Forum Stats

• 3,722,191 Users
  • 2,244,246 Discussions
  • 7,849,699 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...

Christina Brashear-Oracle
Christina Brashear-Oracle Unicorn Member Posts: 46 Employee

Hi all,

We've got some big news! The Oracle Developer Community group now has a brand new name: Oracle Groundbreakers. We’ve made this change because we want to recognize all of you in our developer community for your work, passion—and maybe most of all—for the cool stuff that you build!

You'll also notice in the next few days that we have a new banner to go along with the new name. It's a work in progress and we're committed to continuing to make changes that improve the site for our members. As always, we welcome your ideas and suggestions and look forward to hearing what you have to say .

Thanks for all the groundbreaking work you do, and for being a part of our community here!

-Christina

eudriscabrera-JavaNetKarthikeyan?Balu-OracleEdStevensKayKfac586MarwimBluShadowTimo HahnZlatko SiroticManu.handatDude!John_KjgarryChristian BergRobert AngelJim-DChitrasai1-OracleJonathanWhiteheadStefan JagerJarkko TurpeinenRafa Escano-Oracle

Answers

• Zlatko Sirotic
    Zlatko Sirotic Member Posts: 2,131 Gold Trophy
    edited October 2018

Too many marketing buzzwords - not digestible, even with chocolate.

Regards,

Zlatko

handatEdStevensStefan Jager
  • eudriscabrera-JavaNet
    eudriscabrera-JavaNet Member Posts: 214 Bronze Badge
    edited October 2018

Oracle have several programs of recognition for contributions to the community. Oracle ACEs, Java Champions and Oracle Goundbreaker Ambassadors (formely knows as Oracle Developer Champion program).

Oracle Goundbreaker Ambassadors program is a form of recognition for modern developers for their contributions to the developer community. The Oracle ACE program recognizes Oracle technical product experts; the Java Champions program celebrates Java enthusiasts and their expertise.

Top contributors of the Oracle Community Portal make significant contributions to the Oracle community and they can be nominated to be part of one of this program that best fit with their expertise.

The nomination is not automatic, someone can do the nomination filling the nomination form.

Best regards.

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 27,975 Gold Crown
    edited October 2018

Didn't we just rename this to "Oracle Developer Community" just a few months ago?  This has all the hallmarks of someone in middle-management, with a background in marketing and too much time on their hands.  Solutions in search of a problem.  Is it too late to vote "NO"?

This reminds me of the on-going disruption at any major brand supermarket (aka "grocery store").  They spend big bucks studying the layout of the store and customer shopping patterns, then re-arranging the entire store layout to the 'ideal' plan to maximize sales.  And no sooner is the re-arranging, remodeling finally completed and customers figure out where everything is again, than someone in corporate management decides this "ideal, optimized layout" is not really ideal or optimized after all.  So the whole cycle (and expense) starts over again.  And again.  And again.

I wonder how much study, thought, expense went into renaming the site "Oracle Developer Community", now being thrown out in favor of "Oracle Groundbreakers Community"? What will it be next year?  How about a real honest "Oracle Unpaid Support Community"?

John_K
  • Robert Angel
    Robert Angel Member Posts: 4,535 Bronze Crown
    edited October 2018

To quote our English bard; "a name is just a name, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"; in other words you can call it what you want it is what we have hear that matters.

Can I humbly suggest that it would be better if you allowed your leaderboard members to have a single gold ticket suggestion to the developers of their respective products - i.e. to submit on an annual basis a mail that would go direct to the product development team with key suggestions for improvements.

May I also suggest that we again see parity between this group and MOS, the recognition of MOS seems to be considerably higher than this group as is reflected by points and recognition awards and the like.

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 40,867 Red Diamond
    edited October 2018

Ewww!  No offence but "Oracle Groundbreakers"?  It sounds like we're a bunch of frackers.  It doesn't lend itself to anything remotely connected to the field of software/database development/support.

I can see how it may be trying to make the community fit in with "TopLiners" in style, but to be honest, I never really understood what "TopLiners" was meant to represent as it also seemed to relate to certain products and have technical questions asked on it.

This is something that should have been put out to the community for voting on.

KayKMarwimStefan Jager
  • BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 40,867 Red Diamond
    edited October 2018

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it...

Capture.JPG

Seriously... white text on a yellow background.

Are people supposed to be able to read that easily.

When I did User Interface Design at Uni back in the days, picking your colour combinations was stressed as being a very important part of it all.  White on Yellow ... I mean c'mon... wtf!

