13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2010 11:02 AM by 22740 RSS

Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?

Hi Can I install both the Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC? I would like to create three VMs on the same PC for installing Peoplesoft templates.

Thanks,

Phil
        • 1. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
          Nicolas.Gasparotto
          Whether you can do it, it is not recommended and not supported.<br>
          Why not use an other VM onto your server to host your VM Manager ? There is even a template delivered on edelivery for Oracle VM Manager <s>2.1.5</s> 2.2.0<br>
          You'll get one server for Oracle VM Server hosting four templates (3 for Peoplesoft, and one for VM Manager).<br>
          <br>
          Nicolas.<br>

Two days ago, the template Oracle for VM Manager 2.2 has been released (OEL5.3 32bit).<br>
          Edited by: N Gasparotto on Jan 22, 2010 9:56 PM
          • 2. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
            Avi Miller-Oracle
            djplee88 wrote:
            Hi Can I install both the Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC? I would like to create three VMs on the same PC for installing Peoplesoft templates.
            You should use the Oracle VM Manager template instead. We have just released a template for Oracle VM Manager 2.2 on E-Delivery.
            • 3. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
              I just want to install Peoplesoft VM template on my home computer for learning. So, can I install both the Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?

Thanks.
              • 4. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
                Nicolas.Gasparotto
                Wasn't the response clear enough. Install Oracle VM Server, and use the Oracle VM Manager template, then the Peoplesoft template.
                Everything will take place on one and only one "PC".

Nicolas.
                • 5. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
                  I am very interested in this procedure too. But, I can't quite figure out how to do this. (Oracle VM server and Manager on one host).
                  I can't find the Oracle VM Manager template download on
                  http://edelivery.oracle.com/EPD/Search/handle_go
                  Which one should I choose?
                  Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Database Media Pack for x86_64 (64 bit) 2.2.0.0.0 B51906-02 FEB-17-2009 2 /4.9G
                  Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 Media Pack for x86_64 (64 bit) 2.2.0.0.0 B52026-04 DEC-08-2009 4 /3.4G
                  Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Enterprise Linux 4 Media Pack for x86_64 (64 bit) 2.2.0.0.0 B52054-05 DEC-08-2009 4 /3.7G
                  Oracle VM Template for Oracle WebLogic Server 10gR3 Media Pack for x86_64 (64 bit) 1.0.0.0.0 B53851-01 MAR-04-2009 1 /526M
                  Oracle VM Template for Oracle VM Template Builder Media Pack for x86_64 (64 bit) 1.0.0.0.0 B56666-01 OCT-04-2009 1 /898M
                  PeopleSoft VM Templates for HCM 9.1 Release Media Pack for x86 (64 bit) 1.0.0.0.0 B56990-01 OCT-26-2009 4 /12G
                  Oracle VM Templates for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.0 Update 1 with Tools 8.98 Update 2 Media Pack for x86 (64 bit) 1.0.0.0.0 B57173-01 NOV-11-2009 12 /
                  16G
                  Oracle VM Templates for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.1 Vision Media Pack for x86 (64 bit) 1.0.0.0.0 B57451-01 DEC-15-2009 11 /
                  38G

I have downloaded Server and Manager and created ISO cd images
                  I can install Oracle VM Server, get to the root command line.
                  Then what?
                  Can anyone could point me to some documentaion / instructions on how to install Oracle VM Server and Manager on 1 host?
                  Thanks in advance.
                  SG
                  • 6. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
                    Nicolas.Gasparotto
                    You'll need to download Oracle VM Server, then install onto your computer.
                    Then download the Oracle VM Manager template (under the 32bit section - since it is a 32bit application), and put this template in Oracle VM Server previously installed onto your PC.

Nicolas.
                    • 7. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
                      Nicolas,
                      Thank you for the reply.

I have followed the Oracle VM Manager install instructions in the README file but I have 2 questions.
                      When Deploy_Manager_Template.sh is executed, it prompts for network info, IP, gateway, etc.
                      1. Should the IP be the same as the Oracle VM Server machine?
                      2. The script prompts for Oracle VM Server login name, what should that be? ( I have tried many user names).

