I find if I paste the code in first and then try and change it to a code block, it messes up the formatting of the code too much... so always better the other way around (though I still get double blank lines where there should only be one)

Let's face it, this community platform wasn't really designed for techie/code people to use, or by people who understand techie/code. If it was, all these things would have been considered as a priority. 😀

L. FernigriniMarwimUser51642 Yong Huang