8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2010 2:32 AM by 683967 RSS

report issue :Invalid set of rows requested, the source data of the report

Dears;

I use the following code to make a search after displaying my report :
      SELECT s.PROC_NAME FROM SOFT_PROC s,PROC_SERVERS p,ALIAS a WHERE a.ALIAS_SERVERNAME=:P46_SERVER and a.ALIAS_NAME=p.ALIAS_NAME and p.PROC_ID=s.PROC_ID and  upper(s.proc_name ) like DECODE (:p46_search, NULL,'%', UPPER ('%' || :p46_search || '%'))
      The first display is ok, and the search works sometimes well sometimes not.
      I get this error :

Invalid set of rows requested, the source data of the report has been modified.
      reset pagination

thx in advance for ur help
        • 1. Re: report issue :Invalid set of rows requested, the source data of the report
          Denes Kubicek
          I suppose you are running your search using a button ('SEARCH' or similar). Create a conditional branching with the lowest sequence and check the "reset pagination" checkbox. The behaviour you have is occuring when you get more rows you can display and you paginate through your report. After that you start a new search and it returns less rows than your current pagination requires.

Denes Kubicek
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          http://deneskubicek.blogspot.com/
          http://www.opal-consulting.de/training
          http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=31517:1
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: report issue :Invalid set of rows requested, the source data of the report
            Denes,

i don't understand this part of your answer or i can say how to do :
            branching with the lowest sequence 
            thx.
            celio
            • 3. Re: report issue :Invalid set of rows requested, the source data of the report
              Hello Celio,

This is the most common scenario that results in this message: Your report runs the initial search, no problem. Then you page forward say three pages. Then you specify a new search that returns less than three pages worth of rows and you get the message. This is because without resetting the pagination, ApEx still wants to display page three of the set but there is no longer a third page.

In your branch that redisplays the report page after clicking "search", you need to reset pagination so that ApEx will start again at the beginning of the set of rows.

FYI - Another common gotcha with a report and form pair is that developers forget to reset pagination after a delete process before re-displaying the report. Let's say you have a result set of two pages plus one row on a third page. The user goes to the third page, brings up that single row and deletes it. If you don't reset pagination before re-displaying the report, you'll also get the message. This is because ApEx wants to go back to the third page but can't because the only row that was on that page is now gone.

Hope this helps,
              John
              • 4. Re: report issue :Invalid set of rows requested, the source data of the report
                John,

I have created a branch with and the check box 'reset paginaton' is well check but i still have the same issue.

What i don't understang is that it could works fine for 20 search and then give the error of sometime at the first time a get the error.

Maybe what i have'nt done is the branching with " lowest sequence" as Denes said. But i don't know what mean "lower sequence".

Could someone help me?

Thanks
                Celio
                • 5. Re: report issue :Invalid set of rows requested, the source data of the report
                  Hi Celio,

What Denes is referring to is that you want to be sure your branch is executed. The branches are evaluated in order by sequence; the first one that meets any condition specified will be executed and the rest will be ignored. Is there perhaps another branch being executed first, resulting in this branch not being executed when you expect or maybe not being executed at all?

Hope this helps,
                  John
                  • 6. Re: report issue :Invalid set of rows requested, the source data of the report
                    John,
                    yes i have 3 branches on my page the page itself.
                    I delete all to keep only branch related to my serach button, then i see if i don't press search button but enter i get an error so create a new branch to avoid this error.

thx for ur help
                    • 7. Re: report issue :Invalid set of rows requested, the source data of the report
                      Ah, I think we may be getting somewhere Celio.

1) Ignore the enter-key issue for a moment and focus just on your branch dedicated to the Search button. Using just the Search button, does the application work properly now? For example - no matter how many pages into the report you scroll to, if you specify a new search condition and click Search, it goes back to page one of the report and doesn't display the 'invalid page' message?

2) If #1 works ok, then you've solved the pagination problem. Now for the enter-key issue. I assume you specified your search condition field as a 'text field - submit when enter pressed'? If so, all you need to do now is add an unconditional branch at the highest sequence (say, 999), branching back to your report page and resetting pagination. The reason you're getting the error is that, with no other branches to execute besides the Search-key branch, ApEx doesn't know what to do. Putting a 'catch-all' unconditional branch at the highest sequence is a typical best-practice I use to prevent a 'page provided no page to branch to' if another developer comes along and adds a new branch later. This way, there will always be something to catch when none of the conditions are met.

Hope this helps,
                      John
                      • 8. Re: report issue :Invalid set of rows requested, the source data of the report
                        hi John,
                        before all thanks u very much.

1) i create a branch with lowest sequence ( sequence 10) and all works fine i don't have any more the error page 'invalid set of rows'.

2) an other branch has been created for the "enter" and works fine now.

Thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

celio