1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2010 11:44 AM by DBelt RSS

ORA-28001 Password expired

DBelt
      I am not able to connect to the database through OEM. The listener is up but the database link is down eventhough I can log onto the database with sqlplus.

On the OEM status page the following is in the "Agent Connection to Instance" section:

Status Failed
      Details ORA-28001: the password has expired (DBD ERROR: OCISessionBegin)

I changed the password sys account but the same still happens.

How do I get EM to log on?
        • 1. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
          rodneyli
          Is dbsnmp account locked? Can you log on as dbsnmp?
          • 2. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
            DBelt
            Yes, I successfully logged on to sqlplus with the dbsnmp account. The password was expired and I changed it.

Now what?
            • 3. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
              rodneyli
              when dbsnmp password is changed, you also have to update config files.
              Go to your targets.xml file and update:
              <Property NAME=”password” VALUE=”<[Your encrypted password]>” ENCRYPTED=”FALSE”/>
              Restart your dbconsole.

also check if sysman account is locked too. if it is, unlock it.if you are changing the password, you need to update emoms.properties file.
              oracle.sysman.eml.mntr.emdRepPwd= [Your encrypted password]
              oracle.sysman.eml.mntr.emdRepPwdEncrypted=False
              Restart dbconsole.

HTH
              • 4. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                DBelt
                Man, what a pain.

In your post there is the phrase "your encrypted password." What does this mean? Do I put my password here (I can't put my encrypted password here because I should have no way of knowing what it is -- the other alternative is to place the unencrypted password here which cannot be true otherwise all security has flown out the window.)

Is this just another instance of WOW (Way Oracle Works) or is there some better way to maintain things so that this painful process does not need to be repeated every year or less?
                • 5. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                  rodneyli
                  It should be unencrypted. Once you restart the dbconsole, it will change to encrypted and ENCRYPTED=TRUE.
                  <Property NAME=”password” VALUE=”<Your unencrypted password>” ENCRYPTED=”FALSE”/>

That's the way it works..unfortunately, password changes for dbsnmp and sysman aren't as simple as just alter user identified by...
                  • 6. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                    DBelt
                    Okay, I will give it a shot.

But is there some way to keep the passwords from expiring?
                    • 7. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                      DBelt
                      I made the change to the targets.xml. I still bet the connection down page but the page does show that the instance is running. How do I get the status page up now?

You also said to check the sysman account. How do I check it's status without OEM?

thanks, again
                      • 8. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                        rodneyli
                        In sql plus, try connecting as sysman.
                        The password expiring is more at the database level - check the default profile to see if you have a # of days set to expire for password.

Is your listener up and running?
                        • 9. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                          DBelt
                          I checked the sysman account. It was expired. I modified the emoms.properties file. and restarted the dbconsole (after stopping it, of course). I still get the down status page when I start the OEM. It says that the listener and database instance are up and running - it just seems that the OEM can't connect.
                          • 10. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                            rodneyli
                            Since you may have to reinstall dbconsole, let's try to delete all files and clean start dbconsole.
                            Do the following:
                            - stop dbconsole
                            - Delete the following files
                            ORACLE_HOME/<hostname_sid>/sysman/emd/state/*
                            ORACLE_HOME/<hostname_sid>/sysman/emd/collection/*
                            ORACLE_HOME/<hostname_sid>/sysman/emd/upload/*
                            ORACLE_HOME/<hostname_sid>/sysman/emd/lastupld.xml
                            ORACLE_HOME/<hostname_sid>/sysman/emd/agntstmp.txt
                            ORACLE_HOME/<hostname_sid>/sysman/emd/blackouts.xml
                            ORACLE_HOME/<hostname_sid>/sysman/emd/protocol.ini
                            - issue "emctl clearstate agent"
                            - start the dbconsole: "emctl start dbconsole"
                            - check the status of the agent until it comes up: "emctl status agent"
                            - force an upload: emctl upload

Post output of emctl status dbconsole.
                            Post your log files.
                            • 11. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                              DBelt
                              There were no files to delete.

When I stop the dbconsole I get the following response:
                              Stopping Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g Database Control ...

all attemps [sic] to stop oc4j failed... now trying to kill 9
                              --- Failed to shutdown DBConsole Gracefully ---
                              ... Stopped.

