3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2010 2:47 AM by KostasN. RSS

Node security

I am new to HFM and trying to understand what is "nodesecurity" in HFM. I understand the setting is done at the application level. On checking the HFM admin guide I found that Nodesecurity "Specifies the type of security access for nodes. This attribute is required. Specify Entity to check node data based on security access for the entity and Parent to check node data based on security access for the parent."

But its sounding confusing to me. If anybody can explain what exactly is the concept behind node security then I will really appreciate.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Node security
          VarunKaushal
          These options are related to security on the value dimension memebers.

Nick
          • 2. Re: Node security
            KostasN.
            In order to understand what means node security, you have first to understand the concept of the node. An entity can be shared by more than one parents, because you may have more than one entity hierarchies such as STATUTORY and GEOGRAPHY hierarchies. Then, your entity (say A) will be shared under parent S of the statutory hierarchy as well as under parent G of geographical hierarchy. Since this entity contributes to more than one entities, it may contribute different numbers to each of the parents. Therefore, in order to see the contribution of the entity A, you have to set your entity in point of view in combination with the parent, for example S.A or P.A. This is the meaning of the node. It is the combination of the entity with a particular parent. So, when you set security on the node, users who have access to the parent will also have access to the child entities. Users who have access to a base level entity however will not be able to see the parent's or any other base entities' data.
            • 3. Re: Node security
              KostasN.
              In order to understand what means node security, you have first to understand the concept of the node. An entity can be shared by more than one parents, because you may have more than one entity hierarchies such as STATUTORY and GEOGRAPHY hierarchies. Then, your entity (say A) will be shared under parent S of the statutory hierarchy as well as under parent G of geographical hierarchy. Since this entity contributes to more than one entities, it may contribute different numbers to each of the parents. Therefore, in order to see the contribution of the entity A, you have to set your entity in point of view in combination with the parent, for example S.A or P.A. This is the meaning of the node. It is the combination of the entity with a particular parent. So, when you set security on the node, users who have access to the parent will also have access to the child entities. Users who have access to a base level entity however will not be able to see the parent's or any other base entities' data.