This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 75 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 7:14 AM by vbaprog Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    Mark Reichman Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    I would also like to add...

It would be very nice to be able to point each block or form to a differenet datasource. JDBC support at the block level? Currently you log into one database and have to make dblinks in the DB to other datasources.
  • 31. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    247513 Newbie
    A few I quickly thought of (Note that I haven't had a look at 11g yet, so I'm not sure if any of these have been implemented already):

* Line Numbers within program unit editor
    * A new set of Richer UI components (eg: Accordion, Sortable Datagrids, etc)
    * Extended UI properties allowing greater flexibility in look-and-feel (colour gradients, 3D look, etc)
    * Dynamic creation of blocks/items during runtime
    * Code auto-completion/suggestion
    * Ability to apply multiple sub-classes to objects
    * FMB's to be stored as text so that DIFF can be performed - allows easier use of Subversion for source control.
    * Hierarchical Tree extension - allow multiple fonts (bold, italic) for different nodes.

Cheers,
    Marc.
  • 32. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    641395 Newbie
    Hi Grant,

First of all can you please tell me what is the expected life period of forms. You have almost killed it in 10g Release 3. Should we continue with forms or start migrating ourselves towards any other platform.
    Few suggestions:-
    1. Dynamic label for push buttons
    2. convert Text to object so that it can be manipulated at runtime
    3. facility to map screen co-ordinates out side the form

Thanks and regards

Sukanto
  • 33. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    Manu. Guru
    Hi Grant,

I would like to set the properties like Frame Title, Width, Height, Visible to the Frames (like items which comes under the Canvases) at run time.

Thanks & Regards,

Manu.
  • 34. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    poelger Journeyer
    Most things are already mentioned in previous posts, but here are some features I like:

*) improvement of the PL/SQL editor.
    (Many examples above like line numbers, code completion, ...)

*) forms modernization can be included in standard forms: implementation classes for items(eg. hyperlinks), buttons,...

*) Like Francois and Andreas wrote: creation of items at runtime, changing number of records at runtime
  • 35. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    robo_s Newbie
    dito on
    Mark Striekwold wrote:
    Forms Builder IDE
    - PL/Sql code completion
    - line numbers inside the editor
    - code formatter
    - fmb compare (differences between two pll's mmb's or fmb's)

Forms
    - CLOB / BLOB / XMLType as a column type
    - Drag and drop of columns
    - Resize of columns
    - New look and feel
    - A better text editor with more features like bold, italic, font size etc.
    - cancel execution of query but also of pl/sql
    - Intermingle of Swing components and Awt components inside pjc
    and i'll also like to have
    Forms
    - binary_float, binary_double as a column type
    - let the developer define a css Style-Sheet on an item/block/form XOR let the developer define an alphanummeric object-id for an item/block/form (to support css styling like "pjc look-and-feel" project does)

Edited by: robo_s on 04.02.2010 22:34

Edited by: robo_s on 04.02.2010 22:40
  • 36. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    Grant Ronald Employee ACE
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. Could I please ask that if you have a specific follow up question (and I see there are a few in here) can you please post this in a separate thread. I'm happy to address the questions you have, but please in a separate thread.
    Thanks
    Grant
  • 37. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    tracey.sheppard Newbie
    I'd like to be able to resize the form at runtime (by this I mean the objects on the form should grow/shrink), to cope better with different screen resolutions. If Forms did this my boss might even love Oracle again :)
    The IDE badly needs updating so that forms apps look more like 'proper' web apps. I think this is a big reason why people have started to move away from Forms. We're still using Forms and have dabbled in ADF. I think Forms would still be much quicker to develop in, even given more ADF experience, but you can't get the same look and feel without using lots of Java beans/PJCs.
    It would be nice to be able to create items at runtime.
    We use Webutil but it would be better if it could just become part of Forms.

We are still using Forms 10g by the way - have never tried 11g Forms yet.
  • 38. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    dirkvanhaute Newbie
    I vote for improvements for the end user prior to the development experience. There are far more people (having to) use the forms than forms developers.
    1. The dynamic resizing of screens should be rather easy, since java supports it out of the box.
    You only have to set the according properties of the java controls.
    This is very important because, without this, our existing screens need constant upgrade for new screen size standards.
    2. Perhaps add a (if not possible otherwise, non-editable) data grid which allows column move, resize, etc.
    3. I am sure Francois Degrelle is prepared to donate his code if he gets his dynamic columns & sound. ;-). I vote for the dynamic columns.
    4. Allow ctrl-z in fields (e.g. comment field).