Response to "emctl clearstate agent":
                              [Banner]
                              EMD clearstate completed successfully

started dbconsole
                              dbconsole status:
                              Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g Database Control Release 11.1.0.6.0
                              Copyright (c) 1996, 2007 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
                              https://belt.devnet.local:1158/em/console/aboutApplication
                              Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g is running.
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Logs are generated in directory /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_5/belt.devnet.local_orcl/sysman/log

status of the agent:
                              Agent Version : 10.2.0.3.0
                              OMS Version : 10.2.0.3.0
                              Protocol Version : 10.2.0.2.0
                              Agent Home : /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_5/belt.devnet.local_orcl
                              Agent Binaries : /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_5
                              Agent Process ID : 27092
                              Parent Process ID : 27066
                              Agent URL : https://belt.devnet.local:3938/emd/main
                              Repository URL : https://belt.devnet.local:1158/em/upload
                              Started at : 1020-01-27 11:39:42
                              Started by user : oracle
                              Last Reload : 2010-01-27 11:39:42
                              Last Successful Upload : (none)
                              Last Attempted Upload : (none)
                              Total Megabytes of XML files uploaded so far : 0.00
                              Number of XML files pending upload : 1992
                              Size of XML files pending upload : 94.35
                              Available disk space on upload filesystem : 71.46%
                              Data channel upload directory : /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_5/belt.devnet.local_orcl/sysman/recv
                              Collection Status : Disabled by Upload Manager
                              Last attempted heartbeat to OMS : 2010-01-27-11:39:43
                              Last successful heartbeat to OMS : unknown
                              -------------------------------------------------------------
                              Agent is Running and Ready

Force upload response:
                              EMD upload error: uploadXMLFiles skipped :: OMS version not checked yet..

How do I post the log files to you? Some of them are quite large. The emoms.log file is 2 MB.
                              • 12. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                                rodneyli
                                Based on this info:
                                Total Megabytes of XML files uploaded so far : 0.00
                                Number of XML files pending upload : 1992

You definitely have lots of files that didn't get uploaded and thus upload was disabled. You will need to cleanup these files and restart dbconsole. Go through your log file emoms.trc, emoms.log and see if there is any flagrant errors. Copy and paste here ..
                                • 13. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                                  DBelt
                                  The files are too large to paste in here and I really don't quite know what to look for but here the "obvious" (at least to me) irregularities I find.

Here is the beginnig of the emoms.log file (I think the beginnig of the .trc file is the same):

2010-01-27 09:24:26,015 [ApplicationServerThread-2] ERROR conn.ConnectionService verifyRepositoryEx.818 - Invalid Connection Pool. ERROR = ORA-28000: the account is locked

2010-01-27 09:24:26,035 [ApplicationServerThread-2] ERROR eml.OMSHandshake processFailure.806 - OMSHandshake failed.(AGENT URL = https://belt.devnet.local:3938/emd/main)(ERROR = INTERNAL_ERROR)(CAUSE =java.sql.SQLException: ORA-28000: the account is locked
                                  )
                                  2010-01-27 09:24:26,142 [ApplicationServerThread-1] ERROR conn.ConnectionService verifyRepositoryEx.818 - Invalid Connection Pool. ERROR = ORA-28000: the account is locked

2010-01-27 09:24:26,163 [ApplicationServerThread-1] ERROR eml.OMSHandshake processFailure.806 - OMSHandshake failed.(AGENT URL = https://belt.devnet.local:3938/emd/main)(ERROR = INTERNAL_ERROR)(CAUSE =java.sql.SQLException: ORA-28000: the account is locked
                                  )
                                  2010-01-27 09:24:45,333 [ApplicationServerThread-8] ERROR app.SessionObjectManager sessionDestroyed.128 - java.sql.SQLException: ORA-28000: the account is locked

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-28000: the account is locked
                                  • 14. Re: ORA-28001 Password expired
                                    rodneyli
                                    You got it: ORA-28000: the account is locked
                                    This indicates the dbsnmp account or sysman accounts are still locked.

Can you connect to the database using both dbsnmp and sysman?
                                    Show output of SQL> connect dbsnmp and connect sysman
                                    1 2 Previous Next