8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 4:14 AM by user8702914

Import/Export xls Error

GiacomoD
      Hi,
      I'm facing a problem with import/export xls files.
      Once I selected the file the system doesn't return any response even if the file has very small size (about 70 KB).
      It happens both from workbench and web.
      Furthermore I can't to export something to Excel (I.e. the categories)

Any suggestion about it?

Thank you
        • 1. Re: Import/Export xls Error
          Matthias Heilos
          Hi,

Which version of FDM are you using?
          Has Excel been installed on the server? (Does anyone know if Excel 2007 is supported or only 2003?)

Check if the file is being created (look in Outbox\Excel files).

If so, then check the settings in Internet Explorer, you might just have a notification bar on the top of your browser window coming up - in this case you need to click on this bar and select the option saying "Allow blocked content" or "download object" (or similar).

How do you export from Workbench?

Hope this can bring us one step closer...

Regards,
          Matt
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Import/Export xls Error
            GiacomoD
            Hi Matt,
            thanks for your replay but I still have the problem...
            The FDM Version is 9.3.1 while the Excel version on the server is 2003.
            I tried to launch the export again but no bar has been shown and no files have been created.
            I set the FDM page as Trusted Site and set the secuirty level as Low but with no results .

I tried to save the mapping files as .csv and then as .tra and now it seems to work: I can upload maps but I'm still not able to export and load other files like periods...

Is there, by chance, any specific script for the XLS managment that I could missing???

Thanks

Regards
            • 3. Re: Import/Export xls Error
              Matthias Heilos
              Import XLS:
              Make sure the ups* range in your XLS workbook is defined to include all rows you want to import, including the two header rows.
              Please also be aware that XLS Import only adds records and does not update/overwrite what's already in there. If you want to change mappings/periods etc., you need to delete these records first and then add them again.

Export to XLS:
              Your settings for export sound ok. Maybe there's an issue with the MIME Types on the web server - but I'm not too familiar with that, maybe someone else has an idea on this.
              If you export to XLS a file should be created in Outbox\Excel (not during import, just want to make sure I'm clear on this).

Regards,
              Matt
              • 4. Re: Import/Export xls Error
                GiacomoD
                Import XLS:
                The ups setting seems to include all the rows I want to import.

Export XLS:
                I tried to check the xml contains the MIME type settings but I found the extencion .xls and it seems to be set correctly.

At this point I have really no idea...
                • 5. Re: Import/Export xls Error
                  John A Booth
                  It sounds like you have an Excel add-in installed. Remove any Hyperion SmartView/Essbase Add-ins from the FDM Server Excel.

Start Excel it and ensure no add-ins are there then try your process again.

If the add-ins exist it will have the hang behavior your are describing.

FDM support team is top notch and the Metalink entries are really good also by the way.

Regards,

John A. Booth
                  http://www.metavero.com
                  • 6. Re: Import/Export xls Error
                    GiacomoD
                    Hi John,
                    you're right I tried to perform the export and the import of XLS files in the Production environment where no add-in nor smartview are installed and it works.
                    I don't understand how Smartview can affect the FDQM normal functioning however...

Thanks indeed

Regards
                    • 7. Re: Import/Export xls Error
                      John A Booth
                      Having add-ins on the FDM Server install is not a supported configuration. Other than it just doesn't work I can't tell you much more than that.

Regards,

John A. Booth
                      http://www.metavero.com
                      • 8. Re: Import/Export xls Error
                        user8702914
                        I believe you can simply just un-register the excel add-in on the server and that should do the trick as well.