Thanks for your help
                      Steve
                      • 8. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
                        Nicolas.Gasparotto
                        user10992329 wrote:
                        When Deploy_Manager_Template.sh is executed, it prompts for network info, IP, gateway, etc.
                        1. Should the IP be the same as the Oracle VM Server machine?
                        No, this is the IP address of your new VM (like a new server) even if it hosted on Oracle VM Server you should give a new IP.
                        2. The script prompts for Oracle VM Server login name, what should that be? ( I have tried many user names).
                        From the readme of this Oracle VM Manager template :
                        "+Deploy_Manager_Template.sh is used to check the prerequisite and+
                        +create virtual machine.+

+During the first boot of the Oracle VM Manager virtual machine,+
                        +the Oracle VM Manager configuration process will create server pool+
                        +and import the Oracle VM Manager virtual machine.+

+Two OS user accounts are created by default:+
                        +user: root password: ovsroot+
                        +user: oracle password: oracle+
                        +...+
                        +4. Deployment Interview+
                        +=======================+
                        +The deployment script will prompt a user to enter+

+a) Agent password+
                        +The agent password is required for the prerequisites check.+
                        +...+
                        +c) Network configuration+

+Static IP address+
                        +Netmask+
                        +Default Gateway IP address+
                        +DNS Server IP address+
                        +Hostname+
                        +...+
                        +g) Data for the manager services configuration:+

+Oracle VM Server Pool Name+
                        +Oracle VM Server login user name+
                        +Oracle VM Server login password+
                        ..."
                        Please read carefully this doc.

Nicolas.
                        • 9. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
                          Oracle-user2
                          Hi Nicholas

Sorry if this is an obvious question to you.

Is
                          Oracle VM Templates for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.1 Vision Media Pack for x86 (64 bit)
                          available at edelivery.oracle.com compatible with windows 2003 server 64-bit? Or is it only compatible on Linux?

Sorry I ain't an admin guy.

Regards
                          Vee
                          • 10. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
                            Tommyreynolds-Oracle
                            Oracle VM (OVM) Server is a bare-metal install, so it will blow away your
                            current operating system to install itself. After that, you could reinstall
                            your Windows O/S as a domU guest. Then install a Linux domU guest O/S to run
                            the VM Manager. Then install as many Linux domU guests as you want.

You would need to configure the VM which runs the OVM Manager tool to start
                            automatically, but then it could control the rest.

But I don't think this is really what you want to do.

Since you just want to run PeopleSoft, why not install VirtualBox on your
                            Windows PC, then use it to run an Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL) guest O/S for
                            the PeopleSoft stuff? Since it is PeopleSoft you want to learn, this way you
                            will learn it from the installation to the user interface :)
                            • 11. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
                              user11987995
                              Thanks for your reply Tommy.

What kind of hardware would be sufficient to Peoplesoft on a desktop PC? I am leaning toward building a PC with an Intel i-860 (8 virtual CPUs), 8 GB RAM, and a 1 TB disk or maybe I should build a PC with an AMD Phenom II X6 when it comes out.

Phil
                              • 12. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
                                Has anyone installed PeopleSoft on a Virtualbox VM?

The way I anticipated using PeopleSoft was on a Windows laptop and having a VM to run a PeopleSoft 9.1 Demo. However it looks like if you try and install PeopleSoft VM Templates it will wipe off your windows OS! This part was not obvious when reading the instructions of installing the PeopleSoft 9.1 FSCM.

It would be interesting to learn if anyone has installed PeopleSoft using Virtualbox. I have used VirtualBox before on my iMac to run Windows and that has worked well. But I have not used it to run PeopleSoft.
                                • 13. Re: Install Oracle VM Server and VM Manager on the same PC?
                                  Hi
                                  I'm trying to do this also, and struggling at the OVS Manager level (I cannot connect to it).
                                  I'll keep you posted if it goes better.
                                  Take note that the PeopleSoft demo 9.1. is 64bit

Renauld