1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2011 11:22 AM by 612864 RSS

Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)

gj25
      What is the default JPA provider for the Weblogic Server 10.3.2? Is it still KODO or is it EclipseLink/Toplink?
      We have been using Eclipselink and Weblogic Server 10.3 with patch 5KXF (add Oracle Toplink 11g, including Eclipselink...) and it worked fine.
      We are trying to upgrade to 10.3.2 now and are having some problems. Do we need a similar patch for 10.3.2. And if not, how do we make sure we are properly configured to use EclipseLink.

In the server log I can see following messages:
      +####<Jan 22, 2010 7:36:37 PM UTC> <Info> <Security> <vs10app10> <CoreServer0> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '0' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<WLS Kernel>> <> <+
      +> <1264188997055> <BEA-000000> <Starting OpenJPA 1.1.1-SNAPSHOT>+

and

WARNING: Found unrecognized persistence provider "org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.PersistenceProvider" in place of OpenJPA provider.  This provider's properties will not be used.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
          dvohra21
          The default JPA provider in weblogic server 10.3.2 is eclipselink 2.0.
          • 2. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
            gj25
            Thanks for the answer,

Could we configure WLS 10.3.2 to use Eclipselink 1.2 or even 1.0.1 (one supported by WLS 10.3.0).

Also why are we seeing above OpenJpa messages in our WLS log.

Thanks, again.
            • 3. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
              User733951-Oracle
              If you have replaced the jpa provider in persistence.xml to swap out kodo, then these unwanted log messages are innocuous. This is known issue, tracked by oracle bug 8301665, which will be fixed in WLS 10.3.3.
              • 4. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                dvohra21
                Eclipse 1.2 may be configured with weblogic server by adding the 1.2 JAR files to classpath and removing the 2.0 JAR files.
                http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E15523_01/web.1111/b32441/asinteg.htm#BABDEGIA
                • 5. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                  I believe it's kodo 4.2 (openjpa 1.1.1) is the default provider
                  • 6. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                    I would be pleased if someone could provide the official answer: Kodo, EclipseLink, Hibernate, OpenJPA ...?
                    • 7. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                      dvohra21
                      Correction.
                      "Oracle Kodo is the default persistence provider for Oracle WebLogic Server 10n."
                      http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E15315_04/help/oracle.eclipse.tools.orm.doc/html/files/libAndFacetForJPA.html

EclipseLink may also be configured as the persistence provider.
                      • 8. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                        What are the steps to upgrade from 10.3.0 to 10.3.2?
                        I have OS: OEL4 , Oracle Db 11.1.0.6, I need to make it working for OIM9102 already installed(on WLS 10.3.0)

which patch should I run

Thnks for help

Regards,
                        Silviu
                        • 9. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                          Steve Button-Oracle
                          user12219863 wrote:
                          I would be pleased if someone could provide the official answer: Kodo, EclipseLink, Hibernate, OpenJPA ...?
                          h4. In WLS 10.3.2

a. We provide EclipseLink 1.2 as a WLS module, so there is no need to apply a patch or source it independently.
                          b. The default JPA provider used when none is specified in persistence.xml is OpenJPA/Kodo.

h4. In WLS 10.3.3 (not released yet)

a. We provide EclipseLink 2.0 as a WLS module.
                          b. The default JPA provider used when none is specified in peristence.xml is OpenJPA/Kodo by default. However this can be changed using a new JPAMBean we have introduced, thus allowing you to change the default to EclipseLink as desired.

-steve-
                          • 10. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                            Steve Button wrote:
                            user12219863 wrote:
                            h4. In WLS 10.3.2

a. We provide EclipseLink 1.2 as a WLS module, so there is no need to apply a patch or source it independently.
                            b. The default JPA provider used when none is specified in persistence.xml is OpenJPA/Kodo.

h4. In WLS 10.3.3 (not released yet)

a. We provide EclipseLink 2.0 as a WLS module.
                            b. The default JPA provider used when none is specified in peristence.xml is OpenJPA/Kodo by default. However this can be changed using a new JPAMBean we have introduced, thus allowing you to change the default to EclipseLink as desired.

-steve-
                            Steve, if 10.3.3 will have EclipseLink 2.0 bundled, does that mean 10.3.3 will also have the JPA 2.0 API bundled into the server? Or will we just have EL 2 available as a provider option, but still be limited to the JPA 1.0 API?
                            • 11. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                              Steve Button-Oracle
                              Good question!

We're still bundling the JPA 1.0 API as the WLS system module, which means for any container managed JPA interactions, it'll be JPA 1.0.

The TopLink team are planning on publishing information on how to use application managed interactions so that you can reach into the additional capabilities provided by EclipseLink 2.0 from the application.

We'll be looking to change this situation in a future patchset, where we'll provide the JPA 2.0 API as the WLS system module, allowing you to use container managed JPA 2.0.

We need to ensure that this has no impact on deployed applications that use JPA 1.0, when the patchset is applied, which is part of the reason why we are taking this stepped approach.

-steve-
                              • 12. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                                Steve Button wrote:
                                Good question!

We're still bundling the JPA 1.0 API as the WLS system module, which means for any container managed JPA interactions, it'll be JPA 1.0.

The TopLink team are planning on publishing information on how to use application managed interactions so that you can reach into the additional capabilities provided by EclipseLink 2.0 from the application.

We'll be looking to change this situation in a future patchset, where we'll provide the JPA 2.0 API as the WLS system module, allowing you to use container managed JPA 2.0.

We need to ensure that this has no impact on deployed applications that use JPA 1.0, when the patchset is applied, which is part of the reason why we are taking this stepped approach.

-steve-
                                Thank you for that info...it's great to hear such a straightforward answer!

So is it pretty safe to say that short of playing with JARs in the WL distribution (which I don't really want to do, and my infrastructure guys wouldn't let me do anyway), I'm not going to get JPA 2.0 working with container managed persistence units in 10.3? I've been playing with both EclipseLink 2.0 and the brand new Hibernate 3.5, and had issues with both that appear to be caused by the JPA 1.0 libraries in the system module. And apparently it's not as simple as using <prefer-application-packages>. Should I even keep on trying, or must I wait?

Apologies to the OP if I'm taking the thread perhaps a little off the original topic. But since it was talking about EL 2.0 and that leads to JPA 2.0 questions, I didn't think it was too far off topic.
                                • 13. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                                  Steve Button-Oracle
                                  gday Brett --

I have it on good authority from the TopLink team that they have been successful in using the JPA 2.0 API with an application managed EM, when it is embedded as a library within the application and the filtering classloader is configured to so that the javax.persistence.* classes from the application are used.

I just found this page on the EclipseLink site which provides a pretty good overview of what they are doing:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Development/JPA_2.0/weblogic#DI_1:_Alternative_3:_Application_Level_Shared_Library_-InUse

With WLS 11g R1 PS2 (10.3.3) the EclipseLink 2.0 module will be in place, so you only need to look at what they are describing there in terms of exposing the JPA 2.0 API to the application. The application level library approach doesn't require any real modifications to the server, and isolates your useage of this to just the applications that want to embed, configure and use it.

-steve-
                                  • 14. Re: Default JPA provider for Weblogic Server 10.3.2 (11g)
                                    Doesn't application-level approach present problems when you have several applications utilizing common EJBs with only EJBs actually injecting PUs. Won't I have to actually copy persistence.xml into WEB-INF of each application in that case? Is there any interim solution to allow for container-managed EM?

Edited by: arcivanov on Apr 8, 2010 6:53 PM
                                    1 2 Previous Next