1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2010 11:05 AM by 723876 RSS

Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates

I've successfully installed the HCM Oracle VM templates and peopletools 8.50 (special thanks to Nicolas Gasparotto for the help)

i'm a beginner in the peoplesoft world and i want to setup a learning environment with peoplesoft CRM module instead of HCM module in the OVS template.

can i keep App/Batch and PIA templates from HCM and connect it to a traditional, non-virtual database instance with PeopleSoft CRM 9.1 application software ?

if not what can you suggest ?

thank you in advance.
        • 1. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
          Nicolas.Gasparotto
          Do you want to use the App/Batch server and PIA server for a CRM instance installed on a remote server ?
          Yes, you can do that, as long as you have a proper CRM database instance available, you can easily reuse the PSOVM appserver/batch/pia server to connect to.
          You have to insert your database entry in +/etc/tnsnames.ora+ onto the Apps/Batch server, create a new domain for your CRM database, and create a new webserver (or a new web domain to use the same webserver instance) pointed to the new created appserver domain.
          The only issue I can see so far, you'll miss some CRM specific sqr since there are not installed onto the PSOVM appserver devlivered for HR only. If you really need them, you could probably installed the CRM application onto the Apps/Batch server in the existing Peopletools folder.

Nicolas.
          • 2. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
            Bonjour Nicolas,

To keep all my peoplesoft servers on a virtual environnement i will use Oracle Database 11.1.0.6 for x86_64 (64 bit) with Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.2 template and install on it the peoplesoft CRM. it's a good idea ? and which files from http://edelivery.oracle.com i should use to install peoplesoft CRM database ?

sorry for those question i'm still beginner in peoplesoft.
            • 3. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
              Tbower-Oracle
              Just a note: You will also need to be sure your CRM database is at the same PeopleTools Rel as your App Server/Web Server VMs.
              • 4. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                Nicolas.Gasparotto
                Hi,
                To keep all my peoplesoft servers on a virtual environnement i will use Oracle Database 11.1.0.6 for x86_64 (64 bit) with Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.2 template and install on it the peoplesoft CRM. it's a good idea ?
                Yes, why not.
                But you could also want to minimize the number of virtual machines running in your env by adding the CRM database into the existing Peoplesoft OVM database server, check if there is enough space to host this CRM db in addition of the running HR db, if not you could increase the space or add a new disk.
                and which files from http://edelivery.oracle.com i should use to install peoplesoft CRM database ?
                You'll only need to download PeopleSoft Enterprise Customer Relationship Management 9.1 application, part number V17881-01 from "PeopleSoft Enterprise - Customer Relationship Management 9.1 Media Pack".
                sorry for those question i'm still beginner in peoplesoft.
                No problem, Peoplesoft is not so easy software anyway.

HTH,

Nicolas.
                • 5. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                  user708808 wrote:
                  Just a note: You will also need to be sure your CRM database is at the same PeopleTools Rel as your App Server/Web Server VMs.
                  That's a good point indeed. => The Peopletools version used in OVM is 8.50.02.

Nicolas.
                  • 6. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                    There is one point that I would like to what Nicolas has mentioned.
                    The AppBatch VM template contains a HCM 9.1 installation. This overlays the PeopleTools installation in the location known as PS_HOME /opt/oracle/psft/appbatch/tools. Nicolas already pointed out that HCM 9.1 is present in this location. This means that both PeopleTools and HCM 9.1 are installed to the same file system location. It should be kept in mind that PeopleSoft Applications do not coexist very well inside the same PS_HOME. The PS_HOME on this template was created primarily for HCM. It hasn't been tested with any other applications at this time. Hopefully the installation of CRM on top of HCM will not cause any conflicts. It is just something that I wanted to mention such that you are aware of it.
                    • 7. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                      Hi,

Yes, it's a good idea to reuse the OVM database server to install CRM database :-)

i download & upload V17881-01 file to my OVM database server.

i don't want to ask for too much but can you tell me how to perform the installation ? i did one time with root and i choosed thoses options :

Unicode Database
                      PeopleSoft Database Server component
                      /opt/PT9.1
                      PeopleSoft CRM Demo Database

in the end of the process of the installation i got that :

root@hrdb Disk1# cd /opt/PT9.1
                      root@hrdb PT9.1# ls
                      CRM_InstallLog.log data setup
                      root@hrdb PT9.1# cd data
                      root@hrdb data# ls
                      crengb.db crengl.db

Thank you in advance

Edited by: gainsroses@hotmail.com on 22 janv. 2010 16:19
                      • 8. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                        Nicolas.Gasparotto
                        You have certainly a point here. However, whether I would not recommend to "merge" two applications (HCM and CRM here) in the same PS_HOME for a production environment, we should replace the discussion in the context, a DEMO environment, where I don't see any reason to be scared of.

