6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2010 7:55 AM by 757382 RSS

Connecting to VM Manager on localhost with VM Server

I'm new to Linux and VM, so I knew this would be a challenge. I just keeping telling myself frustration and obsessive behavior are good things!

I am trying to install HCM 9.1 VM Templates onto a single workstation (4 gig Memory/Dual Processor) and have hit a small wall --- the first, I am sure, of many.

I installed the VM Server onto a clean hard drive.
      I installed the VM Manager (after resizing the default partition)
      I concatenated the HCM Database Images, used tar to extract and am ready to import them.

The documentation now says: Log into Oracle VM Manager and navigate to the Resources Tab.

Question(s):
      Since it appears I don't have a graphical Linux install from the VM Server image, how do I log onto the VM Manager and display it? Can it be controlled from the command line?

All that I have on the hard drive now is the VM Server, the VM Manager and whatever those installs put on the drive. Do I need to install something else?

Hoping others have been here!

Thank you,
      Patrick Harley Semple
        • 1. Re: Connecting to VM Manager on localhost with VM Server
          Nicolas.Gasparotto
          It would require a remote client to connect to the VM Manager with a browser interface through the VM Manager url.

Nicolas.
          • 2. Re: Connecting to VM Manager on localhost with VM Server
            Thanks Nicolas.

My goal, if it is possible, is to get everything onto a laptop for traveling, but it sounds like a chicken/egg type of problem: I need the VM Manager to load a VM, but I can't load the VM Manager because I don't have a graphical browser, which I could get if I loaded a VM.

So I assume, at least to get started, I will need a separate machine to remote in and run the VM Manager.

Is my dream of single-machine domination not possible? Will I always need a remote machine or, once setup, is it possible to create a VM to run the VM Manager?

I do remember the docs mentioning VNC software, so I will go research that.

Really appreciate your help. This, at least, gives me something to do while I am on the road --- nothing on TV and my wife won't let me date :>).

Take care,
            Patrick Harley Semple
            • 3. Re: Connecting to VM Manager on localhost with VM Server
              Nicolas.Gasparotto
              Anyway, with 4Gb RAM, it could be a dream to have all running. Oracle VM Manager requires 1 or 2Gb RAM (no really sure), Peoplesoft OVM database 2Gb, Peoplesoft OVM App/Batch 1Gb and Peoplesoft OVM PIA 1 Gb, without forget few hundreds Mb for the Oracle VM Server.
              All together it is >5g.

Nicolas.
              • 4. Re: Connecting to VM Manager on localhost with VM Server
                Hi Nicolas,

If I kicked the machine up to 8gig, would it still be just a dream? Wiould I still need a remote machine just to run the VM Manager interface? (I could get a small netbook if the requirements were minimal for memory, etc).

Thanks again
                • 5. Re: Connecting to VM Manager on localhost with VM Server
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                  8Gb is much reasonnable indeed.
                  Well, generally, and to be purist, you must use a remote client to access to your Oracle VM.
                  Right now, if you have some time to spent you could try to translate the VM templates to VirtualBox, install VirtualBox onto your machine and play with it, but it looks rather complicated.
                  An other way, the one I choosed some time ago, is working through VMWare Server. It is certainly not recommended, but understandable in your case.
                  You could :
                  1. install VMWare Server on top of your OS
                  2. create a virtual machine and installed Oracle VM Manager
                  3. create a virtual machine for each Peoplesoft VM template you want to work on
                  4. in every VMWare image created in step 3, install Oracle VM Server
                  5. plug the 3 Oracle VM Server images created in step 4 to your Oracle VM Manager (than you can access from your host OS).
                  6. follow the Peoplesoft instruction to initiate the templates
                  I tried to described all the steps for such architecture in my blog :
                  http://gasparotto.blogspot.com/2009/11/oracle-vm-template-for-peoplesoft-in.html
                  (that was on CentOS, but it is basically the same for every OS)
                  And bear in mind, it is not supported and not recommended, but since your wife won't bother for a while, then you could have a try.

Nicolas.
                  • 6. Re: Connecting to VM Manager on localhost with VM Server
                    Nicolas,

Sounds like an interesting exercise, I will see what I can do. I will let you know how it goes --- you may not hear from me for a few months :>)

Thanks again,
                    Patrick Harley Semple