This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2011 7:07 AM by rukbat RSS

Journals in HFM...

743669 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi friends I am learning hfm...i have studied Hfm admin guide but i am not able to get what is journals in hfm....please help me to find the significance of journal please i need it badly.............
thanking you and regards
Mayank
  • 1. Re: Journals in HFM...
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Hyperion documentation can be found here - http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/epm.html

Are you referring to "journal" in a financial sense ?

Srini
  • 2. Re: Journals in HFM...
    749679 Newbie
    Plz first try to understand Journals in terms of accounting. Concept is same in HFM.
  • 3. Re: Journals in HFM...
    809005 Newbie
    Hi Mayank,

Journals are used to enter adjustment entries into HFM application. When user eneter data, he enters it at Entity Currency Value dimension. Later, when he wants to make any changes to some particular account/ entity amounts etc. He does it through entering journals. For ex. When user entered data for 10 accounts at Entity Currency Value. Out of those he entered one data wrong as 1000 instead of 10000. Now since he needs to increase that value by 9000 he will pass a journal for 9000 into same account dimension member.

Understanding accounting concept of journal will help you to use Journal function in HFM efficiently.
  • 4. Re: Journals in HFM...
    828145 Newbie
    Hi Jamal,

Please clarify me in Journal adj concept in HFM.

When we directly do the adjustments in the HFM data, these adjustments will not be recorded in the transaction systems like SAP or Oracle or Tally.

In this case original source data will be mismatched with the HFM data

Please clarify me if am wrong.
  • 5. Re: Journals in HFM...
    809005 Newbie
    Yes you are right in what you are saying. But from consolidation perspective, finalisation of accounts and passing the year end entries have be done in a very very short span of time. Hence initially those Journals are passed in HFM. Later on same entries are also passed in source transaction systems. Till that time your transaction and HFM data will not match but that will be only for a very short span of time. Its responsibility of consolidation users to ensure that all JVs which are passing in HFM are also reflected in source.

Hope it helps.
    AJ
  • 6. Re: Journals in HFM...
    orafad Oracle ACE
    Please, read the forum headline. "+Use this forum to report broken links or general feedback about Oracle documentation.+"

So, discussing HFM is clearly off topic.

Hyperion related forums may be found here: http://forums.oracle.com/forums/category.jspa?categoryID=146
  • 7. Re: Journals in HFM...
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    ... and since this thread was originally from a year ago,
    ... then this long dead zombie was resurrected four months ago,
    ... then resurrected yet again...

It is now locked to prevent it from becoming a reincarnation of
    George A. Romero's "Dawn of the Dead".

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points