Forum Stats

• 3,814,831 Users
  • 2,258,918 Discussions
  • 7,892,860 Comments

Discussions

Signs of abandonment ...

EdStevens
EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown

I don't know about anyone else, but it's starting to look like the site is so broken it is being abandoned. I just went to 'general database discussions', (https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/categories/3063-general_questions1) and see that the latest posting is from Oct. 20. This used to be a VERY active area, with several new discussions per day. Now, nothing in a week.

I seem to recall reading a message a week or so ago, speculating about drop-off in traffic volumes since the new platform, and the response was that that was internal, confidential information.

Andrew WatkinsJerry CaseyErik Klein, NetSuite-Oracle

Answers

• Andrew Watkins
    Andrew Watkins Member Posts: 189 Bronze Badge

May be that was Oracle's plan....so people use only the official paid support and not to talk to each other!!

I just used the Solaris discussions groups but I have given up on it. Plus, I can't even find it now...

"I have 68 My Discussions in my dashboard" but when I go there it says no discussions..

Well, at least Oracle have given us a great example on "How Not To Do a Forum Migration"..

Andrew

• EdStevens-OC
    EdStevens-OC Member Posts: 55 Silver Trophy

May be that was Oracle's plan....so people use only the official paid support and not to talk to each other!!

Except the MOSC forums (which require a paid support contract) are on the same platform and suffer the same issues.

• PaulP
    PaulP Member Posts: 770 Bronze Badge

I know this might sound crazy but has Oracle ever though of developing it's own Forum software using an Oracle database with an APEX or JAVA front end? You'd assume there are some savvy programmers working at Oracle. I suppose it's the cost of paying developers to create software that has no license revenue in it...but hang on isn't SQLDeveloper built in Java and free? and isn't APEX web development platform free? You'd think Oracle have the talent and tools to build the best Forum software in the Universe?

• SFFD2
    SFFD2 Member Posts: 4 Blue Ribbon

I've come back after a decade only to told I have to be around longer to post a comment.