This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2010 5:10 PM by 451783 RSS

SNMP Agent wont start because of bind error

696384 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm trying to run the SNMP agents but they wont start because they cannot bind to port 171. My servers are not started as root they are started as a different user because of internal security policies. Below is the error. I'm not really sure where the configuration is getting port 171 either because I specified 161 in the configuration in the console. Any help would be appreciated.

<Feb 1, 2010 10:48:42 AM EST> <Error> <SNMP> <BEA-320950> <Failed to start the SNMP agent. If it failed to bind to the port, check if the por
t is available or the process has permission to bind to the port.
weblogic.diagnostics.snmp.agent.SNMPAgentToolkitException: monfox.toolkit.snmp.engine.SnmpTransportException: Cannot bind to port '171'. (jav
a.net.BindException: Permission denied)
at weblogic.diagnostics.snmp.agent.monfox.MonfoxV3Toolkit.startSNMPAgent(MonfoxV3Toolkit.java:82)
at weblogic.diagnostics.snmp.agent.SNMPV3Agent.initialize(SNMPV3Agent.java:50)
at weblogic.diagnostics.snmp.server.SNMPAgentDeploymentHandler.startSNMPAgent(SNMPAgentDeploymentHandler.java:402)
at weblogic.diagnostics.snmp.server.SNMPAgentDeploymentHandler.activateSNMPAgent(SNMPAgentDeploymentHandler.java:189)
at weblogic.diagnostics.snmp.server.SNMPAgentDeploymentHandler.activateDeployment(SNMPAgentDeploymentHandler.java:164)
Truncated. see log file for complete stacktrace
monfox.toolkit.snmp.engine.SnmpTransportException: Cannot bind to port '171'. (java.net.BindException: Permission denied)
at monfox.toolkit.snmp.engine.UdpTransportProvider.initialize(UdpTransportProvider.java)
at monfox.toolkit.snmp.engine.TransportProvider.newInstance(TransportProvider.java)
at monfox.toolkit.snmp.agent.SnmpAgent.<init>(SnmpAgent.java)
at monfox.toolkit.snmp.agent.SnmpAgent.<init>(SnmpAgent.java)
at weblogic.diagnostics.snmp.agent.monfox.MonfoxV3Toolkit.startSNMPAgent(MonfoxV3Toolkit.java:71)
Truncated. see log file for complete stacktrace

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points