An other remark, this is about the memory allocated to the App/Batch VM, 1024Mb, which could be short if two appservers and process schedulers have to be run in parallel, you could either increase the RAM size of the VM or reduce the number of processes started by the application servers. You could have to do a similar action on the PIA image.

Nicolas.
                        • 9. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                          Nicolas.Gasparotto
                          i don't want to ask for too much but can you tell me how to perform the installation ? i did one time with root and i choosed thoses options :
                          I don't know if install Peoplesoft with root user is a good idea, I remember a lot of troubles with it on some OS. Anyway, you should use psadm2, the user which already owned the PS_HOME you want to install the CRM into.
                          in the end of the process of the installation i got that :

root@hrdb Disk1# cd /opt/PT9.1
                          root@hrdb PT9.1# ls
                          CRM_InstallLog.log data setup
                          root@hrdb PT9.1# cd data
                          root@hrdb data# ls
                          crengb.db crengl.db
                          Nothing wrong, install a Peoplesoft application does not "install" so many components, however, it looks you did not installed it in the existing PS_HOME, which is useless.
                          To define what is the PS_HOME, do the following :
                          su - pasdm2
                          cd $PS_HOME
                          pwd
                          And re-run your install into this given folder.

I have a question though, do you already have your CRM db ready, or do you have to build it ?

Nicolas.
                          • 10. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                            Hello,

I don't have any CRM db. should i build it from scratch ? and how ?

Thank you
                            • 11. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                              Nicolas.Gasparotto
                              gainsroses@hotmail.com wrote:
                              Hello,

I don't have any CRM db. should i build it from scratch ? and how ?
                              Yes, you should follow the Peopletools Installation Guide, everything is explained :
                              http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E15742_01/psft/acrobat/pt850_install_Oracle.pdf
                              But this is an other story, if you have questions, please post in the Peoplesoft General forum.

Good luck,

Nicolas.
                              • 12. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                                In the HCM 9.1 AppBatch and PIA templates the users are psadm1 and psadm2. Installation should be done using psadm1. Domain administration should be done using psadm2. Nicolas may have mixed it up so I just want to make this clear. The READMEs for the templates explain a little bit about this I believe. The main reason for this is for separation of ownership within the file system. This means that the user under whom the AppServer / PIA processes are running cannot write to PS_HOME. For this reason i suggest that any installation is done using user psadm1. Booting domains etc should be done using psadm2.
                                • 13. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                                  Oups, I was thinking about the domains, not the software itself.
                                  You are right of course, thank you for pointing this out.
                                  And from the doc, this is very clear :
                                  "_+*Task 2-4: Using the PeopleSoft Installation*+_
                                  +*PS_HOME*+
                                  +The binary installation files are placed into a secure PS_HOME directory at /opt/oracle/psft/appbatch/tools.+
                                  +This directory can only be written to by the PeopleSoft administrator, *psadm1*.+
                                  +*PS_CFG_HOME*+
                                  +The application server and Process Scheduler server configuration files are placed into PS_CFG_HOME.+
                                  +This directory is owned by psadm2. The PS_CFG_HOME path is based on the *psadm2* user’s $HOME location; that is, $HOME/ps/pt/<peopletools_version>.+"

Sorry for confusion.

Nicolas.
                                  • 14. Re: Peoplesoft CRM 9.1 with OVM templates
                                    The amount of memory disk, vcpus etc allocated to the VMs is pretty much the bare minimum that could be awarded to get them running and doing some very basic stuff for a couple of concurrent online users. Instead of shipping the templates with a higher baseline it was decided to ship them as a bare minimum and allow the administrator to award more resources as required. Needless to say adding domains or increasing the needs of the existing domains needs to state of the environment and its available resources to be re-evaluated.

If this ends up being something that every VM does in order to get started in the most modest scenario, it clearly would need to be built into the templates that are shipped.

One of the problems with OVM (and Xen hypervisors in general) is that they're not good at memory ballooning. If you define the VM as requiring 2GB RAM it allocates that to the VM whether the VM needs it or not and even more disturbing if you over-allocate memory it doesn't detect this as an error condition and provide a sensible error message to the admin to say that it isn't possible. Bit of a pain really.
                                    1 2 Previous Next