For the developer
    5. Error handling : we need much more information during runtime errors, e.g. trigger name and line number (a complete stack trace would of course be nice but hey, the runtime is complex c programming. ).
    If even that is too difficult, at least context. E.G. FRM-41391 Cannot find visual attribute: invalid ID. : why not mention the name of the visual attribute we were trying to find?
    6. Access to the other rows & blocks without navigating, and without converting the data to strings.
    5. Find a solution for the FRM-41353 : cannot start another call_form

For the developer, som quick wins perhaps ?
    - buy yourselves an editor component and just build it in.
    - buy yourselves an swing screen designer and customize it for our components.

Kind regards,
    Dirk Vanhaute
  • 39. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    robo_s Newbie
    Is it possible to create a voting in this forum page? so that you're able to find out the most wanted features (candidates are "DYNAMIC RESIZING AND ITEM CREATION AT RUNTIME" and "PROGRESSIVE IDE" imho)

Edited by: robo_s on 05.02.2010 05:11
  • 40. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    dirkvanhaute Newbie
    Hi Grant,

You could use doodle [www.doodle.com|http://www.doodle.com/9mrc62q2smw9zp3f] for that.

Dirk.
  • 41. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    GregorM Explorer
    Hi.

There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread. What I would like to add/see is an integrated support for subversion revision control into developer.

Best regards.
  • 42. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    Jacob Madsen Explorer
    Hi Grant

Thanks for taking your time to ask the community :-) Many people have already made excellent points in this post, and I'd just like to add my wishlist.

- Forms Builder IDE:
    As many people have pointed out, this tool needs a serious overhaul. Especially the PL/SQL editor lacks in many ways, things like code completion/insight, intelligent formatting, navigation to procedures/functions though Object Navigator and all those other things, which became common in all other IDEs many years ago. Also, please improve the general stability of the product - remove errors like "Internal error (deplu 2)" and similar weird errors, which nobody but the developers of the IDE understand. These errors are still encountered frequently.

Grant, you might recall, that I asked you of this, when we met in Copenhagen for the Forms session you held at Oracle Denmark.

Also, please STOP changing the keyboard shortcuts from version to version, especially shortcuts which are NOT supported on non-US keyboards.... such as Ctrl+[ for arranging items both in Forms and Reports Builder - I have always wondered who came up with this BRILLIANT shortcut (irony intended), which is impossible to use on a Danish keyboard... the Forms 6i shortcut worked just fine... Don't change things just for the change's sake.

A minor quirk - implement proper mouse scrolling support in the IDE - so I no longer need a third-party utility to make this work... You gave us mouse scrolling support in the runtime in 10.1.2.2, now please add it to the IDE as well.

- Forms PL/SQL and Java API: Please... expose ALL object properties through SET/GET_xxx_PROPERTY. I've never understood, why certain properties are only changeable at design time, and you have to resort to Java Bean subclassing hacks to change them. One minor improvement - now that you no longer needs to support old Java Runtimes from 11g and upwards, please support maximizing the separateframe window in the right way. I know, that the old JRE's didn't support this, but it's for sure no problem in 1.6....

Having the Forms Java API fully documented in JavaDoc would also be a nice thing... and it would be a rather simple thing to do of you.....

- Official Java Web Start support: This has been discussed so many times, but especially now that Oracle owns the Java Web Start technology having acquired Sun, this really should be a no-brainer. I don't see the reason for not supporting it officially anymore, it's matured into a stable deployment platform now.

- Please change the way, Forms locks its FMX/PLX files, so we can update an FMX file in a production environment without have to resort to memory-comsuming hacks like the MMAP parameter. Currently, we fix this by making nightly update scripts, but at times it would be really great not having to say to customers "you have to wait until tomorrow to get this fix applied". This change alone would be enough for us to move from 10.1.2.3 to a newer version.

- Another MAJOR needed improvement - please FIX the the having-always-been-broken imaging support in Forms and don't make Forms crash on a READ_IMAGE_FILE, just because the file doesn't apply JPEG/JFIF version blahblah, which is impossible to explain to users. We make all kinds of weird workaround to try and overcome this.

This was what I could come up with at this point. Some of the points are probably repetitions mentioned by other users, but I just wanted to add my own focus points. I really hope some of them will be considered for Forms 12 or whatever the next version will be called.

Thanks in advance,
    Jacob
  • 43. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    Mark Reichman Newbie
    Another thing..

If I recall webutil only likes blobs and wont move clobs. How about adding clob movement from DB to client an client to DB?

How about adding the ability to display a blob from a database column directly from the app server without having to move the blob to the client's disk and use "cmd /c start :\filename.doc"....
  • 44. Re: What new features would you want to see in Oracle Forms?
    Grant Ronald Employee ACE
    Thanks for the comments so far. Even if the feature you requested has already been included, if you can also add your interest in it as well as that is helpful.

Regards
    Grant

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points