This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2012 11:50 AM by matthew_morris Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    antferr83 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Ok. So why for exam 1Z0-051, 1Z0-052 and many others there are books "Exame Guide"?
    It's not coherent about me.
  • 31. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    Those books are/were developed outside the Oracle Certification Program. The Oracle Certification Program does not develop or endorse specific books or exam guides.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
  • 32. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    835101 Newbie
    Hi Brandye,

Thanks for your useful comments. For my own 2cents about Oracle certification.....

I've been working as a PL/SQL Developer for about 6 years and recently decided to get certified by taking 051, 144 and 146. For me it was always about gaining knowledge to understand the concepts and building on what i know, rather than rely on brain dumps as a quick fix

I've been studying the excellent Oracle PL/SQL Programming by SF, and using the online docs when necessary and found this to be a useful strategy. I was surprised by how much i didn't know, (or i thought i did!) even after working with PL/SQL for a number of years. I would recommend anyone who works with PL/SQL to read this book as it forces you to reconsider your own approach to writing code and explains concepts that many developers seem reluctant to employ

IZ0-051 SQL Expert was fairly straight forward and the Oracle Press book by Steve O'Hearn was useful for this.

I'm taking the IZO-144 next week, and found that nearly all of the exam topics are covered in Steven's book. However, i do have a couple of questions about the exam objectives as set out here:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=41&p_exam_id=1Z0_144

Some of the objectives for this are unclear, i would be grateful if you could clarify them? Or point me to someone who can?

[] Handle exceptions in procedures, remove a procedure, and display a procedure's information
    [] Work with packages (create package specification and body, invoke package subprograms, remove a package and display package information )
    What is meant by "information", does this mean the meta data in the DD views?

[] Control the run-time privileges of a subprogram
    How would you control run-time privs of a subprogram? You can only set AUTHID at a package level, not for a subprogram

Thanks,
    Crispo
  • 33. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    842630 Newbie
    Hi, Crispo
    Procedure information can be any info (status, creation date, source code, info on whether it runs with invoker/definer's right, also errors, etc.). The same could be true for packages.

Apart from specifying AUTHID clause for the package, you can do so for a local subprogram (stored procedure or a function). Please check CREATE PROCEDURE or CREATE FUNCTION statement specification.
  • 34. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    848769 Newbie
    Hi all

I have just done this exam, unfortunately i didn,t pass but i found to be truth what experts said, this certification is more intended for people that is familiarized with the language, this made me very sad because i invested a lot of hours after work and readed 4 books, however reading this forum made find out that achieving this cert is not chunking and beating exams like crazy. Hope some of you guys want to contact to share material for studying and sharing points of view, do not give up keep trying hard.
  • 35. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    75407 Expert
    user10731795 wrote:
    Hi all

I have just done this exam, unfortunately i didn,t pass but i found to be truth what experts said, this certification is more intended for people that is familiarized with the language, this made me very sad because i invested a lot of hours after work and readed 4 books, however reading this forum made find out that achieving this cert is not chunking and beating exams like crazy. Hope some of you guys want to contact to share material for studying and sharing points of view, do not give up keep trying hard.
    Well sorry to hear you did not pass.

Your comments are useful in indicating that good knowledge and experience of the PL/SQL langage is required for achieving the PL/SQL OCA certification. I think that was the intention. Perhaps you did not practice enough?

I am a little worried about your comments about wanting people to share material .... it almost sounds like you are looking for better brain dumps .... i am sure that is not what you intended but that is how it can be read.

Hopefully the following links are useful:

http://blogs.oracle.com/certification/2010/07/0264.html
    http://blogs.oracle.com/certification/2008/10/question_of_the_day_how_to_pre.html
    http://blogs.oracle.com/certification/2009/05/the_route_you_choose.html

Dont forget the Oracle Documentation: http://tahiti.oracle.com or http://docs.oracle.com and the authorative source of documentation as well.

Anyway keep trying ... these are not meant to be easy!
  • 36. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    848769 Newbie
    I thank your comments and use this chance to make very clear that i do not encourage the usage of brain dumps since it can risk your investion and is not an ethical practice.

It is true, this cert demands practice, hereby i recommend the use of a workbook, for people like me, that is not using Oracle on job and would like to move INTO from other systems. That's the material what i refered to in my previous comment.
  • 37. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    75407 Expert
    user10731795 wrote:
    I thank your comments and use this chance to make very clear that i do not encourage the usage of brain dumps since it can risk your investion and is not an ethical practice.

