4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2010 2:03 PM by user55762 RSS

How to reimport relational table objects into RPD physical layer...

I am new to OBIEE. I am not sure how to reimport relational database tables into physical layer whenever the base database table structure changes.

How do I configure the ODBC or OCI 10G/11G connections on my computer so I can reimport objects into RPD on remote server.

I would appreciate it if you can give step by step instructions
      Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: How to reimport relational table objects into RPD physical layer...
          Hello -

You can re-import a table to the Physical Layer the exact same way that you would import the table for the first time:

1) Click File > Import > From Database...
          2) Select your data source connections
          3) Choose your table you wish to reimport

The system will warn you that you will overwrite the existing table and may lose information. The information you would lose is any discrepencies in the physical layer that are no longer existing in the actual database table. However, logical columns will NOT be overwritten.

Alternately, if it is a minor change to the table (say a column name change, or one additional column added), you can also manually add the column

1) Right Click on the already imported table in the presentation layer and select New Object > Physical Column...
          2) Name the column and provide the proper data type

The column now exists in the physical layer and will be properly associated with the new column in the database, assuming the same column name was attributed. You WILL have to drag this new column forward to the logical layer and presentation layer, as this will not be automatically done.

I hope this answers your question. If you found this helpful, please assign points!

Regards,
          Jason
          • 2. Re: How to reimport relational table objects into RPD physical layer...
            Jason,

Thank you!! That helped clear out my doubt. But could you also tell me how to set up the odbc connection to do re import objects from the relational database?
            • 3. Re: How to reimport relational table objects into RPD physical layer...
              Hello -

I don't mind helping with ODBC connections, but since that is a separate issue would you mind please closing out this issue as correct and posting in a separate thread? This will make it easier for other users to search for accurate answers to their questions when reviewing posts and keep issues separated.

To close out an issue, you can select the "correct" button on the thread next to the correct post.

Thanks so much, and see you on the other post!

Regards,
              Jason
              • 4. Re: How to reimport relational table objects into RPD physical layer...
                user55762
                I've imported EBusiness objects for the GL schema into OBIEE, just as described in this answer above.

The tables are there but there are no constraints. Is this usual?

I have the index & constraints checked on the import screen.
                Should I also be able to see the constraints and indexes for the physical import or do these have to be created manually after importing the tables. If so, I have to wonder why the check box option for indexes and constraints on the import screen.