1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2012 12:23 AM by 839828 RSS

EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic

paata_lom
      Hi team.
      It there any deadline or progress on this line ?
      I would be greatly appreciated to see ejb 3.1 and/or jpa 2.0 support into weblogic.
      Glassfish v3 done already these technology support.

Georgia.
        • 1. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
          Anwilson-Oracle
          Hi Paata,

JPA2.0 implementation on Weblogic can be expected with next PatchSet (PS2). implementation of EJB3.1 will be later than PS2/PS3.
          I cannot comment on the dates, my apologies for this.

Regards,
          Wilson.
          • 2. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
            dvohra21
            Please refer Running JPA 2.0 API on WebLogic 10.3
            http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/JPA_2.0/weblogic#Running_JPA_2.0_API_on_WebLogic_10.3

Edited by: dvohra16 on Jan 10, 2010 1:40 PM
            • 3. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
              Steve Button-Oracle
              JPA2.0 implementation on Weblogic can be expected with next PatchSet (PS2)
              Sorry, I need to correct this statement -- Oracle will not be adding JPA 2.0 support to WebLogic Server 11g R1 in the next scheduled patchset (PS2) as stated above.

In PS2 we have incorporated TopLink (11g R1) as a fully integrated JPA provider with WebLogic Server, in addition to the existing Kodo/OpenJPA support we have. This allows TopLink to be configured and used as the default JPA provider for a given domain, if desired.

WebLogic Server will provide support for EJB 3.1/JPA 2.0 in a future release that is currently under development, but not with PS2.

Steve Button
              WLS Product Management
              • 4. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
                In PS2 we have incorporated TopLink (11g R1) as a fully integrated JPA provider with WebLogic Server
                Which version of TopLink/EclipseLink has been integrated ?
                in addition to the existing Kodo/OpenJPA support we have
                Which one do you advise to use: TopLink/EclipseLink, Kodo or OpenJPA ?

Edited by: user12219863 on Feb 23, 2010 5:34 AM
                • 5. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
                  dvohra21
                  Please refer
                  JPA 2.0 and Oracle Weblogic 10.3.2.0 (11g)
                  http://blog.eisele.net/2010/01/jpa-20-and-oracle-weblogic-10320-11g.html
                  • 6. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
                    paata_lom
                    ok, how i understand JPA 2.0 support in weblogic already solved.

and what about ejb 3.1 ?

Steve Button-Oracle
                      WLS 11g R1 PS2 (10.3.3) has been released and is now available on OTN.

There are a couple of changes to be aware of relating to this topic:

1. We have updated the version of EclipseLink to 2.0.2 in this release. We still expose only the JPA 1.0 API via WLS, so WLS 11g R1 PS still only supports JPA 1.0 despite EclipseLink 2.0 being JPA 2.0 compatible. There are a few things you can do from an application managed context to exercise EclipseLink 2.0 features, but as far as JPA goes, WLS 11g R1 PS2 still is JPA 1.0 only. We are moving quite carefully here so as to not cause any disruptions to existing deployed applications using JPA 1.0. We plan to provide full JPA 2.0 support in a future patchset.

2. We have integrated EclipseLink more fully with WLS in this release. Now you can specify a default JPA provider (via a JPAMBean) at the domain level, enabling you to switch the default from Kodo/OpenJPA to EclipseLink if you wish. This means that if no <provider> class is specified in persistence.xml, the setting from the domain level will be applied.

3. We have also integrated EclipseLink logging into WLS so you can set respective log levels for EclipseLink, or the existing WLS JPA categories, and the messages will be captured in the WLS logging system.'

We would advise you to use EclipseLink as that is our stated strategic direction for JPA.

-steve-
                      • 8. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
                        paata_lom
                        hi Steve,
                        Thank you very much for your helpful post.
                        does WLS 11g R1 PS2 (10.3.3) supports EJB 3.1 ?

EJB 3.1 has very good features : Singleton Beans, Schedulers, No Local Interface and so on....

I'll be greatly appreciated to see it into WLS.

Steve, I don't know how much freedom you have to say (or if you even know), but is there any ballpark you can give on when the JPA 2.0 patchset will come out? It doesn't have to be very specific. I'm just curious if we're talking a month or two or something much longer.

Thanks!
                          -Brian
                          • 10. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
                            Steve Button-Oracle
                            gday Brian --

I am somewhat restricted in what I can say publicly.

But let me try work through some thoughts.

1. We have the actual JPA 2.0 implementation via EclipseLink 2.0.2 in WLS PS2, so that element of the work in already in place and released.
                            2. The next step will be to expose the JPA 2.0 API on WLS. We have tested this thoroughly on the WLS version we are working that follows PS2 and are confident that we can make the change with no impact to existing JPA 1.0 applications.
                            3. PS2 has just been released to OTN, say what you might call beginning of May.
                            4. The next release vehicle will presumably be PS3.
                            5. The timeframe between PS1 (Nov 09) and PS2 (May 10) based on the public OTN postings of the software, was around 6 months.

The aboive is not a commitment to deliver JPA 2.0 nor is it the promise of any specific timeframe.

But if you thought along those lines, it'd probably give you something you may be able to use to ballpark a timeframe.

-steve-
                            • 11. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
                              Steve Button-Oracle
                              paata_lom wrote:
                              hi Steve,
                              Thank you very much for your helpful post.
                              does WLS 11g R1 PS2 (10.3.3) supports EJB 3.1 ?

EJB 3.1 has very good features : Singleton Beans, Schedulers, No Local Interface and so on....

I'll be greatly appreciated to see it into WLS.
                              Hi Paata -- we're very excited by what EJB 3.1 offers as well. We are working hard on the implementation, but unfortunately WLS 11g R1 PS2 doesn't support EJB 3.1. We will support it in a future release along with the other Java EE 6 specs we are working on.

In the meantime, if you are enthused by what Java EE 6 and EJB 3.1 in particular offers for developers, our new sibling GlassFish v3 provides a full Java EE 6 environment for you to start developing and running with. NetBeans 6.8 also has some nice support for the new Java EE 6 APIs that are well worth checking out.

-steve-
                              • 12. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
                                paata_lom
                                Hi Steve,
                                I've billing system(EJB3) running on jboss as.
                                We're planning to move from jboss to WLS for some reasons.
                                There we have used ejb 3.0. In this version there is not singleton beans.
                                And for workaround we use JBoss EJB extensions - "Singleton MBeans".
                                Singleton Mbeans helped us so much, because we take 90% of DB (small Configuration tables) into memory which decrease serious round trips to database.
                                Now we want to migrate on WLS.
                                Is there anything like "Singleton Mbeans" ??
                                I think it will be more efficient and accurate to think about ejb 3.1(Singleton beans).

Yes we know that glassfish is fully supports java EE 6. We hadn't any problem into examples.
                                But we don't want to migrate from JBoss to glassfish and then to WLS.

We're waiting for you.
                                I'll be happy to see ejb 3.1 into WLS.

Hi, Steve:

Has there been any update on EJB 3.1 for WebLogic?
                                  • 14. Re: EJB 3.1 and/or JPA 2.0 support in weblogic
                                    dvohra21
                                    EJB 3.1 may be used with Glassfish server.
                                    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19798-01/821-1754/gjlde/index.html
                                    1 2 Previous Next