• 3,751,256 Users
  • 2,250,338 Discussions
  • 7,867,361 Comments

Discussions

Platform performance

Comments

• Jim Finch-Oracle
    Jim Finch-Oracle Member Posts: 564 Employee

I don't have an update at this time, but I have escalated it again and will update when I have something.

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

• mathguy
    mathguy Member Posts: 9,982 Gold Crown

@Jim Finch-Oracle

After a pause of a few months, this issue is happening again (since this morning, U.S. Pacific time). "This issue" being very long waits while the website "saves" what I have typed so far.

One year's seeds, seven years' weeds... right?

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle
    Leigh.Burke-Oracle Senior Product Manager Posts: 261 Employee

@mathguy

As Jim noted we worked with our dev team and did discover one issue with some scripts that was causing a delay which we fixed, however nothing has changed recently with our scripts or anything else we can think of that would cause the delay again. I have reached out to our devs and they are not able to reproduce so they are working with the vendor directly to try and determine what might be causing issues.

Can you please provide any additional information - is this happening with all posts, only comments vs initial posts, only on posts that take more than x minutes to reply or that seem to be longer, have code blocks, anything that might help us reproduce and get to the bottom of the issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leigh

Community Experience Manager

• Paulzip
    Paulzip Member Posts: 8,409 Blue Diamond
    edited May 10, 2021 2:35PM

@Leigh.Burke-Oracle I'm seeing the same issue as @mathguy and it returned the other day, after it being far less frequent.

I'm convinced it's due to how quoted text functionality is implemented, which in my opinion is implemented quite idiotically. Try quoting a load of text and in a reply quote the previous reply (which contains the quote). Do that a few times with other replies, so you create recursive like quotes - which can be huge. Stick some code blocks in as well as this seems to exacerbate the issue.

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@Paulzip thank you for

based on what

said I'm trying to quote text in this reply and I will have our devs do some testing as well to see if we are able to reproduce. If the way I quoted text above is not what you are suggesting in

Please advise how you are going about it so I can try to do it your way. I just began typing and then clicked the quote icon under the comments I included.

Thanks,

Leigh

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@Paulzip I did not have any issues posting

so I'm wondering if I'm doing it differently or if there is a difference with the time of day that it is happening. Please let me know.

Thanks again,

Leigh

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 41,312 Red Diamond

Well, as I'm typing replies (using Chrome browser), I keep on getting delays it the browser popping up this...

to the point it's becoming impossible to type. Seems to start happening on replies after it's done it's first saving of the draft. Refreshing the page sometimes seems to bring it back for a bit, but then it starts happening again.

• mathguy
    mathguy Member Posts: 9,982 Gold Crown

@Leigh.Burke-Oracle

I don't mean to be rude, but... this is not the first or second or third or fourth ... issue that your heaviest users are reporting. We are all reporting the same issues, and it seems that we all use different environments (OS, browser, etc.)

Yet each time the answer from you and from your colleagues is that you are not able to reproduce the problem. But after more work (especially after we send you a lot more information) they are not only able to find the problem, they are even able to fix it.

Doesn't this suggest that your developers should do a better job at trying to reproduce our problems? It feels to me that each time we are asked to do a good chunk of their job. I, for one, am done with that.

Incidentally, you said "nothing has changed" on your end. That is demonstrably not the case. There used to be a link to the "current space" (such as SQL & PL/SQL) at the end of a thread, not just at the top of the page. That has now disappeared (after we had a long fight initially, to have it added) - and that happened, if I am not mistaken, exactly when the long delays for saving started happening again. Perhaps the two are not related, but "nothing has changed" can't be true.

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@BluShadow thanks for the screenshot - I'm going to pass along to our devs to see if they can determine the cause. since I'm using Chrome as well and not receiving these errors.

Thanks again,

Leigh

• Leigh.Burke-Oracle

@mathguy I apologize for the confusion - I meant nothing had changed with the specific scripts that were previously causing the issue.

I understand your frustration with the reproduction issues, however please note we have numerous users externally and internally that are not experiencing the issues and we have numerous internal team members are in the system replying to comments in a variety of ways that are not experiencing the issue. Personally my process is to reach out and see if anyone else internally is experiencing the issues if I am not able to reproduce the issue myself, so I can work with the internal member to easily video/document the issues. If we don't have anyone internally experiencing the issue I send it directly to our developers to try and see if they are able to reproduce, if we are still not able to reproduce I do reach back out to see if the person reporting the issue is able to provide any more context for our testing, as sometimes the initial report is very general, but once we start talking we discover it is only occurs when certain actions are taken or sometimes it's when actions are done in a specific order.

Thank you for working with us to help diagnose the previous issues and moving forward I will work with others to address this current issue.

Thank you,

Leigh