5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 1:11 PM by EdStevens

Audit vs db performance

ski123
      Oracle 10g. Database auditing questions:

1. If we do DB level (audit_trail=DB or DB_extended) auditing, Does this impact database performance?

2. If we do fine-grained auditing by adding policy, does this also impact db performance?

The reason is that we have an application which requires to audit user's documents' activities such as when to change, where, etc...I think if we use DB level auditing or adding policy auditing, it will impact db performance. I suggest to do application level auditing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

S.
        • 1. Re: Audit vs db performance
          sb92075
          1. If we do DB level (audit_trail=DB or DB_extended) auditing, Does this impact database performance?
          Yes
          2. If we do fine-grained auditing by adding policy, does this also impact db performance?
          Yes

anything that does any work on the system "impacts performance", because every system has finite limitations.

The real question is not "impact" but "measurable negative impact".
          • 2. Re: Audit vs db performance
            Pavan Kumar
            Hi,

If you go for either of the Operations - Auditing is an extra cost or extra data which is carried out during your normal transactions - so extra information is logged in - ofcourse slight performance impact will exists.

- Pavan Kumar N
            Oracle 9i/10g - OCP
            http://oracleinternals.blogspot.com/
            • 3. Re: Audit vs db performance
              ski123
              Thanks for the answers. Yes, we have lots of transactions. So what should I suggest? Because my user wants to build audit mechanism. I want to suggest we should use application level auditing rather than db level auditing to minimum impact db performance. I mean, db can do some auditing but not all of them, right?

Any suggestions?

S.
              • 4. Re: Audit vs db performance
                Pavan Kumar
                Hi,

I did not understood Application Auditing - what level you will store the information and where - you mean OS level ??

I suggest go for DB Auditing - instead of Application Auditing - but take the accurate - what things you need to audit specific things - make your job easy instead of going for whole DB or Schemas.

- Pavan Kumar N
                Oracle 9i/10g - OCP
                http://oracleinternals.blogspot.com/
                • 5. Re: Audit vs db performance
                  EdStevens
                  ski123 wrote:
                  Thanks for the answers. Yes, we have lots of transactions. So what should I suggest? Because my user wants to build audit mechanism. I want to suggest we should use application level auditing rather than db level auditing to minimum impact db performance. I mean, db can do some auditing but not all of them, right?

Any suggestions?

S.
                  Developers always want to do everything in their code. If you go that route, how do you audit things that happen outside of the application's code? Suppose someone connects with sqlplus, or Toad, or .., or ..,