Dude!Stefan Jager
  • Marwim
    Marwim Member Posts: 3,620 Gold Trophy
    edited October 2018

Perhaps you can explain to me - as a non native speaker - what you mean with groundbreaker (my spellchecker doesn't recognize this word). I used my favourite translator but it doesn't know the word, only ground breaker or ground-breaker - a technical device (residual-current-operated circuit breaker). So this is now a site for electricians?

Even if I look up the adjective "groundbreaking" I wouldn't relate the translations with this community.

It isn't a good idea to break with conventions that work perfectly over the net like naming communities with boring names like forum or community.

Jarkko Turpeinen
  • Robert Angel
    edited October 2018

A lot of words, of which I would like to echo; - "If Oracle is really serious about improving this site for its members, then start by listening to them."

As a customer I never felt like Oracle listened, until I wanted to buy something.

As a partner I never felt like Oracle listened.

As an employee I never felt like Oracle listened.

As a board leader I never felt like Oracle listened.

Even when deliberately joining feedback groups I am not convinced on the means used to gather opinion.

I genuinely worry that Oracle is losing market share to lesser technologies, because of its internal structures and its customer interface not actually serving the customers' needs.

The boards themselves have lost a lot of usage, and I really don't think it is down to "look and feel".

• KayK
    KayK Member Posts: 1,635 Bronze Crown
    edited October 2018

Hallo Marim

my favorite translator https://www.deepl.com/translate  offers this:

Grundsteinlegung

Wegbereiter/in

Spatenstich

But the other way round wegbereiter show forerunners or pioneer.

still confused

Kay

• Marwim
    edited October 2018

My favourite from these is Spatenstich -> groundbreaking ceremony

So this means we are beginning from start each time?

KayK
  • John_K
    John_K Member Posts: 2,498 Gold Trophy
    edited October 2018

Absolutely awful. Looks like something the intern has done in their last few days to fill a bit of time.

• jgarry
    jgarry Member Posts: 13,842
    edited October 2018

There's a lot of new paradigms in development, so groundbreaking refers to the start of a new development.  In construction of major buildings or bridges, it is often accompanied by a ceremony.

From the database administrator point of view for enterprise apps, this is anathema.  You do not want creative means of doing accounting, or any other well structured or regulated application.  Beyond a certain amount of complexity, it takes time to evolve sensible and logical applications, especially with infrastructure evolution happening.  So you wind up with people saying "you don't need DBA's any more" "creative destruction is good" "devops" "agile" and so on, which only can apply to a small proportion of actual implementations.  As you add complexity, you exponentiate potential problems.

It's amazing anything works at all.  As we see everyday, a lot of it doesn't.  This may be acceptable in groundbreaking development, but not in actual implementation.

As others have noted, it makes for good marketing, which is not congruent with good practices.  You do need to sell a story to get things done, but that should not be confused with what you actually need to do from a software engineering perspective.

All these new paradigms aren't new.  They just demonstrate the inability to learn from the mistakes of the past.

EdStevensKayK
  • Marwim
    edited October 2018

So I understand that we (?) don't think "groundbreaking ceremony" is what is meant by the new nomenclature. This leaves this question unanswered.

• Robert Angel
    edited October 2018

Maybe the Zombie joke was more apt than we realise, the boards figures are dropping year by year (you might say the boards are dying?) and we continue coming, breaking ground with each morning and answering questions with the appearance of pseudo-life...

I have heard more than one OP express the opinion that he got better support here than through MOS and better advice than through his paid consultants, maybe that is something Oracle should be marketing?!

Christian Berg
  • Christian Berg
    Christian Berg Managing Director Member Posts: 9,413 Gold Crown
    edited October 2018
    Robert Angel wrote:I have heard more than one OP express the opinion that he got better support here than through MOS and better advice than through his paid consultants

This. So much this. Support is becoming abysmal and there is zero control over what integrators do.

Robert AngelJohn_K
  • Robert Angel
    edited October 2018

I get so much work picking up the pieces after major consultancies charging big ticket prices implement solutions I would be ashamed to put my name to.

MOS technicians with rare exception add very little value to just searching MOS.

• Marwim
    edited October 2018

The spaces except the Community Feedback are back to normal layout. Should we take this as a good sign?

• Christian Berg
    Christian Berg Managing Director Member Posts: 9,413 Gold Crown
    edited October 2018
    Robert Angel wrote:I get so much work picking up the pieces after major consultancies charging big ticket prices implement solutions I would be ashamed to put my name to.

That is what's hurting Oracle more in terms of market appreciation than any "missing feature" compared to competitors.