8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2010 6:13 AM by 756051 RSS

Accessing weblogic console on linux guest on VM Player

Hi
      wonder if aonyone can help please ?

I want to access the Weblogic console (weblogic running on linux guest) from the XP host.

I've been told I need to use a bridged connection - but how do I actually set this bridged connection up ?

I have the 'default' VM player set-up currently with vmnet0 (to too auto bridged)vmnet1(set tohost only) and vmnet 8(set to NAT).

It's my understanding that in thsi 'default' configuration that I can't access the weblogic console from the host.

I have the VMWare Virtual Network Adapter exe insalled (however this is the cut-down one that comes with VM Player, not the one with workstation that has the tabs)

Any ideas on how to get this working ?

Thanks for your help in advance.
        • 1. Re: Accessing weblogic console on linux guest on VM Player
          Hi,

Basically In order to access weblogic console from xp host or any host, You just need the servers IP address [Server in the sense the box where weblogic is installed, It can be either a VM or physical server], Lets say it its ip address is 192.168.1.50 then in your host machine [ host machine can be xp/unix or any os which has an valid internet exploer installed], Open an internet browser [ firefox/ ie/ chrome / safari ] type this address: http://192.168.1.50:7001/console where 7001 is the default port if you have specified any specific port during weblogic installation then use that port.

So, You dont need any VM player installed to access weblogic console on host. You said weblogic is running on unix-guest operating system which is in VM and I belive during Linux installation on VM its is configured a bridge networking. When you configure as bridge VMware or any other virtual machine software will assign an ip address from your dhcp host which is by default your router. So, First get the ip address from the linux os and use the same ip address to access the console from your xp host.

I hope I explained clearly and works.

Let me know if you still have issues.

Naveen
          • 2. Re: Accessing weblogic console on linux guest on VM Player
            Hi
            thanks

which IP address is the VM machine ? Is it the IP in /etc/hosts on the linux OS - or is it the IP address of the VMnet0 or VMnet8 virtual adpaters ?

I'm not sure I have a bridged connection between host > guest ? If I need this how do I set it up ? IS it via the VM preferences tab ? or via Virtual network editor (on the XP host ) or do I check the 'vmware bridged protocol box' in the properties box in network connections (on xp host) ? There are so many different ways I'm not sure how to configure this !
            • 3. Re: Accessing weblogic console on linux guest on VM Player
              Irrespective of type of network connection get the IP address of the server where weblogic is installed . In your case you installed weblogic on linux server and this Linux server is installed on VM. So login as root and type "ifconfig" then you will see the ip address under eth0. The second line of the eth0 will give you the IP address and it is labeled as inet addr:, and additional info. [ Eg. *inet addr:192.168.1.3*  Bcast:192.168.xxx.xxx  Mask:255.255.255.0 ]

Now take this ip address and go to your internet explorer/firefox on XP machine and type this url http://<YourServerIPAddress>:<portnumber>/console

Naveen
              • 4. Re: Accessing weblogic console on linux guest on VM Player
                Hi
                thanks

yes I've put the eth0 int address in but I get a "no route to host" error.

On my virtual machine my vmnet0 adapter is set to 'auto bridged', with vmnet1 host only and vmnet8 NAT.

In linux my etc/hosts only contains the standard loopback ip ie 127.0.0.1

On my XP host I have Vmnet1 and vmnet8 and local area connections all with 'VMware Bridge Protocol' unchecked.

I think somewhere along the line the guest isn't accepting traffic from the host, but am not sure how to configure either the guest or host(if I indeed do need to make changes to the host) to do so

Thanks for any help in advance !
                • 5. Re: Accessing weblogic console on linux guest on VM Player
                  Can you please paste the details from the host and guest operating systems.

#1. Host: XP machine and from command prompt type ipconfig and paste it.

#2. Guest: unix machine i.e VirtualMachine : login as root and issue ifconfig and paste it.

If you want to mask the IP address then change them to some other ip and paste it

This will help me a lot to fix your issue. I had this issue earlier and I feel we can fix it.

Regards,
                  Naveen
                  • 6. Re: Accessing weblogic console on linux guest on VM Player
                    Hi Naveen,

I have same problem, i want to access guest (linux) database (oracle) from host (winxp). can you help me to configure.

I have vmnet1 and vmnet8 on host (winxp)and their ip address are as follow.

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
                    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 162.168.1.11
                    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 162.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
                    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 162.168.1.10
                    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 162.168.1.1

And ifconfig from guest (linux) is as follow

eth0     link encap:Ethernet HWadd 00:0c:29:65:40:21
                         inet add:162.168.1.50 bcast:162.168.1.255 mask:255.255.255.0
                         inet6 add:fe80:20c:29ff:fe65:402a/64 scope:link
                    • 7. Re: Accessing weblogic console on linux guest on VM Player
                      Hi,
                      Greetings!

To be clear, You have installed oracle database on guest-linux OS and want to access from Host xp.

If your database SID is myorcl and listener port is 1521 then first run the below command from windows XP

c:\>telnet 162.168.1.50 1521

If the above commands works then you will see blank screen and this confirms that you are able to talk to listener. Next step is use sqldeveloper and add a new connection with basic setup and it should work.

If in case the telnet gives unable to connect then you have to open the 1521 port on linux. Open the firewall and add an exception.

If you can clearly give the the error what you get then It will be more useful to debug

Naveen
                      • 8. Re: Accessing weblogic console on linux guest on VM Player
                        Hi

If you know where the weblogic server is installed and if you are able to access the config.xml file, then check in the listen address and listen port field of AdminServer if anything is mentioned. If the listen address field has any dns name mentioned then try to open the admin console from your XP machine with that http://dnsname:port/console.
                        This is also one of the way that you can open the admin console.

Thanks,
                        Sreedevi