5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 3:44 PM by Chet Justice

Javascript Tooltips in Answers

Chet Justice
      Long time listener, first time poster (in this forum).

I recently embarked on an endeavor to add a "fancy" tooltip to Answers, specifically to display the contents of the Description box from the Administration Tool (Presentation --> Table --> Column --> Properties).

I am fairly certain I added the reference to the javascript file correctly using a custom message XML file, but I did have to alter the treeutility.js file which comes with OBIEE.

If you want to see how I did it: http://www.oraclenerd.com/2010/01/obiee-tooltips-in-answers.html

My question: Is this supported?

chet
        • 1. Re: Javascript Tooltips in Answers
          Hi Chet,

I am guessing that manipulating the treeutility.js is not supported. The supported customizations I am aware of all involve copying files and renaming them so that your changes are not overwritten when a new upgrade comes along.

For example, you can copy the oracle style from C:\OracleBI\web\app\res\s_oracle10 and rename it to s_mystyle and used that without fear of having it wiped out by the next version or your OBIEE becoming unsupported. You can also make duplicates of the XML files in C:\OracleBI\web\msgdb and put them in C:\OracleBI\web\msgdb\customMessages. Anything in customMessages takes precedence over the main files and you are open to customize those files as you like.

That being said, those two options are pretty much it, in terms of supported customizations, for which I am aware.

Cool article though. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

-Joe
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Javascript Tooltips in Answers
            Chet Justice
            Thanks Joe.

Hadn't even considered renaming the javascript file, but that makes perfect sense. Hopefully my...um...naivete was evident.

I swear though, I took those three xml files, deliverstemplate, commonuitemplate and criteriatemplate and put them in the customMessages folder...then again, I tried about 1 billion combinations and probably missed that one.

I wish I could find the original link that pointed me to the documents to give them due credit...knowing how BI Server resolved those xml files was quite helpful.

Thanks again.

chet
            • 3. Re: Javascript Tooltips in Answers
              Chet Justice
              Thanks Joe.

Hadn't even considered renaming the javascript file, but that makes perfect sense. Hopefully my...um...naivete was evident.

I swear though, I took those three xml files, deliverstemplate, commonuitemplate and criteriatemplate and put them in the customMessages folder...then again, I tried about 1 billion combinations and probably missed that one.

I wish I could find the original link that pointed me to the documents to give them due credit...knowing how BI Server resolved those xml files was quite helpful.

Thanks again.

chet
              • 4. Re: Javascript Tooltips in Answers
                Hi again,

Was it Sunil's blog (http://sranka.wordpress.com/2008/05/23/style-sheet-changes-custom-look-and-feel-in-obiee/)? His post got me started on my first custom OBIEE changes.

What you mentioned above is a better idea. If you modify the dashboardtemplates.xml, you can customize dashboards to include your custom JS library. This way you don't have to modify the internal OBIEE library.

Like I said before, cool entry. Keep the creative ideas coming!

-Joe
                • 5. Re: Javascript Tooltips in Answers
                  Chet Justice
                  No it wasn't (but I wish I had looked now...). I'll be adding that blog to my reader.

Actually, I started here in the forums with a search on "javascript references" or some such thing. That led me to this: Javascript refrences

So Daan Bakboord is to thank for pointing me in the right direction.

chet