• 3,874,717 Users
  • 2,266,768 Discussions
  • 7,911,958 Comments

Discussions

A Thank-You versus Social-Media-Braggart-Rights

Billy Verreynne
Billy Verreynne Software EngineerMember Posts: 28,945 Red Diamond

I received this (as I'm sure others have):

Accepting the badge needs a registration at a 3rd party site, in order to use the badge via social media - and of course serves marketing Oracle on social media.

No thanks. I'm not interested in social media. I'm not interested in selling Oracle (though I will and do recommend Oracle products worth considering from a technical perspective).

Saying thanks to me via a private mail just saying "thanks!" will mean a whole lot more to me than a so-called reward that I am expected to use via social media to spotlight Oracle.

I realise that I'm likely an odd one out thinking this social media badge is a bit insulting. But this kind of approach to saying thanks simply solidify my belief that our species are running blindly towards the Great Filter (the most feasible explanation of the Fermi Paradox).

Marwim

Comments

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown

Billy - you may be an odd one out, but count me firmly in your camp on this. I would ocasionally get similar emails, and follow-ups reminding me to 'claim my award'. I ignored them all. I also do not know how many 'points' I've "earned" on these forums, or what my "ranking" is - and thus will never have a reason to complain about loss of same during forum platform changes.

Ultimately, these points and awards are nothing more than pixels on a screen. Like you, I'm much more appreciative of an acknowledgement from someone human I've grown to respect than from some ranking/point/award system.

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,945 Red Diamond

Ed, that reminds me - if you're ever in my part of the world please look me up and the coffee or beer is on me. I have always appreciate your expertise and opinion.

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 42,566 Red Diamond

Likewise, I've not "claimed" my badge for social media. Call me a grumpy ol' git, but it does nothing for me.

Like you say Billy, a personal message of thanks would be better appreciated.

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,945 Red Diamond

You grumpy ol' git...

PhHeinBluShadowEdStevens
  • EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown

"Why sure I'm a curmudgeon, mighty proud to say it, always miiiiiggghty proud to say it".

(With apologies to Meredith Wilson and Robert Preston).