10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2010 10:21 AM by gdarling - oracle RSS

ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)

Hello,

I am trying to install Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) for Windows 32-bit Release 10.2.0.2.21 on a machine with Windows Server 2008 64 bit.

I have gone through the installation instructions
      http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odpnet/install10202.html

and pretty sure that all the pre requisites are satisfied.

I am having .Net framework 3.5,Windows server 2008 64 bit ,Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008.

But my requirement is to access an oracle database that is installed on other server from Business Intelligence Studio 2008(SSIS ).I want to use the Oracle Provider for OLE DB to access the oracle server from inside the SSIS package.

The version of Oracle database is 8i and OS of the server is Solaris.

Please guide me what all I need to install on my machine to access the data of the Oracle database that is installed on a different server.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)
          gdarling - oracle
          Hi,

Since 11g cant connect to 817, you'll need to go with 10.2 client.

32 bit software (BIS) requires 32 bit Oracle client software.
          64 bit software (SQLServer x64) requires 64 bit Oracle client software.

10.2.0.4 is the miniumum version for Win2008, which you get via
          1) install 10203 for Win2008 -
          http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10203vista.html
          or
          http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10204_winx64_vista_win2k8.html
          2) patch it to 10204, which is on My Oracle Support as patch number 6810189

Hope it helps,
          Greg
          • 2. Re: ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)
            Hello Greg,

Thank you for your reply.

I should have mentioned in the details about using Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2.

The issue that we are facing is basically on Microsoft 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition while installing 10g and 11i Connection Drivers.

We have verified on plain Windows 2008 Server, the installation of 11i(*_11107_w2k8_x64_production_client_*) is working, but when we try it on 2008 R2, it fails.

We had also tried 10g(*ODAC10203x64*) installation on 2008 as well as 2008 R2, but it also had failed - giving error like

============
            Java (TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition binary has stopped working.

The details given are
            --------------

Problem Event Name:     APPCRASH
            Application Name:     javaw.exe
            Application Version:     5.0.40.5
            Application Timestamp:     42a019e4
            Fault Module Name:     StackHash_5c81
            Fault Module Version:     6.0.6001.18000
            Fault Module Timestamp:     4791adec
            Exception Code:     c0000374
            Exception Offset:     00000000000a6e97
            OS Version:     6.0.6001.2.1.0.274.10
            Locale ID:     1033
            Additional Information 1:     5c81
            Additional Information 2:     fa1981fc0da3377cbbec45e762388188
            Additional Information 3:     7698
            Additional Information 4:     7defb6f15001721d919a359fb7888c17

============

Please let me know if you have specific observations / recommendations on this.

Regards,
            Bhavesh Jain
            • 3. Re: ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)
              gdarling - oracle
              Hi,

There is currently no Oracle software supported on Win2008 R2 or Win7. 11.2 will be when it comes out some time this quarter.

Your 11g client connects to an 8i database? I havent tried it myself but it is my understanding that is not supposed to be allowed.

I'd recommend you try the versions mentioned above if you don't care that its not supported and just want to try to get it working.

What error do you get trying to install 11g? A prerequesite fail? You may be able to get the software to install by using the -ignoreSysPrereqs switch in the OUI when you install, but I'm hesitent to recommend it as it will leave you in an unsupported configuration if you do get it installed.

Hope it helps,
              Greg
              • 4. Re: ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)
                Hi Greg, I am having similar problem, but with different environment. My problem is I can't connect to Oracle from SQL server after configuring the linked server.

I just installed a fresh 11g client on the server the SQL Server 2005 is running with the right tns name, but not connection. Can you tell me what I need to do - will appreciate it.

What I have:
                ---Save server with both Oracle 11g and SQL Server 2005 installed
                ---My server is a 64bit Windows 2003
                ---Just installed 11g client after reading the instruction from OTN
                ---Configure OraOLEDB.Oracle base on Oracle recommendation (Allo inprocess and Dynamic Parament checked)
                ---And lastly create Linked Server with all necessary parameter

Is there anything I need to do to get connected to Oracle? Do I need to install Oracle ODAC as some have suggested - I thought I already have ODAC.

Kind of running out of idea - needs help.
                • 5. Re: ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)
                  Hi Greg, I am having similar problem, but with different environment. My problem is I can't connect to Oracle from SQL server after configuring the linked server.

I just installed a fresh 11g client on the server the SQL Server 2005 is running with the right tns name, but not connection. Can you tell me what I need to do - will appreciate it.

What I have:
                  ---Save server with both Oracle 11g and SQL Server 2005 installed
                  ---My server is a 64bit Windows 2003
                  ---Just installed 11g client after reading the instruction from OTN
                  ---Configure OraOLEDB.Oracle base on Oracle recommendation (Allo inprocess and Dynamic Parament checked)
                  ---And lastly create Linked Server with all necessary parameter

Is there anything I need to do to get connected to Oracle? Do I need to install Oracle ODAC as some have suggested - I thought I already have ODAC.

Kind of running out of idea - needs help.

******************************************************************************
                  NOTE:
                  I am sorry for posting the same problem twice - I used my account that I created when this account password got lost.

Edited by: Albert Zaza on Feb 19, 2010 9:42 AM
                  • 6. Re: ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)
                    gdarling - oracle
                    This doesnt sound like a similar problem, as the OP is having issues getting the installer to run in the first place. It'd be better to open your own thread.

However, the key piece of information you need to provide along with the information above is, "what error do you get?"

Did you install 32 bit client software, or 64 bit?

I'd recommend checking out the following note available on My Oracle Support:
                    Note 781432.1 Considerations Using The Oracle Client With Microsoft Products on 64 bit Operating System

Cheers,
                    Greg
                    • 7. Re: ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)
                      Gred,

Here's the error:
                      Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "MY_LINKED_SERVER".
                      OLE DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "TPISDB06" return message
                      "Ora-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error:7303)

I had only 64bits client and just installed the 32bits and trying to restart my server.
                      • 8. Re: ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)
                        Greg,

Thanks for your help - I installed both 32 and 64 bits Oracle client and configured new tnsnames in the two different client homes (Client_2 & client_3) and recreat my linked server - walah it works.
                        • 9. Re: ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)
                          Hi!

I´m trying install ODAC 10 fo Windows Server 2008 not R2 but i´m getting de Java Error.

How i can solve this?
                          • 10. Re: ODAC 10.2.0.2.21 Installation failed on Windows Server 2008 (x64 bit)
                            gdarling - oracle
                            Hi,

See my first response on this thread. You need to install ODP and such via the Win2k8 bundle.

Hope it helps,
                            Greg