4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2009 7:20 AM by Omar M. Sawalhah RSS

Start vm linux Guests in single-user mode

Omar M. Sawalhah
      Hi -
      I have OBIEE vm template installed and everything is OK, I forgot the roor password for this guest, (ovsroot) is not working I think I've changed it. One option is to start this guest in single-user mode, I tried but you can't see the console until the system is starting services which is a late phase to run linux single command on boot prompt. Please advice how can change my root password using single-user mode.

thanks in advance
      Omar
        • 1. Re: Start vm linux Guests in single-user mode
          Avi Miller-Oracle
          user11995466 wrote:
          Please advice how can change my root password using single-user mode.
          First, shutdown the guest from the VM Manager. Then, log into Dom0 and change directory to the /OVS/running_pool/XX_guestName directory. There, run the following command:
           # xm create -c vm.cfg 
          The -c option attaches you immediately to the console. You'll see the GRUB boot menu and you'll be able to change the kernel boot parameters as usual. You'll want to add single console=xvc0 so that you startup in single user mode and the console is visible.
          • 2. Re: Start vm linux Guests in single-user mode
            Omar M Sawalhah
            hi-
            Sorry, but I am not sure I am getting this right, where should I add 'single console=xvc0', if you mean the guest, as I mentioned in my post I don't know the root password and I can't logon. please kindly if you can add more detailed steps.

thanks
            Omar
            • 3. Re: Start vm linux Guests in single-user mode
              Avi Miller-Oracle
              Omar M Sawalhah wrote:
              Sorry, but I am not sure I am getting this right, where should I add 'single console=xvc0', if you mean the guest, as I mentioned in my post I don't know the root password and I can't logon. please kindly if you can add more detailed steps.
              When you boot your guest using xm create -c vm.cfg, it will immediately connect you to the console of the guest. That will show you the GRUB boot menu. You then need to edit the kernel boot line exactly the same way you would a physical server. In order to boot into single-user mode, you need to add the parameter single to the boot line. Along with that parameter, you also need console=xvc0 so that the guest uses the connected console to show you the boot process and allows you access to the single-user shell. If you do not use this parameter, you'll need to determine the VNC port used by the guest and used VNC to connect to the console instead.
              • 4. Re: Start vm linux Guests in single-user mode
                Omar M. Sawalhah
                Thanks Avi,
                It is ok now and I managed to login to my guest with new root password.

Omar