It is true, this cert demands practice, hereby i recommend the use of a workbook, for people like me, that is not using Oracle on job and would like to move INTO from other systems. That's the material what i refered to in my previous comment.
    Please to hear you take this viewpoint. The term share materials is so often used as a code for braindump. But then innocents end up get caught using it.

Its also worth remembering your own examples are sometimes worth more than a workbook. Create your own tables and think up your own examples .... it often what one has to do on the job to see how something will work (or not work) .... and you may find you learn quicker that way.

Regardless good luck. Of course oracle will say attend training.
  • 38. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    848913 Newbie
    Hi folks,
    I happen to lay my hands on Oracle database 11g PL/SQL Programming by Michael McLaughlin.
    However throughout this forum, moderators and other expert have been talking of some other book by the name Oracle PL/SQL Programming by Steven Feuerstein.
    I want to know that if the book I have mentioned is good enough to pass the exam. I plan to buy the Steven's book if it has anything extra.
  • 39. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    908788 Newbie
    I have read the entire thread. Information regarding the PL/SQL study materials are really useful. But I want to know that is there any student guide from Oracle is available or not for *1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL* . Can anyone please help me.
  • 40. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    bigdelboy Pro
    kaushikd wrote:
    I have read the entire thread. Information regarding the PL/SQL study materials are really useful. But I want to know that is there any student guide from Oracle is available or not for *1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL* . Can anyone please help me.
    If you have read and appreciated the thread you may know how I hate the word materials. The last person who said it did not get the using braindumps is cheating link an promptly referenced a braindump.

So here is a using braindumps is cheating link:

http://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0477

that over I shall now answer you question:

There is no direct student guide for 1z0-144 that is not unauthorised. ie nothing of the ilk of Oracle Press Books as per 1z0-051. Searching for one will 99.9% lead you to braindumps.

Oracle may provider you with an e-kit if and only if you attended the associated training course; this should be strongly connected to the exam ... but do not exam a 1:1 with the exam topics. Such a thing is watermarked the attendees email.

Rgds
  • 41. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    908788 Newbie
    Thanks a ton bigdelboy.

Btu I dont want to mean saying the materials word. I just want to mean it student guide. two days back I passed 1Z0-051 SQL Fundamentals I with 90% score. for the exam student guide was pretty helpful. so I asked about the existence of PLSQL student guide for my next exam.

Please let me know helpful suggestions. Thanks in advance. :)
  • 42. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    bigdelboy Pro
    kaushikd wrote:
    Thanks a ton bigdelboy.

Btu I dont want to mean saying the materials word. I just want to mean it student guide. two days back I passed 1Z0-051 SQL Fundamentals I with 90% score. for the exam student guide was pretty helpful. so I asked about the existence of PLSQL student guide for my next exam.

Please let me know helpful suggestions. Thanks in advance. :)
    When you say 'the exam student guide was pretty helpful' this really isn't specific. Who are the authors of this guide you used? Please be specific.

Typically most 'student guide' can only be obtained by doing a course and may be only for an individual. You instance Oracle produces an e-kit relating to the training course associated with this exam ... bu these are specific to an individual:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=41&p_org_id=1080544&lang=US&p_exam_id=1Z0_144
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/show_desc.redirect?dc=D64256
  • 43. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    887034 Newbie
    I didn't pass it too.
    In my opinion, the exam is geared towards someone who has already passed 1z0-147, and is now gearing towards OCP / revalidating for 11g / DBA role.
    Shame i didn't know this before trying to pass the exam, as in the "official Oracle docs" those two exams are 95% the same.
  • 44. Re: 1Z0-144: 11g Program with PL/SQL
    bigdelboy Pro
    884031 wrote:
    I didn't pass it too.
    In my opinion, the exam is geared towards someone who has already passed 1z0-147, and is now gearing towards OCP / revalidating for 11g / DBA role.
    Shame i didn't know this before trying to pass the exam, as in the "official Oracle docs" those two exams are 95% the same.
    sorry to hear you did not pass this.

1z0-144 is a recent exam and i understand Oracle aimed to set the pass diffculty at the same level as 1z0-147.

IMHO 1z0-147 is an older, and poorer exam; the high pass mark is an indicator of an issue. It is slightly biased towards Oracle Forms. And IMHO people learning for 1z0-147 would not be appoaching from a best current PL/SQL practice viewpoint.

1z0-144 was designed to be more relevant to PL/SQL programmers. It is not directly relevant to DBA's .... and course topics would have very limted synergy with DBA Certifications. However many DBA's will want to have good PL/SQL knowledge, an many many use it as part of their jobs, others will not.

These are my opinions only, but your feedback is perhaps useful to Oracle.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points