7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2011 7:31 AM by EdStevens RSS

Installing oracle 9i in windows 7

Hi,
      Can anyone help me how to install oracle 9i in windows 7.I tried installing and i got some errors and the installer closed
        • 1. Re: Installing oracle 9i in windows 7
          Hans Forbrich
          veeravicky22 wrote:
          Hi,
          Can anyone help me how to install oracle 9i in windows 7.I tried installing and i got some errors and the installer closed
          - Given that Oracle9i was written to a much older kernle API, and
          - given that no Oracle product is certified for Windows 7 (and the first will likely be database 11gR2), and
          - given that very few people have succeeded in installing 11g, never mind 10g, on Windows 7

I suspect you are looking at a long wait for assistance.

Why are you trying to do this?
          • 2. Re: Installing oracle 9i in windows 7
            I'm also having this issue.

We are running a 9i database but our client machines will be migrating to Windows 7 Enterprise in the next month.

I have tried installing the client tools with compatibility mode and still can't install.

Any assistance that could be given will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Damian
            • 3. Re: Installing oracle 9i in windows 7
              Because of 'but our client machines ... ' I guess this is a production environment and not only 'just for fun'. And you still want to run a desupported database version on a platform,where it never will be supported? Either you don't upgrade to Windows 7 or you wait until 11gR2 is released for Windows.

Werner
              • 4. Re: Installing oracle 9i in windows 7
                Oracle 9i client can be installed in Windows 7 by setting for all EXE files windows xp SP2 compatibility and run as administrator.
                Start the install process by running install.exe not setup.exe.
                If you get errors ignore and reinstall after.

Good luck!
                • 5. Re: Installing oracle 9i in windows 7
                  can you explain how?
                  managed to run as admin, but what file to be set to SP2 compatibility?
                  • 6. Re: Installing oracle 9i in windows 7
                    i'm having a problem because after i enable the compatibility of setup.exe and successfully installed the oracle 9i, i can't find oracle in the odbc administrator. only sqlserver can be found. does someone faced this kind of problem and luckily solve it?. please help. thank you
                    • 7. Re: Installing oracle 9i in windows 7
                      EdStevens
                      882953 wrote:
                      i'm having a problem because after i enable the compatibility of setup.exe and successfully installed the oracle 9i, i can't find oracle in the odbc administrator. only sqlserver can be found. does someone faced this kind of problem and luckily solve it?. please help. thank you
                      Ignoring that you are hijacking an older thread when you should have started your own . . . .

The ODBC drivers aren't installed by default. Run OUI, select the existing Oracle HOme, select "custom" installation, select 'windows components.'