This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 11:41 PM by Gary Graham RSS

sql developer fails to launch

453405 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have installed SQL developer ( sqldeveloper64-2.1.0.63.73-no-jre) on windows 7 home premium. As this is with no jre i had to point to the location of java.exe file. which is at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_17\bin directory. when I launch SQl Developer it throws an error like

*" unable to launch java virtual machine located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_17\bin\msvcr71.dll".*

any solution on this problem please.

thanks
  • 1. Re: sql developer fails to launch
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    Did you see if Windows 7 is supported?
    Windows 7 has only one thing going for it ... they changed the name from Vista II.

If you can not get a real operating system XP or Linux then uninstall and download the full version with its own JVM.

I have to confess I do not understand anyone having Windows 7. Once we got past the contrived marketing-hyperbole
    there hasn't been real-world good experience reported by anyone doing serious work that has made it to my desk.
  • 2. Re: sql developer fails to launch
    Dermot ONeill Journeyer
    Hi Mohan,

You have downloaded the 64bit version of SQL Developer.
    To use this you require the 64bit JDK (on a 64 OS, with 64bit CPU).
    C:\Program Files (x86)\... are 32 bit programs.

Download the 64bit JDK which should install into C:\Program Files\...

Regards,
    Dermot.
    SQL Developer Team
  • 3. Re: sql developer fails to launch
    453405 Newbie
    thanks Oneill

It worked when i followed your instructions.
  • 4. Re: sql developer fails to launch
    633092 Newbie
    Hi
    I am having the same problem, but I havent been able to find the jdk for 64 bits, could you please tell me in what web page you downloaded it?
    Thanks for your help

Danilo
  • 5. Re: sql developer fails to launch
    -K- Guru
    sun.com
    Any search engine like Google can help you find anything.

Regards,
    K.
  • 6. Re: sql developer fails to launch
    747976 Newbie
    The version of SQL Developer actually depends on the version of Java you are running, not the version of Windows. For example, I run Windows 7 64-bit, but for compatibility with some other programs that I use, I run standard 32-bit Java. The 32-bit version of SQL Developer runs just fine on my computer, but the 64-bit version of SQL Developer does not. The 64-bit version of SQL Developer gives me the error message indicated by the original post.
  • 7. Re: sql developer fails to launch
    allbory Newbie
    It's easy question.

1. find msvcr71.dll from google.
    2. copy and paste to C:\windows\system32
    3. run again.

I use Windows7 professional, JAVA 1.6, Sql developer 2.1.0.63(JRE included)
    It works perfectly.
  • 8. Re: sql developer fails to launch
    user5494408 Newbie
    Guys, May be a old post.
    But if some1 comes accross this again : here are the solutions :

http://bigsnowball.com/content/fixing-sqldeveloper-msvcr71dll-not-found-error

http://blog.2dev.com/2011/02/oracle-sql-developer-unable-to-locate-component/
  • 9. Re: sql developer fails to launch
    Gary Graham Expert
    Thanks for posting both solutions. A slight variation on the second solution is what I usually recommend: copy the DLL to the directory containing the sqldeveloper.conf file, where the lower-level exe's are located rather than the top-level exe's directory.

The first solution is OK for those willing to modify the Windows registry, and who keep only one release of SQL Developer installed at any given time. If you have two or more, use the second solution as needed.

Thanks,
    Gary

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points