- 5.4K All Categories
- 15 Introduce Yourself!
- 456 Community Feedback - NEW! (No Product Questions)
- 108 General Community Platform Concerns/Kudos/Feedback
- 83 Community Platform Bug Reports
- 86 How Do I Use the Community?
- 65 Where is the...? (Community Platform Locations)
- 18 Ideas and Suggestions for the Community Platform
- 71 Personal Document & Blog Archive
- 5 Community Programs
- 5 Get-Togethers
- 4.8K Certification Community
- 4.7K Certification Community Discussions
- 22 Oracle Certified Master Profiles
- 31 Oracle Database 12c Administrator Certified Master Profiles
- 83 Visual Builder Cloud Service
The Basics for an Oracle Forms Developer
Hi, apologies, but I am a complete VBCS novice, in fact calling me a novice would be a promotion!
So, I've built many applications using Oracle Forms in the past and now want to learn how to develop using VBCS, with very little knowledge of anything web/cloud related!
I've searched Google, but I'm just not getting it, so hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction to get me started.
I have worked through the Oracle Visual Builder Get Started Web Application Workshop.
Background: Currently, I am supporting an Oracle application that I was involved in developing. This is primarily a Data Warehouse running on a clients servers and using Oracle 19c, so nothing to do with the Cloud. In this app are a few tables that are maintained using Oracle Forms 12c screens. What I would like to do is replicate the simplest of these screens in VBCS, but I have so many questions due to my lack of VB knowledge.
The application therefore needs to be based on a single database table in a database that is NOT in the cloud. It needs to be able to query, insert, update and delete data in that database table.
The workshop and all other tutorials I've looked at talk about Business Objects, which appear to be tables built on the fly by VB in a cloud database. I have been unable to find any examples of how to build a VB app based on an Oracle table that already exists and that isn't in the cloud.
I'm assuming I will have to do something like:
- Build a stored database package to manipulate the table data (query, insert, update, delete). These are essentially API's, possibly one API procedure for each action?
- Define a REST service for each database procedure? (never done this, so need to figure it out. I've seen ORDS mentioned, but don't know what this is or if it works with VB). I also believe my company uses Node JS as a layer for calling the API's, so it would seem this is the way to go, but I don't really know what this means!
- Build a VB application that somehow calls these REST services.
Again, apologies for my complete and utter ignorance, but I have to start somewhere and any pointers/guidance you could give will help me move forward.