Forum Stats

• 3,741,014 Users
  • 2,248,356 Discussions
  • 7,861,580 Comments

Discussions

Invisible posts?

mathguy
mathguy Member Posts: 9,836 Gold Crown

Please take a look at this: https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/comment/16782055#Comment_16782055

Look at the timestamps of the replies. I posted a reply at 9:15 AM PST on January 20 (you will have to hunt for it a bit, since timestamps are in local time zone; anyway, it is NOW the fifth reply in the thread).

At the time I posted it, and up to at least 15 minutes later, from my system I could only see the first two replies, not the third and the fourth; my reply appeared as the third reply in the thread.

In the meantime, it seems that replies were merged from different servers, and there appear to be two more replies that were posted before mine, but which did not show up on my end even after I posted my EDIT. Only now do I see all the replies.

What is going on with this? The old platform had the same issue at one time (years ago), but it was fixed. This new platform did NOT have this problem initially; what changes were made, that are resulting in this behavior? And, more importantly, can this be fixed? It's pretty annoying to look back later and to find that, for example, the original poster had already answered questions I asked in a "later" reply - simply because that post from the OP wasn't visible TO ME for quite some time even after I posted mine.

Comments

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 37,240 Red Diamond

Hm, it's kind of hard to follow this until you run into this thing yourself, isn't it?

Looking at the two threads now just shows all answers in perfect order (sorted after 'a' time).

Timo

• mathguy

I believe the "people who know" may know what I am describing, and they may even have a way to compare timestamps on posts to "event timestamps", assuming events such as merging threads are logged. Even if they aren't logged as a normal practice, they may choose to (begin to) do so for debugging purposes.

The purpose of posting this was to get the question into the hands of the "people who know". Perhaps Jim (or whoever monitors this space now) needs to hear from more users before they pass it on; I can let my peers know that if they encounter this issue, they should raise their hand?

• Jim Finch-Oracle
    Jim Finch-Oracle Member Posts: 564 Employee

Not sure who "people who know" are these days, but I've escalated your concerns and we'll open a ticket.

Like Timo and others, I can't duplicate your concerns. So I will pass it on to the devs and see what they can do.

Best,

Jim Finch

Community Experience Manager

System Admin

• mathguy

@Jim Finch-Oracle

I was hoping you would. That is, that you would know who the "people who know" are. I thought that is your role - to facilitate the communication between "us" (users of the platform) and "them".

I don't believe in new symptoms appearing spontaneously. This hasn't been an issue until a few days ago. Which means that something has changed, and someone - perhaps those who made the change - would be able to understand what the symptom is, even if they didn't expect it. Exactly the same thing happened a few years ago on the old platform; it took a bit of time, but it was eventually diagnosed, and then fixed.

I don't think I am imagining things, since I saw the same thing happen twice, in different threads, one day apart. The second time I paid close attention to make sure it wasn't just me not noticing the other replies. All I can do to produce evidence is to take snapshots of what is visible on my screen, and then if later more replies appear earlier in a thread, take a second snapshot and post both here. I will do that if I can; I participate a lot less on the forum than I used to, but when I do, I will take screenshots (I started doing so this morning), hoping that this can help. But, as I said, honestly I was hoping that "people who know" would be able to understand the symptom, and the cause (if not the cure), even without that.

Thank you for your help! - mathguy

• Jim Finch-Oracle

Thank you for passing on that information. This is not a release week, so nothing has changed on the back end. If you encounter it again and post your screen shots, I'll update the ticket.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• mathguy

@Jim Finch-Oracle

Here is an example. The difference is only one minute, but it illustrates what I reported.

I answered a question, and after I posted my answer, I took a screenshot of the thread - it shows my answer as the first answer to the question.

I looked again later, and there is an earlier post - my answer now shows, correctly, as the second answer in the thread.

As an aside: in your last post here, you said "this is not a release week, so nothing has changed on the back end". While I have no reason to doubt the first part, I doubt the second part quite strongly. If you meant to say "nothing was SUPPOSED TO CHANGE", I would have no problem with that. "NOTHING HAS CHANGED" - I just don't believe that. This issue seems to happen quite regularly since I first saw it; I didn't send a screenshot sooner because a couple times I forgot to take the first screenshot. If the problem had been older than when I reported it, I would have seen it before, and I didn't.

So, the screenshots:

After I posted my answer (my reply seems to be the first one)

And what it looks like some time later; notice that there was, in fact, an earlier reply, which however didn't show up in the first screenshot.

• Jim Finch-Oracle
    edited Jan 29, 2021 2:54PM

Thank you for posting them. I will add them to the escalation.

Follow up: The first post was posted at 1:23PM from the screen shot. Yours was posted at 1:24PM, had you opened the reply window prior to 1:24PM?

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin

• mathguy

Yes, I must have opened the reply window around 1:10 PM. It is also quite likely that I had opened my reply window before the other poster (Mr. Kulash) did, even though his reply was posted one minute before mine; I wrote quite a bit more than he did.

However, in the other instances (which I reported in the original post in this thread), at least on two occasions it turned out that one or more replies were already posted before I ever opened my reply window - yet they weren't visible even 15 minutes after I posted my reply (and after I navigated to other threads and then back to "that" thread). Something like this: posting my answer at 9:15 AM and checking again at 9:30 AM, only two replies preceding mine were showing in the thread; yet later, there were four replies earlier than mine.

Best, - mathguy

• Jim Finch-Oracle

Thanks, just wanted to verify so I can clarify the ticket.

Best,

Jim Finch

System Admin