Forum Stats

• 3,751,247 Users
  • 2,250,337 Discussions
  • 7,867,360 Comments

Discussions

Platform performance

EdStevens
EdStevens Member Posts: 28,392 Gold Crown

Just got off the MOSC forum where I experienced some more maddening issues. Tried to post a message that had some rather lengthy content to be formatted as code, in three sections. First section went OK, but when I selected the second section, the paragraph icon was inactive to select the format menu. And while I was puzzling over that, this popped up:

I eventually gave up, deleted the yet-to-be-formatted content, posted what was left. And got a Captcha to confirm. First time I've seen that here,

And in another posting, with just a very modest amount of content formatted as code, I got the above, plus this, at the bottom left of the screen.

But no matter how many times I hit "Post Discussion", nothing happend. I had to cancel and start again.

Comments

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,392 Gold Crown

Just as a follow up, I just spent 30 minutes trying to write a simple post with a couple of blocks of tagged code. Kept getting the 'web page is slowing down your browser', After 10 minutes, I'm still waiting on it to respond to a click on 'post comment' button (it's running on a different machine than where I am writing this).

Andrew Watkins
  • JeanYves Bernier
    JeanYves Bernier Member Posts: 469 Bronze Badge

Hi, the same for me here about 30 min to post a thread, hereby the comment I put in my post

Note : it's really painful to post a thread in this new forum !!! it takes so much time...pasting code is also quite difficult (did not found a syntax option) and you are always clicking on "save draft" being afraid to lost all you have typed before..

Really not a success for me, and waiting for major improvements by Oracle.

• Paulzip
    Paulzip Member Posts: 8,409 Blue Diamond
    edited Dec 19, 2020 3:28AM

This bug STILL hasn't been addressed. In a thread with large number of replies and content, it just hangs for long periods as it auto-saves - which is frequently. It hammers the CPU too. It makes the site unusable, you simply cannot edit anything. It's poor implementation to be honest.

@Jim Finch-Oracle Any news on a fix for this? I'm sure many of us reported this in October time.

• Jim Finch-Oracle
    Jim Finch-Oracle Member Posts: 564 Employee

It's reported to the vendor and to the dev teams. They're tracking down fixes but due to the random nature of it, it's hard to duplicate/find the cause of. I will pass new reports on to them. Hopefully, we'll hear something after the holidays when everyone has full teams again.

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

• Paulzip

I'm surprised by that, as I see it pretty much every time I reply to a largish thread with quotes or code blocks.

Try replying to this thread

• Jim Finch-Oracle

I did and it went through instantly. That's the problem. We can't replicate it on a consistent basis.

I'm out in the country with the world's worst DSL, I'm on an old i5 and I don't get anything anyone describes in their bug reports.

However, I am passing it on to the folks who are in charge of fixing it.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• Paulzip

It will with a short "this is a test". You need to stay on the post page after writing several longish replies.

• mathguy
    mathguy Member Posts: 9,982 Gold Crown
    edited Dec 23, 2020 3:50AM

To replicate what we are reporting - go to that thread (for example) and pretend that you are thinking about what you are typing. After two or three medium-sized paragraphs (and, say, a few minutes it takes you to think about what you are typing - the typing itself is not where most of the time goes) you will see the site acting up.

From my own observation (even in that thread!) it's even worse if you go to your front-end to the database, copy some code or an output (or both), paste in your reply in the thread, format it... While you are going through these steps, at some point you get that warning and you wait and wait and wait and.....

This seems to happen more in the longer threads (which sometimes, alas, includes the more interesting ones), in the later replies. It seems that all the participants to such threads have the same issue, so you will likely be able to replicate too - if you behave the same way an actual thread participant does. (Which is almost never "type something in a few seconds and hit Post Comment" - I believe that's why you can't replicate.) What you CAN get away with, and some of us are actually doing that, but it's flat-out ridiculous, is to type the whole message (including code etc.) in an external editor, then copy everything and dump it in a Reply on this forum, and hit Post Comment as fast as we can. I did that in the thread Paul pointed you to; I won't do it again, I'll find a better forum (or I won't).

Best wishes, - mathguy

• Jim Finch-Oracle

Thanks for your suggestions, Mathguy. Great minds think alike! Myself and Leigh (my associate), had both already tested through the methodology you've suggested and cleaned up our mess (other than the one post we left for the devs to show exactly how much it took to replicate the issue). We've put it in the dev teams hands from here.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• Paulzip

Any news on resolution of this insidious issue @Jim Finch-Oracle ?

I find it almost incomprehensible that your devs / vendor and QA team can't reliably replicate this. As I experience it so often, as to make me not want to bother with the site. It's an extremely poor user experience to say the least, and I can understand why many of my friends have now dropped the site in favour of Stackoverflow.

When you are trying to type a sentence in a reply to a longish thread with quoted sections in, and you have to wait a minute every few sentences whilst the site causes your CPU to max out to 100%, or browser to say it is not responsive or has crashed whilst autosaving, you start to wonder "why I am bothering?"